SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, DesiJase said:

I wonder how the thirty days will work with K-1. We can't add them to our insurance at work until we are married, right ? 

My two cents -

I think this is amazing and will help USC and everyone coming over.

I have posted a few times on this. Im not a supporter of either side but worked in healthcare for 7 plus years. 
Why would this be negative? My daughter is a USC just born and most insurance companies have a 30 day open window to add someone for the following reasons 

1.  Birth 

2. Death

3. Loss of coverage 

4. Marriage 

That window closes after 30 days on almost all health plans and than you must wait for open enrollment. 

I just added my daughter with no social security and Ryan will be added too. 

A social security number is not needed until one is issued by the the US. 
It takes upwards of 5 weeks sometimes for just a newborns so this is common practice for HR already and can easily applied to anyone adjusting status as well. 

I’m not sure people understand how catastrophic it can be if someone lands in the ER in the United States with no coverage. 

I say this as I’ve seen it first hand and 

”literally” no insurance can send you and your spouse into bankruptcy very quick and that wonderful new marriage into some major conflict. 

The only issue or maybe upside is it will force us all to be married on K1 very quickly to add the spouse but we should be doing that anyway IMO.  

I read the article but did it say when this actually will be implemented and at what stage we show this information? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anybody have an idea how this will affect a K1 visa applicant? 

My Fiancee is gonna put me on her healthcare that she gets from her job. My question is how do you prove this with the Consul?

I wouldn't be covered in the Healthcare until we get married...

Edited by 0NI

K1/K2

March 16, 2020 - sent I-129f to Dallas Lockbox via USPS

March 19, 2020 - USCIS received I-129f application

March 25, 2020 - got sms text from USCIS receipt notice NOA1

March 30, 2020 - received NOA1 hard copy

November 5, 2020NOA2 from USCIS Case Status Site

November 9, 2020 - received NOA2 hard copy

December 1, 2020 - got Case Number by calling NVC

March 18, 2022 - Case IN-TRANSIT

March 22, 2022 - Case READY

7 hours ago, geowrian said:

Agreed that having it so explicitly defined is new. But I say it has at least been a primary consideration for at least a couple years.

An SSN is not required for insurance.

It depends on who the carrier is, but it is most certainly asked for. I was able to add my wife without an SSN, but had to jump through many hoops to do so. It's a catch-22 dealing with the SSN. Without a SSN you are effectively dead in the water!!!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

*** Friendly mod reminder to post constructively. This is a sensitive subject but it doesn't mean people have to resort to bickering, name calling, and antagonizing each other. You may chose to disagree but it can be done in a civil manner.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

They might ask you how you would pay for chronic illness treatments / when and how you're planning to find a non-catastrophic plan. It will be interesting to see how they will assess the different situations.

However or whatever they ask, we can be sure it won't be in the immigrants favor!!!!!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Hello,

I woke up to this news in a message from my fiancee. We are almost at the end of our K1 visa experience, my interview is in London on the 18th. We are wondering that because it is before the 3rd November, if we need to provide medical insurance details then at my interview.

I know that details are sketchy right now but what is the opinion of this community? 

Also, would anyone have any insurance brokers they could recommend? As has been already noted on this thread I'm unable to join her insurance as a spouse as I'm not to be married as soon as I land in the US. 

I have seen these websites by doing a quick google search for K1 Fiancee visa insurance and they seem alright. Does anyone here have any experience with these insurance sites? 

https://www.***removed***.com/fiance-visa-insurance-faq/

https://help.ihealthagents.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007198194-Can-you-get-Health-Insurance-with-a-K1-Visa-

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Timeline

Is this retroactive or only for soon to be lprs? Are you forced to have the insurance for the entire 3/5 years until naturalization? Are there going to be 2 classes of lprs?

We might as well increase the income threshold for applications. We might as well have universal health care. We might as well force both lprs and uscs to get health insurance.

Lprs pay taxes too. Why do they have to pay for USCs' lack of health insurance?

Edited by xyz12345

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.