61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Some mail is not forwardable

An AOS interview notice should be forwarded by USPS, correct?  Just like an NOA?  All regular first class mail.  What about a green card?  That is what worries me the most as it will be coming later this year for my husband and we might move before then.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you move without notifying change of address to USCIS, USCIS mail may not be forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. It may be returned to the USCIS mailing office as undeliverable. ... 

YMMV

6 hours ago, barashka said:

For something so serious, you would think there would be a more organized notification process!

Yes, I’m seeing this happen more often and recently. It makes you wonder. At least send them certified so someone has to sign for it. I moved, updated my address with uscis, saw that they updated it and they sent an RFE to my old address. Luckily, my friend still lives there and let me know. But what if she didn’t? Our 130 would have been denied for something sent to the wrong address, an error on their part since they updated the new address. And when I called them and told them, all I got was attitude as if it was my own fault. It’s really getting ridiculous at this point. Sorry had to vent about this. Poor guy...it’s really not fair! 

8 hours ago, greg1984 said:

I will preface this with the fact that I have an appointment with an immigration attorney on Thursday but boy could I use some advice.

My wife came here on a K1 from South Africa, we got married in March of 2018 and she received her work permit/combo card thing in August of 2018.  We have since built a life around both of us working and just waiting for this green card interview.  Today I was mailed a denial telling us that on March 17th they sent us an interview date that we never showed up to.  Well.....we never got that notice....we have been here patiently waiting and even calling the customer service line asking when it is and they said just to wait etc.....and today we were denied and she is ordered deported in 33 days along with her work permit cancelled...so now we have to move from our home if this isn't resolved....it was all a mistake...we were waiting for the damn interview and they never informed us.  We also updated our address with them to ensure it was correct because we moved mid process.  I'm surprised this letter actually got to us and the address had typo's in it and fortunately our mail man got it to us or the next thing would have been an ICE agent at the door....ffs......does anyone know what happens next?  I know there is this form we can fill out saying that something is wrong with the decision but any personal experience with this? 

Honestly, I’ve seen this happen already way too much. They also sent my RFE to my old address even though they uodated my case history with the address change. RFE was addresses to the correct address, the envelope had the old address. It’s makes you wonder if a robot is stuffing these envelopes. 

Hire an attorney to fight that denial due to an error on their part. It can be done. Most immigration attorneys will now do payment plans. Call Lizz Cannon, she’s in Florida. But she is one of the best fighting immigration attorneys out there. I am so sorry this has happened to you. 

2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Doesn't USPS forward any First Class mail for a year when you move?  This issue is on my mind because I'm thinking of buying a house and we're at the NVC stage waiting for an interview for my husband in Rio.  Plus change of address with USCIS and NVC can be done online, but OP's story has me worried now...

They do, while we are on the the process of ROC we changed address and all letters from USCIS were forwarded to our new home. I remember applying online And submitting a form to USCIS to notify them. And also we paid $1 to USPS for the forwarding service. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I feel your pain, it is crazy that you have to suffer for their mistake even though you did nothing wrong. SUCKS being so powerless when it's about your life. I really hope you get it resolved and they realize their mistake. Just wanted to offer some sympathy since most people on here nowadays are trying so hard to find ways to blame the OP. 

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2016-07-14

NOA Date : 2016-07-23

Bio. Appt. : 2016-08-08

Interview Date : 2016-10-25

Approval / Denial Date : 2016-10-25 APPROVED

Green card Received: 2016-11-02

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2016-07-14

Approved Date : 2016-09-19

(F) Every love story is beautiful but ours is my favourite (F)

I echo the sentiments above to contact one of your congressional representatives. There is a good chance they will be able to get this sorted out and arrange a second interview. You may also want to contact the CIS Ombudsman, as well as making an Infopass and going to inform them of the the issue. Hopefully at least one of these will pay off, but it's important that you run right at it immediately on all fronts.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

It is B.S. They are just looking to blame you for something that obviously wasn't your fault.

Right! Official govt facility can't handle an address change? Ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, greg1984 said:

For everyone saying you shouldn't move etc.  BS. We moved and the FIRST call we made was to USCIS. We confirmed our new address no less than two times with the call center. It was act of God that we got the denial.  The letters address was riddled w typos  the denial I mean. 

As a veteran of iraq and Afghanistan. Served 12 years as an officer. I'm over this. 

Seriously please calm down because this will get sorted out and your wife will be fine. Also this being a public forum some ribbing is pretty much expected. 

Where in Iraq and Afghanistan were you? I was there myself for a few years. 

Do you have call logs to show you called? We had the same thing happen to us in 2015 for not responding to an RFE. We got a denial and said they would start removal systems. We called and spoke to a tier 2 and after a lot of fighting with them they suddenly found evidence of our calls and reopened our case. 

At the end of my journey!

April 26th 2019 I became a United States Citizen!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.