Jump to content


Members, Global Mod
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


millefleur last won the day on April 8 2022

millefleur had the most liked content!


Profile Information

  • Gender

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Naturalization (approved)
  • Place benefits filed at
  • Local Office
    Chicago IL
  • Country
  • Our Story
    2016: B visa for spouse ❌
    2017: DCF - CR-1 visa ✅
    2018: I-90 for error ✅
    2019: I-751 ROC ✅
    2021: N-400 w/ name change ✅
    2019: B visa for SIL ✅
    2019: B visa for MIL ✅
    2023: B visa for SIL no. 2 ✅
    2023: B visa for MIL no. 2 ✅

millefleur's Achievements

Recent Profile Visitors

22,236 profile views
  1. WOM actually resulted in them issuing a visa? I saw in the AP forum that others who filed one were just rejected saying it wasn't enough time to complete AP.
  2. That's right, Russians are considered a "homeless nationality" by US DoS, with Warsaw being the default embassy for them. Moscow is only processing cases in matters of life or death emergencies.
  3. **Moved from Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas to CEHST**
  4. DCF in Moscow required actual residency or work visa, a tourist visa did not qualify you to file for it. I knew people who were turned away from DCF because they only had tourist visas. So I don't know what Warsaw or other embassies would require but tourist visa seems highly unlikely. He should consider contacting the embassies first and seeing if they'll even take someone "living" in Russia on a tourist visa. Since DCF is for "exceptional circumstances" if he's just choosing to stay there as an extended tourist coming in and out, it seems somewhat unlikely they would consider it. However, doesn't hurt to contact and see what they say.
  5. Moscow most likely would not take this case as an American choosing to live in Russia is not a life threatening situation, from what I gather you can leave at any time. They are not doing any immigrant visa processing right now except in "life or death scenarios" which your case doesn't fit. You can try to reach out to Warsaw or Frankfurt and see what they say. DCF is now only available via "exceptional circumstances" with short notice job offer/relocation being the common one and usually the American has to have real residency in the country abroad (for example Moscow used to require work visa or residency when they offered DCF, a tourist visa did not qualify.) It seems unlikely they would consider an American choosing to live in Russia as something exceptional but you can try. Please update us on what you hear back if you contact them.
  6. Getting a 2nd opinion (at least) is so important. My dad was misdiagnosed for almost 10 years, was put on meds for said disease (steroid type meds) and it turns out later after he got 2nd opinions at a more serious research hospital (in another town) they told him he never had this disease. Unfortunately his disease was never truly diagnosed ("idiopathic" - so they simply don't understand or know the cause) but the fact he took useless meds for almost a decade still infuriates me.
  7. **Moved from US Immigration News and Discussion to IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures**
  8. Unfortunately it is a big deal to USCIS and DoS. You're now considered "too married" for the K-1 as others have said. Your next step should be getting actually married (with a court doc or other official civil doc) and then start over with the I-130. Submit the civil/court marriage certificate as proof.
  9. It is possible to obtain a copy even if you're not in Russia. It requires some extra steps but it's not impossible. https://legalbeagle.com/5189742-copy-russian-birth-certificate.html In lieu of this, it seems something else must be provided in absence of the birth certificate otherwise you'll get an RFE and the case will be stuck: https://www.jeelani-law.com/adjustment-of-status-i-485-without-a-birth-certificate/ DoS site says ZAGS will release a new birth certificate if the old is lost or destroyed so it might be the best way to go: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/RussianFederation.html
  10. They actually looked at the letter? It's not really an "invitation letter" more just like a written statement someone in the US can provide with details about why they want this person to come. There is no formal "invitation" unlike some countries who actually provide that for tourist visas. It's just rare these days they would even ask to look at supporting docs from what we see here on VJ and what I have heard from people I know who applied. You can bring the whole kit and caboodle of paperwork to back up your case but it's at the CO's discretion to ask to look at it.
  11. Thank you, it's valuable information! In our case, I don't think we need an Apostille on the certificate since the US passport will be accepted as proof of citizenship. It's good to know for others in case they need both, they might need to get 2 different apostilles for each document.
  12. That makes sense! I made this thread because information specifically about the N-662 name change was very hard to find, so I'm hoping if others need only that one they can get help here. The only other source at all I found for the N-662 was the reddit thread, which thankfully is what altered me to the courts since USCIS would not even let me speak to a person about it. I hope others who search for this specific issue will come to VJ and see my thread.
  13. P.S. I checked the N-662 and the same name appears (Thomas Burton) under "Certification of Name Change" as a stamp where he was supposed to sign it. So everything seems to add up.
  14. I'm attaching the front cover of the Apostille so you can see what it looks like. I also thought it would have to go to some higher up federal office but apparently that's not the case, it's the local court since the judge is the one who officiated the name change. We also obtained a copy of the N-662 via the local court here, not via USCIS or any federal office. Note: We only got an Apostille on the N-662, not on the Naturalization Certificate itself. Perhaps this is why we didn't need a federal apostille?
  • Create New...