Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined


About Scandi

  • Rank
    Star Member
  • Member # 234266
  • Location Los Angeles, Kalifornien, USA

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Naturalization (approved)
  • Local Office
    Los Angeles CA
  • Country

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

11,919 profile views
  1. I don't know why you were surprised her requested new name wasn't on the oath ceremony notice - your wife has not changed her name yet so there is no possible way the letter would have her requested new name either. She only changes her name once the oath ceremony is done. It's very common that you have to wait an extra few weeks (sometimes even months) to get your oath ceremony scheduled if you decide to change your name. This because a name change is done by a court judge - USCIS cannot change anybody's name. The USCIS officer can only put the name request in their system and then the name request will be granted and signed by a judge. Every city and town will have their own wait times to get a judge to look at and approve a name change. This is why some applicants wait a lot longer for their oath ceremony to be scheduled if they choose to have a name change. Absolutely nothing odd at all, and USCIS and the court handles this for you. The certificate has already been printed by the time she shows up for her oath ceremony.
  2. Were you at the N-400 interview? To me it sounds like your wife misunderstood what was said tbh. Whatever happened BEFORE the N-400 interview (AOS, ROC whatever) doesn't matter. What matters is that the officer added the name change request in the system and your wife verified and approved it. That's all. The name she requested is the name she will have on her naturalization certificate (NOT on any letters from USCIS before the ceremony, and after the ceremony there won't be anymore letters from USCIS). She will use the certificate to change her name with SSA. Reschedule the oath sounds completely ludicrous to me, as I still can't see the issue you think you have.
  3. I don't see the problem I'm afraid. She will not change name until she has had her ceremony, so every communication from USCIS before that will still have her old name. She changes name once the ceremony is done. It's normal for the interviewing officer to ask about the name change and then add the name in the system, and for the applicant to approve the name change by singing (nowadays on a tablet type screen). I did the same. I had requested a name change on my N-400 form and the officer at my interview asked me about it, had me look at the name on the screen to make sure it as spelled correctly and then I had to sign to approve it. My oath ceremony notice was in my old name, as it should be. My new name was on my naturalization certificate and the name change document, both received AFTER the ceremony of course.
  4. The visa is never approved until the status shows "issued", doesn't matter what they say at the actual interview. Once the visa is actually approved (ie ISSUED) everything should go fast, it doesn't take long for them to print the visa and get it into the passport. 5 days, like you were told, sounds normal. You just have to wait for the visa to get approved at this point.
  5. Mine was already stapled when I got it at my oath ceremony, but that time it was stapled to the name change document. And then stapled again for the passport appointment of course. Neither time was my certificate damaged though, I can't even see those tiny holes and whoever removed the staples at the passport agency did a really good job. No damages. I understand that people are nervous sending their originals, so was I, but just do it and be done with it. We've all done it, millions of us. After this process you'll probably never look at your certificate ever again. 😁 The insane part for me, since I'm from Sweden, is that I need my American naturalization certificate just to renew my SWEDISH passport. So I have to have a certificate. 🤦‍♀️
  6. We've all done it, millions of us. You send the original certificate.
  7. The 12 month rule your lawyer mentioned is to not lose your greencard/LPR status (the general rule is if you stay outside the US for a year or more your LPR status would be considered aboandoned). For the citizenship there are other rules.
  8. Congrats! There's a subforum and a thread for when you need to apply for a passport after your receive your certificate. 👍
  9. Whatever form is available on USCIS website the day you send your petition, is always the right form. You can also check on the i-751 page on uscis.gov under the tab "Edition Date". It clearly says: Edition Date 12/02/19. We will publish a new version of this form soon. In the meantime, you may continue using the 12/02/19 edition despite the expiration date. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions. Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
  10. Less than 20 pages I believe, and then the i-129f form itself. Quite minimal, but could've been even less tbh.
  11. This is clearly not about your status at all, you guys have other underlaying issues. For that reason, I don't see what good it will do to try to "prove her wrong" on this particular issue as it won't change anything anyway. Even once you get your greencard you will still have the same issues, only that the argument will shift from being illegal to something else.
  12. Once the i-751 was approved, the status first changed to "card is being produced", then it changed to "case was approved" before it changed to "card has been mailed". You just missed the first two updates. You should get an approval notice in the mail in a coupe of weeks or so, and the card of course.
  13. Most of us don't have an i-94 record after we became greencard holders, so that's not a guarantee. The i-94 is generally to keep track of temporary visitors (potential overstays etc), not for greencard holders. I haven't had an i-94 record since 2016, none of the trips after that showed up.
  14. USCIS doesn't care what's in the foreign passport, so that shouldn't be an issue. A lot of officers don't know USCIS' own rules and don't care to learn either, unfortunately. Obviously USCIS has been totally fine with her name before as she has it on her greencard etc, so that would still be fine. However, during the pandemic some field offices haven't allowed name changes since they normally have a judicial naturalization ceremony in the courthouse, and during the pandemic many court houses have been closed. So it's possible this particular gield office is oke of those. BUT that doesn't change the fact that she can absolutely have the same name on the Naturalization certificate that is already on her greencard. That's just a poorly educated officer.
  15. I never had an issue visiting on ESTA and letting CBP know I was visiting my American fiance.
  • Create New...