Jump to content
Karan Mehta

CR1 to IR1 - Entering USA 2 Years after marriage

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

 

Background - 

 

I married a US citizen on 17th Dec 2017 and my visa got approved in Oct 2019 and got a CR1 stamp on my passport. After reading online (mainly this forum), I realised that entering the USA after 2 years of marriage can be a good aid to get CR1 converted to IR1. Keeping this in mind, I entered the US on 23rd Dec 2019. At POE, after immigration the officer told me that I will be getting CR1 and I should come back in 2 years with my spouse for renewal. I informed the officer that I am entering after 2 years and 6 days of my marriage and thus I should be given an IR1 status instead. He was a bit surprised at first and then started looking for IV documents online. After 10-15 min of searching, he was able to locate the Marriage Certificate and told me he found it and then started entering notes for next 7-10 minutes in the system. I asked him, if he is changing from CR1 to IR1, he said he cant do that and is adding relevant notes and assured me that I will get IR1. But I had to travel back to India for some reason and due to Covid got stuck there. In the meantime, Green card came but the packet got lost by my spouse. So I applied for the lost GC (I-90) in Aug '20 upon my return to the US. I received a Green Card within 2 months (last week precisely) but I found that I was issued a CR1 Category GC instead with an expiry of Dec 2021.

 

Current Situation - 

 

I reached out to USCIS who told me that I should file I-90, write a letter stating the error and put in my original green card along with marriage certificate copy and send to USCIS office in Phoenix, Arizona. Yesterday, I sent a next day delivery to USCIS at the express delivery address with the I-90 (signed), Letter explaining the mistake, and Marriage certificate copy which was received by USCIS today morning.

 

Questions - 

 

1. Has anyone done this in the past? If yes, what was your experience? Kindly let me know all the details.

2. How much time did it take for USCIS to take a decision?

3. Did they ask for any additional documentation after receiving this packet?

4. How were you tracking this case? As this is not an online form but an offline (without fee) I-90?

5. Did you eventually get the IR1 Green Card? If yes, in how much time?

6. I need to get an extended I-551 stamp on my passport. What should I do for that?

 

Please add anything relevant you may have for me to keep in mind and act accordingly and proactively. And what should I expect in next few days/weeks/months?

 

Thanks a lot. I love this forum as these are all real-life experiences which the community shares with each other and these are extremely helpful.

 

Regards,

Karan

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Karan Mehta said:

I received a Green Card within 2 months (last week precisely) but I found that I was issued a CR1 Category GC instead with an expiry of Dec 2021.

Do you still have this recent card in your possession? If so, you don't need I-551 stamp for the next ~13 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, HRQX said:

In that case, I-551 stamps are only issued inside of the US. When do you plan to return to the US?

Hi,

 

I am in Houston, Texas. I was actually very interested to know about the process that happens when you send the documents to convert to IR1 and if someone has done that and what happens next (any real experience). 
 

For the stamp, I read somewhere later that I’ll have to call USCIS and get an appointment a month before. I am clear on that now. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Country: India
Timeline
On 10/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, Karan Mehta said:

Hi All,

 

Background - 

 

I married a US citizen on 17th Dec 2017 and my visa got approved in Oct 2019 and got a CR1 stamp on my passport. After reading online (mainly this forum), I realised that entering the USA after 2 years of marriage can be a good aid to get CR1 converted to IR1. Keeping this in mind, I entered the US on 23rd Dec 2019. At POE, after immigration the officer told me that I will be getting CR1 and I should come back in 2 years with my spouse for renewal. I informed the officer that I am entering after 2 years and 6 days of my marriage and thus I should be given an IR1 status instead. He was a bit surprised at first and then started looking for IV documents online. After 10-15 min of searching, he was able to locate the Marriage Certificate and told me he found it and then started entering notes for next 7-10 minutes in the system. I asked him, if he is changing from CR1 to IR1, he said he cant do that and is adding relevant notes and assured me that I will get IR1. But I had to travel back to India for some reason and due to Covid got stuck there. In the meantime, Green card came but the packet got lost by my spouse. So I applied for the lost GC (I-90) in Aug '20 upon my return to the US. I received a Green Card within 2 months (last week precisely) but I found that I was issued a CR1 Category GC instead with an expiry of Dec 2021.

