tanman22

K1 Why Bother

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, just a question but for everyone just filling for the k1 what would be the point? The backlog is growing longer everyday and for those that filled since May many of these people are going to be lucky to get an interview this year. Just my two cents 

Edited by tanman22

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, tanman22 said:

Hi, just a question but for everyone just filling for the k1 what would be the point? The backlog is growing longer everyday and for those that filled since May many of these people are going to be lucky to get an interview this year. Just my two cents 

That is the answer to your question.  If you are asking why a K-1 instead of a CR-1, then that is a different animal....😃

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

One size does not fit all. You never know when you file how long your case will take cr1 or k1. Not everyone is in a hellfire hurry either. Maybe I'm not married yet an won't be able to travel to my spouses country for a year or something. Who knows. I know one of the main reasons we did K1 is because I could file right away and wouldn't be going back to Thailand for at least 6 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

What else can you do? :( it's so frustrating and discouraging. The CR1 queues are also growing longer because they're not processing at the same speed as before.

Edited by tahm

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The path of gaining immigrant intent entry and stay with the K1 used to be quicker. Ours should have arrived in 8 months but everything is turned upside down in COVID environment. We took a look at the CR1 timeline and estimated it was 14 - 18 months in best conditions so we went with the K1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The path of K-1 to greencard is a lot longer, pricier and more difficult than the CR-1 to greencard path. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

K1 has many disadvantages over a CR1, except in one crucial aspect - visa restrictions.

There are certain countries where it is very difficult to get a tourist visa to the US, especially for single adults with US boyfirends/girlfriends.   For them, the K1 is a good option, especially if the marriage process in their home countries are long and/or complicated and therefore the US citizen can't realistically go over to marry in the beneficiary's country.

Also, it is always helpful for the beneficiary to have a chance to visit and live with their US citizen partner to see if things will work out.  Culture shock and language barrier can be too harsh for some couples to overcome, and it is better to find out about that before marriage. 

I know someone who brought is fiance over to his nice, large suburban home in Texas.  By US standards, it was a great house and a nice neighborhood.  His fiance found it unbearable.  She didn't drive and it was like a plush prison. No friends, couldn't walk outside and down the street to a local grocery store or cafe, or catch the metro to the city center...none of the things she was used to at home was available there.  They decided to call things off and not get married, and she returned home.

People who are from a VWP country or can get a tourist visa have the opportunity to visit the US, live with their partner and see if it will work out, before committing to marriage.  For others, the K1 visa is the only alternative.

In similar vain, I've seen cases such as same-sex couples where getting married before-hand moving might either be impossible or puts them at high risk of being socially ostracized or even persecuted, and the K-1 gave them the easiest and fastest way out.

We don't really regret filing the K-1, if we did spousal we'd probably be stuck way further back in the queue. Canada has already been well backlogged with CR/IR cases compared to other countries, you can find a number of posts complaining about the fact beforehand. With COVID, AOS/EAD/AP fee increases, and other USCIS drama flooding the year, I'd have a harder time recommending it now, and probably wouldn't pick it if I were doing this today instead of back in September. We can handle the K-1 downsides in our circumstances, even though they're being amplified, but I don't think a lot of the people who would be heading into the process of moving in with their significant other today are going to find it to be worthwhile.

Edited by JacobP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The embassy in Sweden is processing CR-1 visas right now, but not K-1s as they're not considered immediate family.  This approach is likely not only happening in Sweden, but at several other embassies too. So even during covid CR-1 is still the better and now likely faster route. So many K-1s are just sitting there waiting to schedule an interview while many CR-1s are proceeding like normal. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scandi said:

The path of K-1 to greencard is a lot longer, pricier and more difficult than the CR-1 to greencard path. 

When we made our decision for the K1 it was around the same time frame. 

K1 8-9 months arrival + 7 - 9 month AOS for green card. 

CR1 14-18 months arrival with Green Card.

We took the quickest path of arrival. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.