Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About afrocraft

  • Rank
    Platinum Member
  • Member # 203327
  • Location Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Recent Profile Visitors

4,629 profile views
  1. Huh? If s/he applies under the 5-year rule, the probation would fall within the 5-year SP, and the risk of denial increases. It's difficult to say. Depends on the nature and severity of the incident, any extenuating factors that happened before the incident, and your overall conduct (not just DUI related) since the incident. Much is at the discretion of USCIS, but they apply that discretion in a structured way. Again, if you file as a spouse of a US citizen, you are required to show good moral character in the last 3 years prior to filing, not 5.
  2. Wow. Sorry for your pain. You really need to get more aggressive. Contact your Congressional reps immediately and ask for case assistance. It's not true that they just get a standard response. Mine shared the emails USCIS sent to them, and they were very helpful in getting a decision. Also initiate a complaint with the CIS Ombudsman at the same time. If citizenship is your goal and you qualify, apply for that as well. The fees are going up sharply next year anyways, and it forces USCIS to decide your I-751.
  3. If you assume USCIS will receive your application on 12/1/2019 (the filing date), your SP is 12/1/2016 to 12/1/2019 but play it safe and assume it begins, say, on 11/15/2016. Make sure, then, that you'd completed your probationary period by 11/15/2016, or delay your application.
  4. No. The new public charge rules don't apply to permanent residents.
  5. You should review the criteria for the citizenship pathway you are applying for, then think about what evidence you need to show to prove your eligibility under each criterion. You can submit them with your application or take them with you to your interview. Start by reading the guide on this website.
  6. Then count back 3 calendar years from your filing date for naturalization (add a few weeks more -- earlier -- in case you miscalculate). The SP is the time from that date to the date USCIS receives your application. You want your record to be "clean" during that period. USCIS will still consider your conviction/probation outside the SP, but they weigh less than those within the SP.
  7. As a general rule, you'd want your conviction and the entirety of your sentence/probationary period to fall outside of the "statutory period" for good moral character. The SP depends on your basis for filing for naturalization -- generally five years from your application date, or three years if you're applying on an accelerated basis (e.g., as a spouse of a US citizen).
  8. Online. Easier for you, perhaps faster, but probably not by much. Good luck.
  9. Evidence of what exactly? The certificate of naturalization you have is fine; if she has a passport, a copy of the biodata page works too. Confirming her citizenship is pretty easy for USCIS.
  10. I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your question, and hope for the best in your financial struggles. Unfortunately, I don't have better news for you. Per USCIS Policy Manual Chapter 5 Section M(2), your failure to pay the taxes you owe will likely be viewed as an "unlawful act" that prevents you from showing good moral character, and thus becoming a naturalized citizen until it is resolved. If you had an IRS-approved payment plan and can show other extenuating circumstances explaining how you got into debt with the IRS, you might have a chance.
  11. Cost recovery is the stated goal, so: N-400 fees to go from $640 to $1,170 (83% increase) "Weighted-average" fees across all applications going up 21% Effective date is unclear, but I assume Oct 1, 2020 Lay press report: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/politics/asylum-fee-uscis/index.html Press release: https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-proposes-adjust-fees-meet-operational-needs Proposed rule (technical): https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-24366.pdf?utm_source=federalregister.gov&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pi+subscription+mailing+list
  12. Same exactly thing with me lol. Online doesn't work for the I-90. Maybe call and ask a L2 officer where to send the card.
  13. Lucky you: Your actual and erroneous dates are not so far apart. You should be fine, especially since you applied based on the correct date. Mine were 5 months apart!
  14. Actually there are 3 separate 3-year rules (lol) that you must meet to quality for accelerated naturalization as a US citizen's spouse, and you must meet each one separately: 3 years as a legal permanent resident (or GC holder, as @Downloader outlined above); 3 years of continuous residence in the US (you can be a LPR but not be continuously resident); and 3 years living in a marital union with US citizen (you can be married but not be in marital union).
  15. Big mistake to apply for the I-90 online, in my view. I made the same mistake too. They usually can't process it without receiving the physical card; I say usually because mine was ultimately processed without returning the card, but only after they rejected my ROC application and a Service director intervened. You should probably first send back the card with a copy of your Receipt Notice, then make the expedite request. Don't expect them to ask for the card. Never happened with me.
  • Create New...