Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

It only affects those not on US soil (he's trying to protect corona virus from coming to US).

Well, he's also trying to protect American jobs. Stopping the issuance of EADs and green cards would further that objective.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa actually.

yes technically it is for the 90 days, but the result is an immigrant with a green card and possible naturalization so who knows.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
8 minutes ago, B&ANZ said:

How is this going to effect those of us in waiting for NOA1 for the I-130 stage? I was just granted a specialty New Zealand visa so I can go back to my husband despite the entire country being locked down. I am livid with how the US is handling this!

Yes, I would like to know as well if background processing is meant to continue happening.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, stephanie918 said:

i'm in that boat, wondering the same thing. visa already issued in passport, just haven't stepped foot in the country

If I were you I'd book a flight ASAP if you're not otherwise banned (i.e. from China or Europe) or be prepared for a very, very long wait or cancellation of the visa.

Edited by jaysaldi

What I personally think he is “extending” the previous order he did about a month ago where he closed the borders for 30 days. The time is up so he probably needs to refresh that statement. 

Embassy’s all over the world are not open, so technically this order has been in place for over a month now. 

Let’s hope this will pass as soon as possible. 

Timeline
Just now, NinPran said:

What I personally think he is “extending” the previous order he did about a month ago where he closed the borders for 30 days. The time is up so he probably needs to refresh that statement. 

Embassy’s all over the world are not open, so technically this order has been in place for over a month now. 

Fingers crossed that is what it is. Or temporary suspension of work visas for those who are not currently on US soil/already have a visa stamp. Those are the only things that make any sense to me

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Copied from NYT:

A formal order temporarily barring the provision of new green cards and work visas could come as early as the next few days, according to several people familiar with the plan.

Under such an executive order, the Trump administration would no longer approve any applications from foreigners to live and work in the United States for an undetermined period of time, effectively shutting down the legal immigration system in the same way the president has long advocated closing the borders to illegal immigration.

It was not immediately clear what legal basis Mr. Trump would claim to justify shutting down most immigration.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 minute ago, NinPran said:

And then someone has a visa already and is asking what he/she should do if it expires? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.