Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About nativeson

  • Rank
  • Member # 247733

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    IR-1/CR-1 Visa
  • Place benefits filed at
    Nebraska Service Center
  • Country

Recent Profile Visitors

989 profile views
  1. Exactly. The H1B program is used to drive down wages. That’s its only purpose. This bill is a handout to corporations at the expense of American citizens. As anyone who’s worked in IT for any length of time can tell you the vast majority of H1B holders are not high quality employees.
  2. Yikes. Nothing to add but that’s frightening, since I’ll be in the same boat as you. Please keep us updated.
  3. @nakuke One more thing to keep in mind, a few years from now. Japanese schools basically can’t refuse to take kids so you can potentially send your kid to school in Japan for a couple months every summer. There’s a super cute little girl who shows up in my daughter’s class in June/July every year during the US summer holiday.
  4. I saw your post on r/japan. That group is mostly weebs outside Japan who don’t have any specific knowledge about Japan (with some exceptions). r/japanlife is specifically for grumpy expats inside Japan. And r/japancicrclejerk is for bitter alcoholic expats who’ve given up on life. In addition to what’s been mentioned, many cities have a Japanese supplementary school (補習授業校) so you might check into that. If you live in a larger city there might be a Japanese supermarket. There aren’t any communities dedicated to American/English-speaking spouses of Japanese as far as I know, because as you’ve noticed that’s not how it works. Honestly unless your Japanese language skills are quite advanced you should let your wife handle the JP baby registration, JP passport, etc., and let her pick things up through her own social network. Having a kid is exciting (congrats!) and the first impulse is to do everything at once but the first rule of parenthood is to relax :) You'll be fine.
  5. The US Embassy Japan website covers this. Unless you have some exceptional circumstances, reside in Korea or are in the military you can’t do DCF in Japan. I don’t see anything exceptional about OP’s situation so trying for DCF is likely to waste everyone’s time. https://jp.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/family-immigration/apply-step1/ USCIS guidance on exceptional circumstances: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2012/May/DOS-I130May1412.pdf
  6. No but I guess that's not uncommon here, particularly when the son in law takes over a family business. A man can't have been a 'maiden' so I understand your concern. Maybe add it underneath in parenthesis and then put a note about it in your cover letter? Just dug up my wife's G-325a and the 'Maiden name' section for her mother is blank...
  7. Congrats! I’ve heard a lot of good things about Fukuoka but never visited. It’s famous for its food, chill atmosphere and beautiful women ;) The humidity would kill me though. I think you’re on the right path establishing your career in the states. As @carmel34 mentions just read the instructions and send what’s listed there. - They don’t need your whole life history - just your unexpired passport should be fine. - There’s no requirement to have a third party certify the translation, you can do that yourself. - USCIS is aware that Japan doesn’t have shared bank accounts etc and it shouldn't cause any problems as long as you have other evidence of bona fide marriage. Like you I attached a bunch of photos of us with our families in both countries. - You’ll need to prove intent to reestablish US domicile. For this I used emails with US recruiters plus US bank account info. - We had to visit a local camera shop to get the photos made in the right size. Also you may want to remove the personally identifying information from your post. Best of luck.
  8. 厚生年金 (Kosei Nenkin) is paid by employers and is deducted out of your salary. There's also Kokumin Nenkin (National Pension) which is similar but has fewer benefits, can also be deducted or paid for directly. As you mention nenkin participation is mandatory even if you're jobless although people with no income can get an exemption. https://blog.gaijinpot.com/understanding-the-japan-pension-system-pt-1-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work/ As you mention, in the US none of this is relevant, but you might want to read up on the Japan<>US totalization agreement to make sure she can get whatever benefits are due from paying into nenkin. https://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/english/international/socialsecurity.html
  9. Hope it works out. I guess it's a kei car? If it was manufactured in 1988 then it should be safe -- no EPA or DOT requirements. Just don't take it on the highway 🤣
  10. @Kpone there are three things to take away from this thread: You need to file taxes regardless of whether you owe anything. The IRS has an amnesty program for expats who are behind in filing. If you need help with a tax filer PM me and I can recommend a service. They also handle FBAR/FATCA. Your US income in terms of I-864 will be zero for both yourself and your wife. If you and your wife's joint savings/assets are sufficient then you don't need a joint sponsor. If not then you'll need a sponsor. Like you my US income is zero because I filed from Japan. However I was able to use cash and investment savings in part 7 'Assets to Supplement Income' and that was sufficient to get approved. Just use the instructions provided by USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf Regarding DCF, my guess is they don't have many Japanese eager to lose their health care and deal with crime so the US embassy is not busy at the moment 🧐
  11. You might also check if your car is on the list of eligible imports. That would give it immediate DOT eligibility. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/10/24/2017-22692/list-of-nonconforming-vehicles-decided-to-be-eligible-for-importation
  12. How old is your car? If it’s 21 years old it’s exempt from EPA requirements and if it’s over 25 it’s exempt from DOT requirements. (25 years makes it an ‘antique’ 😂) This is how I plan to bring my motorcycle back. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~/importing-classic-or-antique-vehicles-%2F-cars-for-personal-use
  13. @Dennis V Here are the things she needs to think about before moving out of Japan: Residence Tax / 住民税 In Japan your residence tax is paid the following year: this year she would be paying last year's tax, next year she'll pay this year's, etc. Her tax obligation doesn't go away when she moves because she may still owe tax for last year. Usually this is handled automatically by employers but she should visit her city or ward tax office to find out what's owed (if anything) and arrange for payment. Shipping Goods When you move internationally you need a customs declaration for unaccompanied goods, to keep from paying duties. There's a separate form and also a box to check on the customs declaration when she arrives at her POE. Here's the CBP form she needs: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1467/~/instructions-for-cbp-form-3299---declaration-for-free-entry-of-unaccompanied If she only has a few things, she could probably go to Japan Post and ask about shipping some stuff via EMS, plus whatever she carries in her luggage. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/writing/ems_customs_en.html Unlike the US postal service Japan Post is always helpful and polite. If she has a lot of stuff it's probably better to use a service like Yamato, they'll handle the customs declaration for her: http://www.y-logi.com/service/kaigai/english/index.html Mobile Phone Japanese providers often have crappy inflexible agreements (looking at you Softbank) and won't cancel your plan until you've bought out the contract. That leaves a lot of people in a chicken-egg type situation where they need their phone but can't cancel the agreement. Sometimes people leave their Japanese bank accounts open with a small amount of cash in case there are any residual payments that need to be made. Or she could cancel her current one and get a temporary plan. Just something to consider. Banking Most Japanese banks require you to live in Japan to keep your account open, but you can fudge it by not telling them you're leaving. If they get any mail or documents returned as undeliverable they'll freeze the account so make sure mail gets forwarded to someone. She can also give someone a power of attorney (委任状) and let them manage the account. Unless she has a really good reason to leave it open it's probably better to close the accounts: the savings interest rate is something like 0.015% here. Moving Money If she has less than 1M yen or some low multiple of that, transferwise is probably the easiest way to go. She can also arrange a wire transfer from her own bank. For international wire transfer banks often have low fees but screw you on the exchange rate so watch out.
  14. Congrats on the twins! Taking advantage of the Japanese healthcare system for child birth is definitely the way to go. What was mentioned earlier is true but it's easier to just complete the NVC process, and then after your interview is scheduled contact the embassy and ask them to postpone. They'll put your interview on hold for up to a year and indefinitely after that as long as you reach out to them at least once a year and don't get divorced.
  • Create New...