 

Current Situation - 

 

I reached out to USCIS who told me that I should file I-90, write a letter stating the error and put in my original green card along with marriage certificate copy and send to USCIS office in Phoenix, Arizona. Yesterday, I sent a next day delivery to USCIS at the express delivery address with the I-90 (signed), Letter explaining the mistake, and Marriage certificate copy which was received by USCIS today morning.

 

Questions - 

 

1. Has anyone done this in the past? If yes, what was your experience? Kindly let me know all the details.

2. How much time did it take for USCIS to take a decision?

3. Did they ask for any additional documentation after receiving this packet?

4. How were you tracking this case? As this is not an online form but an offline (without fee) I-90?

5. Did you eventually get the IR1 Green Card? If yes, in how much time?

 

 

Please add anything relevant you may have for me to keep in mind and act accordingly and proactively. And what should I expect in next few days/weeks/months?

 

Thanks a lot. I love this forum as these are all real-life experiences which the community shares with each other and these are extremely helpful.

 

Regards,

Karan

 

Apologies for tagging again - the previous one got submitted in error. Request you to look into my concerns

 

@Darnell, @John & Rose, @Amica Nostra, @bcking, @OriZ, @jg121783, @Soloenta, @Anh map, @Novembro, @Abies, @eieio, @carmel34, @Not a Tailor, @LilyJ, @Hotter Otter, @Dianalorena @mallafri76, @LoveMyTico, @David & Zoila, @Duke & Marie, @Mr&Mrs G., @KierenHby, @JBMG, @nastra30, @Kaylara, @CanAm1980, @Tofu, @Steffy Stef, @SusnOwen, @T&S_MTL

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Country: India
Timeline
On 10/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, Karan Mehta said:

Hi All,

 

Background - 

 

I married a US citizen on 17th Dec 2017 and my visa got approved in Oct 2019 and got a CR1 stamp on my passport. After reading online (mainly this forum), I realised that entering the USA after 2 years of marriage can be a good aid to get CR1 converted to IR1. Keeping this in mind, I entered the US on 23rd Dec 2019. At POE, after immigration the officer told me that I will be getting CR1 and I should come back in 2 years with my spouse for renewal. I informed the officer that I am entering after 2 years and 6 days of my marriage and thus I should be given an IR1 status instead. He was a bit surprised at first and then started looking for IV documents online. After 10-15 min of searching, he was able to locate the Marriage Certificate and told me he found it and then started entering notes for next 7-10 minutes in the system. I asked him, if he is changing from CR1 to IR1, he said he cant do that and is adding relevant notes and assured me that I will get IR1. But I had to travel back to India for some reason and due to Covid got stuck there. In the meantime, Green card came but the packet got lost by my spouse. So I applied for the lost GC (I-90) in Aug '20 upon my return to the US. I received a Green Card within 2 months (last week precisely) but I found that I was issued a CR1 Category GC instead with an expiry of Dec 2021.

 

Current Situation - 

 

I reached out to USCIS who told me that I should file I-90, write a letter stating the error and put in my original green card along with marriage certificate copy and send to USCIS office in Phoenix, Arizona. Yesterday, I sent a next day delivery to USCIS at the express delivery address with the I-90 (signed), Letter explaining the mistake, and Marriage certificate copy which was received by USCIS today morning.

 

Questions - 

 

1. Has anyone done this in the past? If yes, what was your experience? Kindly let me know all the details.

2. How much time did it take for USCIS to take a decision?

3. Did they ask for any additional documentation after receiving this packet?

4. How were you tracking this case? As this is not an online form but an offline (without fee) I-90?

5. Did you eventually get the IR1 Green Card? If yes, in how much time?

 

Please add anything relevant you may have for me to keep in mind and act accordingly and proactively. And what should I expect in next few days/weeks/months?

