SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, vkrishn said:

Point being that on one end you term the parent as an immediate relative but they aren't provided the same benefits as a spouse or child and in that case the petitioner needs to take care of them. 

I have to agree with the others - you're conflating government classification of a visa class with insurance in a private marketplace.

If they choose to work, they can get coverage from their employer fine.

If they can get added to somebody else's plan, great. That is a private affair, though.

The point is somebody other than the taxpayers need to take care of them, unless the taxpayers vote in people to change that. The cost of medical care is very expensive, especially for the elderly.

Or maybe a single payer system will be implemented eventually, which would cover anybody. Who knows. That's for the voters to decide. But it's not there today.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If you can get your Parents added great, like I said it is unusual, but not completely unknown.

Most of the employer sponsored ones in the US don't allow to add parents but they do allow add ones spouse and child. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Best to take that up with insurance companies.  It has nothing to do with the federal government.

It does in the way parent is included as part of immigration ruling when convenient. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I have to agree with the others - you're conflating government classification of a visa class with insurance in a private marketplace.

If they can get added to somebody else's plan, great. That is a private affair, though.

The point is somebody other than the taxpayers need to take care of them, unless the taxpayers vote in people to change that. The cost of medical care is very expensive, especially for the elderly.

Or maybe a single payer system will be implemented eventually, which would cover anybody. Who knows. That's for the voters to decide. But it's not there today.

Well for obvious reasons Countries with single payer type schemes tend to be even stricter, I think Canada blocked parents for a number if years.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Disagree. Do you have a counter argument to the definition of immediate relative and why a parent would be included in the new rule? Govt absolutely know that parents can't be (in almost all cases ) be added to insurance of petitioner(aka USC son/daughter)

"If they choose to work, they can get coverage from their employer fine" : I would love this new rule to be applied to spouse of USC who is immigrating to the US. That they need to work to get health insurance and not "conveniently" added to USC spouse. This would make it fair for all immediate relatives. 

"If they can get added to somebody else's plan, great. That is a private affair, though": Yes its a convenient thing to say since spouse can be added now. If they become part of public charge and if a similar situation arises where spouse is not part  or can't be added of USC's employer insurance this rule would be shot down immediately. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The issue is showing that the issue has been addressed and sadly as we get older this becomes a bigger and bigger issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, vkrishn said:

It does in the way parent is included as part of immigration ruling when convenient. 

No, I was referring to individual insurance companies/employer-based plans.  Nothing to do with immigration.

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well for obvious reasons Countries with single payer type schemes tend to be even stricter, I think Canada blocked parents for a number if years.

Definitely possible. I don't claim to predict how it would be implemented, if it ever were to happen.

9 minutes ago, vkrishn said:

Disagree. Do you have a counter argument to the definition of immediate relative and why a parent would be included in the new rule? Govt absolutely know that parents can't be (in almost all cases ) be added to insurance of petitioner(aka USC son/daughter)

Immediate relative is a visa category. It was never intended to match insurance rules.

Edit: Should parents be IRs? Well, that's a different question, and I see a good case against that being the case.

By that logic, 22+ year olds should not be permitted as a dependent of their parents still. Non-biological (or adopted) children shouldn't be eligible either (some plans only require legal guardianship of a dependent to be included).

"If they choose to work, they can get coverage from their employer fine" : I would love this new rule to be applied to spouse of USC who is immigrating to the US. That they need to work to get health insurance and not "conveniently" added to USC spouse. This would make it fair for all immediate relatives. 

The rules are not different for immigrants as non-immigrants, though. If spouses couldn't be added to an employer plan, that would be the case for everybody. the only difference would be eligibility for certain government benefits.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

At the end of the day, somebody has to pay for a new individual to receive medical care. Who should do it is a valid question:

1) The immigrant?

2) The sponsor(s) bringing them over?

3) The taxpayers?

4) The medical provider (via reduced or eliminated rates)?

5) Somebody else?

#1 and #2 are the current system.

#3 is not supported by the voters.

#4 is not sustainable...providers will need to either charge others even more or go bankrupt.

What is the suggestion for who should pay?

Or is the complaint that parents are not required to be eligible dependents for an ACA plan? Again, that would need to be something the voters have to support. It's not an immigration topic. Obviously the consequence is either the employer pays more or the employees pay more for employer-sponsored plans, or all members in the group for a marketplace plan pay more. So that effectively is option #3 but just in an indirect way.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

• Ontarkie locked and unlocked this topic

It's one thing if you are bringing an able-bodied immigrant that will be able to work and help support their healthcare, or are wealthy enough to support them as a housewife/househusband, and quite another to bring over an elderly person that will likely not be able to/does not intend to or has very limited options for working and therefore limited options for healthcare.

Even before this rule change, how did a sponsor expect their aging parent to survive in the US without insurance?

11 hours ago, vkrishn said:

"If they can get added to somebody else's plan, great. That is a private affair, though": Yes its a convenient thing to say since spouse can be added now. If they become part of public charge and if a similar situation arises where spouse is not part  or can't be added of USC's employer insurance this rule would be shot down immediately. 

It doesn't matter if the parent can't be added to a plan of a child petitioner. The child petitioner should be responsible and have either enough funds to support their care, or purchase a plan for that parent outright, just like any other person has to do. I often say the same thing to a USC petitioner that has brought their fiance over and then don't know how they are going to get them insurance, because they don't have insurance themselves. Buying insurance outright is also an option for them. It's the responsible thing to do.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I have received my IR-1 visa recently and planning to travel in few weeks! Will my visa be effected or my entry to USA? I have a MBA degree and my spouse(petitioner) also has a bachelors degree from GeorgeMason which clearly shows we do have professional skills and experience and wont be depending on Govt for support! But I wanted to know can my entry have problems like income and all those aspects since my spouse was recently living with me and will be traveling with me back to the USA! However the Co-sponsor is working at US govt and has earning of $ 45k! M i safe at POE?

we also shouldnt forget in all this, that the elderly are a bigger drain on medical resources and spend on average 8 times more than say a child of a petitioned relative and about 4 times as much as most petitioned spouses would be. This is clearly an apples to oranges comparison when comparing elderly vs people of working age and children.

Again, younger people to an extent subsidize healthcare of the elderly and therefore build up a certain amount of "credit" for themselves when they reach old age. Someone coming new into the system hasnt been contributing, and therefore should be prepared to pay at least their fair share (which is all thats being asked correct ?)  - this isnt unfair, its unfair to expect the opposite.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread reopened as this threads topic is not the same as the other thread. Please try not to cross over I know it will be hard but try to keep the topics separate.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.