Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, J&S12 said:

Read section 6. Apparently they're gonna come up with something for K-1's.

Sec6.  Additional Measures.  Within 30 days of the effective date of this proclamation, the Secretary of Labor and the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, shall review nonimmigrant programs and shall recommend to me other measures appropriate to stimulate the United States economy and ensure the prioritization, hiring, and employment of United States workers.

That pretty much let them do whatever they seem fit for the situation to all other types of visa, imo. By the way things are going, I don't think it's good news.

Just now, Nicolaszz said:

Should I leave before my immigrant visa expires? I don't want to prioritise a trip over my lungs If I can get my visa reissued right after it expires, but will the ban prevent me from getting my visa re-issued in case I don't go to the US before it expires?

Yes, leave now, because currently it is very difficult to travel, and you may have flights cancelled numerous times.  Also, in 30 days the EO will be reviewed, and it's possible additional restrictions will be put in place.  Additionally, most embassies are closed except for emergencies, and reissuing a visa could take months.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
1 minute ago, givionte said:

Yes, leave now, because currently it is very difficult to travel, and you may have flights cancelled numerous times.  Also, in 30 days the EO will be reviewed, and it's possible additional restrictions will be put in place.  Additionally, most embassies are closed except for emergencies, and reissuing a visa could take months.

Yeah the situation sucks. I just hope to find a flight to go to because the airport is closed here and only repatriation flights ( Which I can actually board ) are available.

2 minutes ago, Nicolaszz said:

Should I leave before my immigrant visa expires?

That would be the smartest move if it is available to you.

2 minutes ago, Nicolaszz said:

I don't want to prioritise a trip over my lungs If I can get my visa reissued right after it expires, but will the ban prevent me from getting my visa re-issued in case I don't go to the US before it expires?

While the consulate can reissue the visa due to circumstances not under your control,  they can also require lots of updated information and forms in addition to needing a new medical, visa application, fee and possible interview.  And none of that will be "fast".

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, kzielu said:

K-1s are by definition "relatives" (future but still) of USC. Seems consistent with allowance for USC spouses and children. I wonder if excluding parents is a inadvertent omission. Also allowing H-1Bs / L-1Bs to process (which is unlikely to happen anyway in today's situation) invalidates the claim that is labor market protection.

The most hurt category will be DV entrants that have not received their visas yet - they may not be able to make it before end of September, assuming this actually gets lifted after 60 days.

I think it's just designed to stop DV lottery and Chain Migration. If so, this will be extended for few more years.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [M])

Sent packet: October 21, 2019

USCIS Received package: October 22, 2019
Notification in text/email: October 30, 2019
Mail received from USCIS: November 09, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: May 06, 2020

event.png

Perhaps this has been discussed, but I wonder what the impact is for cases that are currently "processing". Since the majority of CR1/IR1/K1 cases take more than 60 days to process, will USCIS/NVC/embassies continue to process cases? A subset of these visa holders can't immediately enter under the suspension, but the visas give people a 6 mo grace period to enter, so presumably people can wait out the suspension and enter? I know a lot is up in the air at the moment, but hopefully everyone's life is not too disrupted by this.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
7 minutes ago, imsan said:

I think it's just designed to stop DV lottery and Chain Migration. If so, this will be extended for few more years.

Ummm it applies for almost every family based immigration classification even spouses of LPR. I doubt this will be extended for many years.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Shiran said:

I am well aware that under the hood K-1 and K-3s are non-immigrant visas. What is less clear to me if how EO will be interpreted. Because I do not see clarity of it being non-immigrant. Logically it should be exempt for multiple reason, being non-immgrant is one, being very similar to spousal visa is another but in practice, I can easily see it being swept with other immigrant visas as there was no specific exception for it. 

image.thumb.png.78dd531e1513641741080f85c7cc328b.png

Why does it need a specific exception?  What is the significance of the asterisk footnote that is missing ?

YMMV

Just received a reply from the Citizen Service Unit of the Embassy regarding K1 visa :

“Thank you for your inquiry. 

Per our second email, decisions on entry into the United States are made by the Department of Homeland Security (and we strongly suggest that you monitor DHS' website for information).   That being said, the text of the new proclamation notes that it does not apply to those who have already been issued immigrant visas.  Since you said that you are already in possession of your visa, our current understanding is that it appears you would be permitted to enter.”

Personally that’s enough for me to book a ticket and travel but i see a lot of same questions been asked around regarding K1, so if you have visa in hand you’re not impacted and if you worried about your case progressing then the only way you can get a definite answer is to email your embassy and wait for them to reply. Cheers!

P.S i specifically told them that i have a K1 visa and their wording in the reply states:
it does not apply to those who have already been issued immigrant visas.“
Edited by optimistic23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, optimistic23 said:

Just received a reply from the Citizen Service Unit of the Embassy regarding K1 visa :

“Thank you for your inquiry. 

Per our second email, decisions on entry into the United States are made by the Department of Homeland Security (and we strongly suggest that you monitor DHS' website for information).   That being said, the text of the new proclamation notes that it does not apply to those who have already been issued immigrant visas.  Since you said that you are already in possession of your visa, our current understanding is that it appears you would be permitted to enter.”

Personally that’s enough for me to book a ticket and travel but i see a lot of same questions been asked around regarding K1, so if you have visa in hand you’re not impacted and if you worried about your case progressing then the only way you can get a definite answer is to email your embassy and wait for them to reply. Cheers!

Doesn't answer the k1 question, but only answers the question that it doesn't affect previous issued visas

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, JourneyTogether said:

Perhaps this has been discussed, but I wonder what the impact is for cases that are currently "processing". Since the majority of CR1/IR1/K1 cases take more than 60 days to process, will USCIS/NVC/embassies continue to process cases? A subset of these visa holders can't immediately enter under the suspension, but the visas give people a 6 mo grace period to enter, so presumably people can wait out the suspension and enter? I know a lot is up in the air at the moment, but hopefully everyone's life is not too disrupted by this.

Why would cr1 and ir1 cases be affected if they are exempt?

Edited by jackanddeona

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.