61 posts in this topic

I will preface this with the fact that I have an appointment with an immigration attorney on Thursday but boy could I use some advice.

My wife came here on a K1 from South Africa, we got married in March of 2018 and she received her work permit/combo card thing in August of 2018.  We have since built a life around both of us working and just waiting for this green card interview.  Today I was mailed a denial telling us that on March 17th they sent us an interview date that we never showed up to.  Well.....we never got that notice....we have been here patiently waiting and even calling the customer service line asking when it is and they said just to wait etc.....and today we were denied and she is ordered deported in 33 days along with her work permit cancelled...so now we have to move from our home if this isn't resolved....it was all a mistake...we were waiting for the damn interview and they never informed us.  We also updated our address with them to ensure it was correct because we moved mid process.  I'm surprised this letter actually got to us and the address had typo's in it and fortunately our mail man got it to us or the next thing would have been an ICE agent at the door....ffs......does anyone know what happens next?  I know there is this form we can fill out saying that something is wrong with the decision but any personal experience with this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This is a fight best fought by an attorney, imo.......good luck...

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

And involve your congressman or senator’s immigration aide. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you not get an email update?  I've seen where people check their status on line at the USCIS site and that the site listed the date for Apt a week before a hard copy was delivered.  My wife and I have both emails for notification, but all I can say is I wish you the best in this!   I can't imagine the shock you must be experiencing!

9 minutes ago, junkmart said:

Some don't get accurate status updates online. All of mine still say case received, but I have the interview on Monday. The only way I knew about the interview was via mail, and even then the letter never showed in my USPS Informed Delivery. It just showed up one day out of the blue.

For something so serious, you would think there would be a more organized notification process!

Book an info pass if your local office allows it and bring evidence of the lack of notification -print screen the status updates online from your USCIS account and emails from informed delivery if you have it-.

Best of luck for you both.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
16 minutes ago, barashka said:

For something so serious, you would think there would be a more organized notification process!

Totally agree. Especially for the fees we pay.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scandi said:

No help to the OP, but to others who read this post - I always advice against moving in the middle of an immigration process if you can possibly avoid it. USCIS claim to update your address but they often never do, even when you receive a confirmation email. 

Also, even though customer service updates your address and claims to have your right address, the field office might not, and this is where your interview would happen. 

So be very, very aware of this if you absolutely have to move in the middle of a process. We see this very same issue every now and then here on VJ. Denials because of missing RFE or interview letters.

Agreed!  My 751 reminder was mailed to my old address (and forwarded to my new address), even though I updated my address online a day after we moved (9 months before the letter was sent).  Sometimes moving is unavoidable, so it would be nice if USCIS could reconcile their systems so these things don’t happen.

@greg1984 - Definitely try to resolve with a tier 2, and failing that an attorney should be helpful.  I hope this works out for you without too much of a hassle given that you did nothing wrong to be denied.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

These are things you should be prepared for ahead of time. Be settled in a job, be settled where you live, and then, only then bother dealing with immigration stuff, Moving, job changes, ect, only complicate and stress the matter.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Doesn't USPS forward any First Class mail for a year when you move?  This issue is on my mind because I'm thinking of buying a house and we're at the NVC stage waiting for an interview for my husband in Rio.  Plus change of address with USCIS and NVC can be done online, but OP's story has me worried now...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Doesn't USPS forward any First Class mail for a year when you move?  This issue is on my mind because I'm thinking of buying a house and we're at the NVC stage waiting for an interview for my husband in Rio.  Plus change of address with USCIS and NVC can be done online, but OP's story has me worried now...

Some mail is not forwardable

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.