 

Thanks a lot. I love this forum as these are all real-life experiences which the community shares with each other and these are extremely helpful.

 

Regards,

Karan

 

 

Hey All - Request you to look into my queries above and share your best knowledge on the subject and questions

 

@TBoneTX @Boiler @geowrian  @Teddy B @Lucky Cat @Harpa Timsah @NikLR @Naes @Greenbaum @smilesammich @Voice of Reason @Ban Hammer @Ontarkie @elmcitymaven @SAT @spookyturtle @Hank_ @Pennylane @aaron2020 @yuna628 @The Nature Boy @Jacque67 @N-o-l-a @Cyberfx1024 @Hypnos

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry, I have nothing to add - you're in a process I know nothing about . 


Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The I90 should fix it... according to their site it takes around 6mths to fix but looks to be more like 3-4mths they’re currently processing late July 2020 for GC fixing.. 

 

you should have a stamp in your passport in the mean time that can be used to prove IR1 status and ability to work 


IR1 Journey

  • Married 14 April 2018
  • I130 Package Sent 30 Sept 2018
  • NOA1 PD 5 Oct 2018 (Nebraska) 
  • NOA2 30 September 2019 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
  • Sent to NVC 10 October 2019
  • AOS/IV Package Submitted 15 November 2019 
  • NVC Review Error 11 Jan Resulted in 9 week processing delay
  • Expidite Request Declined 😢11 March 2020
  • Lockdown in NOLA with Virus 23 March 2020
  • NVC DQ 4/25 pending being sent to Sydney for Interview
  • Sydney Closed... Australia on Lockdown due to Covid 19
  • IR1 interview scheduled 10/14/2020.. I cancelled due to pending AOS in country

 

AOS Journey

  • I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Country: India
Timeline
On 10/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, Duke & Marie said:

The I90 should fix it... according to their site it takes around 6mths to fix but looks to be more like 3-4mths they’re currently processing late July 2020 for GC fixing.. 

 

you should have a stamp in your passport in the mean time that can be used to prove IR1 status and ability to work 

Hey @Duke & Marie thank you for a prompt response. I wanted to ask you on which website are you able to track this information about timelines? Like you mentioned currently the processing is July 2020, where do I see it myself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Karan Mehta said:

Hey @Duke & Marie thank you for a prompt response. I wanted to ask you on which website are you able to track this information about timelines? Like you mentioned currently the processing is July 2020, where do I see it myself?

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

 

the dates gives them plenty of room to delay and usually process per minimum or faster than advertised.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

IR1 Journey

  • Married 14 April 2018
  • I130 Package Sent 30 Sept 2018
  • NOA1 PD 5 Oct 2018 (Nebraska) 
  • NOA2 30 September 2019 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
  • Sent to NVC 10 October 2019
  • AOS/IV Package Submitted 15 November 2019 
  • NVC Review Error 11 Jan Resulted in 9 week processing delay
  • Expidite Request Declined 😢11 March 2020
  • Lockdown in NOLA with Virus 23 March 2020
  • NVC DQ 4/25 pending being sent to Sydney for Interview
  • Sydney Closed... Australia on Lockdown due to Covid 19
  • IR1 interview scheduled 10/14/2020.. I cancelled due to pending AOS in country

 

AOS Journey

  • I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Country: India
Timeline
On 10/23/2020 at 12:53 PM, Duke & Marie said:

Hey @Duke & Marie - thank you for sharing the link, I am able to see what you were referring to. I hope my situation has a similar timeline as I have filled an Offline I-90 form (without fees). And with the documentation, they have to make a call to convert the GC to IR1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You just got some great information from Duke & Marie congratulations on that.

I have read in the past it's an easy fix, this is one of the few thing that didn't happen to us.  You won't need it but good luck and please keep us informed.  😊 👍


America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...