SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Maybe the “qualifying events” are also dependent on the insurance companies.  
I’m not sure but I know 

1 Birth 

2 Death 

3 Marriage 

for sure. 
Or it’s the wording of the health insurance companies on that last “qualifying event “

2 hours ago, JFH said:

I also see this impacting IR-5s quite significantly. Especially from the countries where chain migration for multiple family members is more prevalent.

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Fabulous summary.

Parents are probably the biggest category by number to be affected.

Looks like business as usual for IR-5: "Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to" "any alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to an IR-5 visa, provided that the alien or the alien’s sponsor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the alien’s healthcare will not impose a substantial burden on the United States healthcare systemhttps://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-will-financially-burden-united-states-healthcare-system/

Edited by HRQX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Maybe the “qualifying events” are also dependent on the insurance companies.  
I’m not sure but I know 

1 Birth 

2 Death 

3 Marriage 

for sure. 
Or it’s the wording of the health insurance companies on that last “qualifying event “

I think the qualifying events are mandated by law.

From what I have read, it seems the limited open enrollment period was a compromise made when the government mandated insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions. A limited enrollment period was meant to prevent people from gaming the system by getting on insurance when they needed to see a doctor then off it when they were healthy.

Spoiler

Our IR1 Journey So Far:

USCIS Stage:

• Jan 19 2019: Sent I130 package
  • Jan 22 2019: Delivered
  • Feb 3 2019: I130 NOA1 (Priority Date: Jan 22, 2019)
  • Assigned to Nebraska Service Center ( 😶)
  • Sep 16 2019: I129f NOA1 PD
  • Oct 26 2019: I130 NOA2 (Notice date: Oct 21 2019)
  • Nov 04 2019: Sent to NVC

NVC Stage:

• Nov 7: Received by NVC 
  • Dec 7: NVC sent email containing CEAC login details (Case Number)
  • Dec 7: AOS and IV bill payed
  • Dec 10: NVC withdrew money from Account
  • Dec 12: AOS and IV bills show paid on CEAC
  • Dec 16: AOS and IV documents submitted to NVC
  • Waiting

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, SaeedA said:

It probably won't be that bad if I can add by wife to my employer sponsored plan (no SS) come open enrollment period. However, I'd be in a pickle if they don't allow me to add her without a SS number.

Immigration is not a qualifying life event for adding someone to your insurance https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

I think they ought to fix that before making such changes. However, the government isn't known for making logical decisions.

Marriage is.  You should have added her whether she lives in the US or not.

They open enrollment for 60 days for that purpose.  They have to.

Timeline
Just now, Nitas_man said:

Marriage is.  You should have added her whether she lives in the US or not.

They open enrollment for 60 days for that purpose.  They have to.

There would be no point in adding her when I got married. Open enrollment is coming soon and she's still not here (That's USCIS Nebraska for you). I can add her during open enrollment. From the way things are looking, I doubt we'll be together anytime soon. However, I'll add her just a precaution (as long as they don't ask for SS).

Spoiler

Our IR1 Journey So Far:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, DesiJase said:

I wonder how the thirty days will work with K-1. We can't add them to our insurance at work until we are married, right ? 

Well. especially when sometimes K1's don't get married until the near end of their 90 day's.    Open enrollment, I don't know.  I just hit up a couple places and picked a plan for my wife.  Only used it one time so far,  they paid and we paid our co pay.  Tons of competing Ins co's out there.

Timeline

I had to make this fit but maybe this may help a few of you wanting to add someone to health coverage. 
This is for “special enrollment” and than of course you have “open enrollment” usually once or twice a year. 
bad picture but it does list out the reasons we could use if need be. 

3864D63E-4E82-4512-8CD8-6AEA2F17AC04.jpeg

37 minutes ago, SaeedA said:

It probably won't be that bad if I can add by wife to my employer sponsored plan (no SS) come open enrollment period. However, I'd be in a pickle if they don't allow me to add her without a SS number.

Immigration is not a qualifying life event for adding someone to your insurance https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

I think they ought to fix that before making such changes. However, the government isn't known for making logical decisions.

We got coverage outside open enrollment precisely being based on immigration being a qualifying life event.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

Well. especially when sometimes K1's don't get married until the near end of their 90 day's.    Open enrollment, I don't know.  I just hit up a couple places and picked a plan for my wife.  Only used it one time so far,  they paid and we paid our co pay.  Tons of competing Ins co's out there.

I'm really not an expert, but the way I understand it, K-1's are non-immigrant anyway. So I don't know that this will technically apply to them because they are coming on a K-1 Visa not an immigrant Visa. I believe that you will still have your 90 days to get married, but before they would approve AOS you have to have insurance or maybe 30 days after you apply for immigrant status you have to have insurance... K-1's can't even really set a date to get married until they get here and that would force more and more people to go city hall to get married, which in turn would make it harder for them to prove a legitimate marriage, no?

I don't know that's just my thought, that this will apply more to AOS time which should give people plenty of time to get their spouses on their insurance, you're supposed to go get your SSN after the two week wait anyway, right? 

30 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Looks like business as usual for IR-5: "Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to" "any alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to an IR-5 visa, provided that the alien or the alien’s sponsor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the alien’s healthcare will not impose a substantial burden on the United States healthcare systemhttps://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-will-financially-burden-united-states-healthcare-system/

That’s newly explicit though, and a very definite distinction to other IR categories (no such “provided that” provision about those), so I do think it is intended to have an effect. We’ve already seen some reports of IR5 sponsors having to show evidence of what health insurance will cost and how they will pay for it, I’d expect that to become more the norm, especially for retired and chronically ill parents.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

We got coverage outside open enrollment precisely being based on immigration being a qualifying life event.

That's wonderful news. Did you have to do anything special?

Spoiler

Our IR1 Journey So Far:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Waiting

1 hour ago, afrocraft said:

You know better. We just let them live their lives. But we didn't ask them for a health policy at Ellis Island.

This was before a cancer diagnosis could easily cost one million dollars to treat.  And a time when immigrants who got sick were much more likely to die.  The world has changed, and health care should be a right, not a luxury.  

Edited by Jorgedig

List of acceptable coverage is quite long and broad. Can’t see that this will affect most immigrants, other than those who would genuinely have battled to afford healthcare anyway. Travel plans are allowed to be used in the interim, see vii and I guess iii too:

b)  Approved health insurance means coverage under any of the following plans or programs:

(i)     an employer-sponsored plan, including a retiree plan, association health plan, and coverage provided by the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985;

(ii)    an unsubsidized health plan offered in the individual market within a State;

(iii)   a short-term limited duration health policy effective for a minimum of 364 days — or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States;

(iv)    a catastrophic plan;

(v)     a family member’s plan;

(vi)    a medical plan under chapter 55 of title 10, United States Code, including coverage under the TRICARE program;

(vii)   a visitor health insurance plan that provides adequate coverage for medical care for a minimum of 364 days — or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States;

(viii)  a medical plan under the Medicare program; or

(ix)    any other health plan that provides adequate coverage for medical care as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services or his designee.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-will-financially-burden-united-states-healthcare-system/

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 minutes ago, SaeedA said:

That's wonderful news. Did you have to do anything special?

No, we used a healthcare consultant to help us choose a plan and she just ticked a box as far as I recall.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Can’t see that this will affect most immigrants, other than those who would genuinely have battled to afford healthcare anyway :

Agree 100%......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.