Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
4 hours ago, HRQX said:

On a closer look it's referring to Subsection 2(a)(iii) of the five proclamations (Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; Brazil; Iran; China). That link says, "parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21)" Thus it isn't talking about IR-5 since petitioners have to be 21 or older.

Those same five proclamations say the following are exempt:

New issuance is still banned per April 22 PP until the end of the year.

That’s how I’m reading it too. However, others interpret it different so I figured I come here for opinions. It does leave some room for hope hehe

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 12:20 AM, Quarknase said:

That’s how I’m reading it too. However, others interpret it different so I figured I come here for opinions. It does leave some room for hope hehe

But you can't sponsor your parents until you are 21 yrs old and above. So IR-5 is affected

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Nobody knows. There was a hearing yesterday challenging both PP's. It's now pending judgement from U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta.

@geowrian did you listen in by any chance? I dialed in from Germany but the connection was so bad, I was unable to catch anything...

14 hours ago, Quarknase said:

Nobody knows. There was a hearing yesterday challenging both PP's. It's now pending judgement from U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta.

@geowrian did you listen in by any chance? I dialed in from Germany but the connection was so bad, I was unable to catch anything...

I did not...it's been a crazy week!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, Quarknase said:

I think that hearing was mostly focused on DV2020 winners. No results yet but they think they'll hear back from the judge in under a week.

Timeline
12 hours ago, geowrian said:

I did not...it's been a crazy week!

Ahhh I’m sorry. I hope that you get to enjoy the weekend. Was hoping to hear your take on the cases.

11 hours ago, JacobP said:

I think that hearing was mostly focused on DV2020 winners. No results yet but they think they'll hear back from the judge in under a week.

Not really. The hearing was a conjunction of 5 plaintiffs for the April 22nd (family visas) and June 22nd (DV, work visas). 

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
On 8/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, Quarknase said:

What is the latest update on the Judgement by Mr. Mehta , especially with respect to Family / Immediate Relatives catagory ? Are these still banned ? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Gar9 said:

What is the latest update on the Judgement by Mr. Mehta , especially with respect to Family / Immediate Relatives catagory ? Are these still banned ? 

I haven’t read the 85 pages yet, but according to the summary yes, they’re still banned. The only win so far is for DV lottery - the DOS needs to process those visas by 09/30, and report on progress on 09/25.

6 hours ago, Quarknase said:

The only win so far is for DV lottery - the DOS needs to process those visas by 09/30, and report on progress on 09/25.

Actually, the government essentially won. The government will get the visa processing fees and USCIS Immigrant Fee, but CBP can still enforce the proclamation by denying them entry: "Plaintiffs’ requests for the court to preliminarily enjoin Defendants from implementing or enforcing Proclamations 10014 and 10052 against Plaintiffs are denied." https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.218517/gov.uscourts.dcd.218517.123.0.pdf Even if Trump loses in November, he'll still be President until January 20, 2021. So he may or may not extend the proclamations in December.

Also, the judge stated, "the court concludes that the Plaintiffs are not likely to succeed on their challenges to the Proclamations."

Timeline
24 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Actually, the government essentially won. The government will get the visa processing fees and USCIS Immigrant Fee, but CBP can still enforce the proclamation by denying them entry: "Plaintiffs’ requests for the court to preliminarily enjoin Defendants from implementing or enforcing Proclamations 10014 and 10052 against Plaintiffs are denied." https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.218517/gov.uscourts.dcd.218517.123.0.pdf Even if Trump loses in November, he'll still be President until January 20, 2021. So he may or may not extend the proclamations in December.

Also, the judge stated, "the court concludes that the Plaintiffs are not likely to succeed on their challenges to the Proclamations."

I disagree. The DV 2020 winners would “lose” their spot if visas are not issued by September 30. Meaning after the ban is lifted (whenever that may be) they would have lost the option to migrate to the US. This is a win, as in the judge requests that DOS issued visas. Once issued, they can travel after the ban ends, and/or renew the visa if it expires, in case the ban gets extended

The way I read it, it essentially just kicks the can down the road. The judge is permitting the visas to be issued as they have a firm date to be issued by or else they are gone forever. If he didn't do that, the issue would settle itself before the merits of the case are actually assessed.

But he was not willing to actually suspend the proclamations as it applies to DV holders. Actually overcoming the EO's restrictions is something for which they don't have that strong of an argument.

I think the idea is he is hoping that either the EOs are not extended and the issue fixes itself as a result, or the EOs are extended and the issue of the ability to renew the visas can be litigated separately.

It was the minimum he could do to keep the case alive to avoid the immediate harm to DV winners, but doesn't really resolve any of the underlying issues.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed for changing the content of a quote to another language. Do not edit another members content (the quote) it is also English only in the main forums.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.