cacolac323

So you're supposed to die alone? (COVID-19)

91 posts in this topic

A provocative title, but hear me out.

With the ban for citizens of many countries to visit the U.S., and the possibility (still statistically rare, but real) of getting sick/dying in the U.S. ... this means an American resident whose non-US family (in my case, parents, sister) live in one of the forbidden countries, wouldn't be able to rush to my side if I were very sick?

Wow.

Now, I'm aware that this dilemma is in fact well known to, for example, undocumented immigrants who are in the U.S. and cannot travel to see dying close relative in their home country, when they are not sure they could go back to the U.S. ... 

But so the question is, Should you become very sick in the U.S. and when your entire family lives in Europe (and is not American), what is the last-minute recourse to allow these family members to travel to the U.S. to be with you in the U.S. if you are sick? BTW, I have no spouse or children, in the U.S. or elsewhere. I have parents and a sister -- but we are all adults, so they don't meet the definition of 'immediate family members' allowed to travel to the U.S. to be with their citizen/permanent resident relative, since the citizen or permanent resident has to be 21 in order for the immediate family member to be be allowed to travel.

32 minutes ago, JFH said:

It’s no different than any other time. A non-resident or non-citizen needs a B-2 visa or a VWP privilege to visit someone here. That was never guaranteed even before Coronavirus was known. Regrettably people died without relatives able to visit them as they were unable to get a visa. We have seen such cases on this forum.

In a society such as ours, we have to consider the welfare of the entire community over the desires of the individual. 

Well that _is_ different, isn't it? I mean, you ~could~ obtain a visa / esta . There was of course a question of administrative processing that could be particularly painful if you came from this or this other country, but there was an actual pathway for an emergency trip to the U.S. 

In this case tho, there doesn't seem to be any pathway. So that's different. 

(The lack of pathway actually encourages a sick immigrant US citizen/LPR person to travel to their home country if they begin to feel sick -- so they can be reunited before they worsen. It would be selfish/criminal to do so, but in fact, if the ability to organize even emergency travel becomes one-sided, this is a possible outcome. Which hardly seems desirable.)

Edited by cacolac323
clarification

But an approved visa or ESTA approval doesn’t guarantee admission. Those people are always at the mercy of CBP. Yes, it now means that everyone is denied for 30 days but no one has the right to admission as a visitor. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, cacolac323 said:

In this case tho, there doesn't seem to be any pathway. So that's different. 

Yes, it's different in some ways........there is the issue of the visitor also being infected...and all the unintended consequences.  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

When a rule is applied in extreme conditions like this one, it is meant to protect overall people in mass scales. Of course certain individuals will suffer personally during this phase but that will not count in case of national emergency.

Even in your case what if that visitor is infected with coronavirus and infects not only others but that sick person as well, that’s even worse.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

My family lives on three continents and, since an early age, this is something I have thought a lot about.    It is impossible for me not to miss some moments, good and bad, with them.  

My philosophy has been to try to be with them as much as possible while they are alive and well.  I might not be able to make it to funerals and sick days, as those are unplanned; but I will do everything to visit as often as I can and to be there to a graduation, a birthday, or an anniversary.

Best of luck to everyone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, Lemonslice said:

My family lives on three continents and, since an early age, this is something I have thought a lot about.    It is impossible for me not to miss some moments, good and bad, with them.  

My philosophy has been to try to be with them as much as possible while they are alive and well.  I might not be able to make it to funerals and sick days, as those are unplanned; but I will do everything to visit as often as I can and to be there to a graduation, a birthday, or an anniversary.

Best of luck to everyone. 

Same here..  we live with the knowledge that each visit may be the last. With flights departing to Australia only during a narrow window of time each day .. it’s more likely I won’t be able to get there in time .. it is one of the sacrifices we face  .. and ask our extended family to also accept. Make each time together count 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's not the same... but we're lucky to live in a time where video chat is easily available. You're never really 'alone'. 

😁😁 LDR Themed Videos - https://Youtube.com/lovejonlovell 😁😁

K1 Visa

March 3, 2020Sent I-129f to Dallas Lockbox via USPS.

March 5, 2020USCIS received I-129f application.

March 10, 2020 - Received receipt text from USCIS for NOA1.

October 8, 2020 - Case Tracker notification for RFE.

October 13, 2020 - RFE received through mail - Response sent same day.

October 19, 2020 - App Message from USCIS saying RFE response received.

November 25, 2020 - Case Tracker App Message for NOA2  approval.

December 5, 2020 - Received hard copy NOA2 through mail. Signed up to NVC Email list.

December 15, 2020 - NVC receive documents.

January 8, 2021 - Call to NVC - New Case Number assigned. Filled out DS-160.

June 29, 2021 - Joined Lawsuit King vs Blinken.

August 3, 2021 - Case Status changed from at NVC to In Transit on NVC Case Tracker.

August 9, 2021 - Case Status changed from In Transit to Ready on NVC Case Tracker. Interview and Medical Booked.

August 20, 2021 - Medical Complete.

August 25, 2021 - Interview Complete - approved subject to Medical Documents.

August 25, 2021 - Case Status to Refused subject to Medical Documents.

August 26, 2021 - Case Status changed from Refused to Administrative Processing.

August 31, 2021 - Case Status changed from Administrative Processing to Issued.

September 1, 2021 - K-1 Visa in delivered to home address and in hand!

@cacolac323

What do you recommend, precisely?

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

As an immigrant myself to the USA, this was the risk I took when I came to the USA.  I had a choice: stay in my country of birth.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.