SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, DesiJase said:

Absolutely, I just don't know how the 30 day timeline is supposed to work with K-1's.

Technically, the K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, so it *shouldn’t* be affected by this. But I guess we’ll have to wait and see?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
5 minutes ago, DesiJase said:

Absolutely, I just don't know how the 30 day timeline is supposed to work with K-1's.

It says it would take effect in 30 days. 

If it does my guess would be proof at either the k-1 interview (hard for that one) or more likely at the AOS interview that they are covered. 

• Ontarkie changed the title to New healthcare requirements for immigrants(merged)
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Other than the 30 day timeframe, this isn't really different than what they do now. They always took medical costs / insurance coverage into consideration.

I don’t think it’s ever been explicitly enforced like this, though we have seen one or two forum comments from sponsors needing to explicitly show they can cover it. 

I agree it’s something that should be done. The people most likely to be disadvantaged by it are large families being sponsored by those who don’t make much over the poverty guidelines, and the handful of immigrants (mainly diversity visa) who generally move before they have a job and without a sponsor. 

If my understanding of this is correct, that whole mega thread about how to get cheap insurance for your parents by gaming the subsidies on ACA might need a rewrite?

Edited by SusieQQQ

9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t think it’s ever been explicitly enforced like this, though we have seen one or two forum comments from sponsors needing to explicitly show they can cover it.

Agreed that having it so explicitly defined is new. But I say it has at least been a primary consideration for at least a couple years.

3 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

one question tho, how do I purchase insurance when my SS number may not arrive until after the 30 day post date of entry? 

Having already visited a few times, seems you can’t do a right lot of anything without a SS number 🤷‍♀️ And it’s evident USCIS is notorious for exceeding expected timeframes 

An SSN is not required for insurance.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

17 minutes ago, geowrian said:

An SSN is not required for insurance.

Yup.  I added my husband to my workplace plan before his social security card arrived in the mail, and we just provided it later.

2 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

I feel that the new requirement will protect the immigrant.

Exactly.  It the petitioner can't take care of  the beneficiary's healthcare then there is risk to the immigrant.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 minute ago, fewstee said:

I'm mostly worried about the specifics as I planned on using assets to sponsor my wife. If the underlying goal is to restrict immigration it's possible they would increase the asset requirement. Otherwise I can afford the $200/month it is for a catastrophic plan.

They might ask you how you would pay for chronic illness treatments / when and how you're planning to find a non-catastrophic plan. It will be interesting to see how they will assess the different situations.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a Trump supporter and from a country with universal healthcare, I agree with this policy.

The other day, my wife and I were wondering why we haven't received our joint tax refund for this year. Our accountant contacted IRS and they explained it has been withheld due to Shared Responsibility. We both have healthcare insurance so we are sorting this out with the IRS right now. However, if taxpayers are expected to have healthcare insurance or make a shared responsibility payment , I see no reason why this should not be considered for prospective immigrants.

Reviewing his previous post, one can understand why he feels this way about the administration trying to "curb legal (immigration)".

Edited by ADW & JOP

I think many of us that are not Trump supporters feel this is reasonable, within the constraints of the system (I’m sure most of us would prefer a public healthcare system of some form). And I get really annoyed - it doesn’t happen that often but it happens - when people game the system (like those who juggle their newly enlarged households to get the ACA subsidies for parents, and I don’t care if it’s technically legal, it’s gaming the system). The public charge requirement as existing is pretty low as it is, and one bad uninsured medical event can easily top the current annual income requirement.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.