SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, elfuego said:

That may be true but here is the caveat:

'While lawful immigrants qualify for ACA subsidies, they'll be stuck in a catch-22 because subsidized coverage does not qualify as insurance under the proclamation,' tweeted Larry Leavitt, executive vice president for health policy at Kaiser Family Foundation, a health care policy think tank."

In other words, those using the marketplace should be very careful with their selections.

About time they closed this loophole imo

Separately, I’m kind of surprised they are not also raising the % of poverty guideline. I know I live in one of the most expensive parts of the US, but the number just seems ridiculously low to me. On the other hand, young able people (and some not so young able people) should have little problem finding work so I’m not sure why it all needs to hinge on sponsor’s current income, or rather, the specific immigrant should be a mitigating or aggravating factor in the income calculation imo. 

Just now, GraceJ21 said:

To be fair, I've been a little concerned about insurance through the process and I think I was going to probably purchase by own even though I'm a completely healthy person. I work in healthcare so I know how a person can have an appendix burst from one day to the next and require surgery. 

However, I do think this is gonna separate a lot of low income families, and it makes no sense to me considering a lot of US born citizens are uninsured themselves due to the broken healthcare system in America. Thinking that barring LEGAL immigrants is gonna somehow solve those issues, instead of actual restructuring the healthcare system is ridiculous, and won't solve any of the high costs of Healthcare in America. 

Until I see straightforward guidelines as to how this is gonna be implemented, what I see is just another attempt to make things messy and difficult for legal immigration. Quite the dirty thing to do imho

Hard to argue with this, but fixing the broke system is going to take a very long time.

1 hour ago, jojotica said:

My spouses insurance did not allow him to add me without an SSN. For those who were successful did you have to provide a passport number etc?

I had to call the benefits department and speak with them on the phone.  Then sent in the marriage certificate.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Hard to argue with this, but fixing the broke system is going to take a very long time.

True, and like others have said its ultimately going to protect the people immigrating. But I'd like to see some straightforward rules so I can prepare, not an abstract rule that could end up being grounds for denial. Hopefully they'll release more information before we have our interview. 

10 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I'm not a Trump fan, I'm all for universal healthcare. Right now, it's not available in the US... People do need some access to healthcare (unfortunately, accidents and illnesses happen). If they're not eligible to Medicaid/Medicare/etc., I feel it's reasonable to ask the sponsor to demonstrate how they'll take care of the immigrant.  I've seen multiple posters over the years delaying/avoiding treatment because they could not afford it. 

US healthcare is a big mess, but I feel that the new requirement will protect the immigrant.

Probably one of the more reasoanble comments. US healthcare is indeed a (removed) mess. There isn't adequate affordable coverage for US cititzens either, healthcare costs are insane and the majority of medical bankruptcies come from people who HAD INSURANCE.

In a sense it is protecting the immigrant from entering this big mess, yes.

However, I suspect this provision will end up being tied up my federal court ages and might never take effect.

Edited by Unlockable
Language

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

This policy's real kick-in-the-teeth for new immigrants is that they're barred by the administration from buying the same health insurance that other residents can buy.

Where does it say that?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, afrocraft said:

If I showed you, would you change your position?

I do not have a position but am intrigued as this is the first mention of such a restriction

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

Rephrased:

Give me your tired, your poor, 
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me (with health insurance),
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Times change........Needs of the country change over time......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, afrocraft said:

Ah. But this is who we are. We're the country that took in persecuted migrants from Europe.

And provided them with health cover?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.