Shelldb

Detained at Customs

170 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

No, you have to collect and take luggage through customs before connecting when you land from an international flight. It couldn’t have got through customs without someone physically getting it in the baggage hall, going through customs and dropping it at the baggage point for the airline.

This is true, and I’m not sure how his luggage entered his connection flight. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shelldb said:

Yes, the CBP went through our WhatsApp chat. They said we fight too much and I don’t love him. His paperwork says, “Fake Marriage” I nag more than I should and said hateful things I didn’t mean. I love him with all my heart. Never imagined this would happen. 

30 minutes ago, Shelldb said:

I’m not sure why they asked for his phone. However, during one of our arguments I stated this was a Fake Marriage, I was being hateful. I never meant a word of it. Never imagined this would happen. I’m going to review the links you sent. Thanks for being so informative. 

So a K-1 beneficiary and an I-129F petitioner are required to be unmarried. Where I believe you erred was going on written record in a chat with a beneficiary from a high fraud country that you two are married.  I believe this  was enough for CBP to deny entry.  

On visa journey K-1 couples are constantly warned to not to refer to each other as spouses and to avoid elaborate engagement parties and religious / cultural marriage / bonding ceremonies are verboten. 

Seems like an easy call for CBP.  And that’s before we learn how the actual conversations between your fiancé and CBP went.  

Edited by Mike E

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Agree it would still be going around on the belt, so that is not right. 

It would have been taken off the belt and put at the side if not collected. 
When we were delayed in processing at sfo on our immigrant visas due to a hold up at secondary, someone from CBP went to fetch our bags and brought them to us as they’d been taken off the belt like that. And there are always uncollected bags in sections off to the side in the pre-customs baggage areas.

the luggage story is yet another thing that doesn’t sound right about this story. Did I miss it or did OP confirm she actually picked it up? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Agree it would still be going around on the belt, so that is not right. 

But then there is a lot more that sounds odd, never heard of a K1 being checked like this, why would they be going through his phone? Something unusual happened now what was that?

If he was traveling with someone  (and that does explain how his bag is apparently on the way to St Louis) then CBP has all pretext  needed to check his phone.  People I expect  K-1 visa holders to travel with:

* their fiancé(e)s

* their K-2 children 

* joint sponsors

* rarely: U.S. citizen / LPR siblings, LPR parents

Anyone else would raise suspicions 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shelldb said:

Yes, the CBP went through our WhatsApp chat. They said we fight too much and I don’t love him. His paperwork says, “Fake Marriage” I nag more than I should and said hateful things I didn’t mean. I love him with all my heart. Never imagined this would happen. 

What triggered the CBP officer to go through his phone? My husband is Nigerian and came via K1 and his phone wasn't searched. He was with them less than 5 minutes. Sorry this has happened.

Fraud/Misrep paperwork can include words to the effect that he intended to “ enter into a fake marriage “. I think they may have uncovered other “ research “ , communication on his phone . 

But even if based solely on OP’s initial worries/ suspicions and feelings that something was OFF…CBP took a stance that everything considered…something is OFF. 

Hope you slow down and do not rush to actions  because you feel guilty. Would your relationship withstand another FEW LONG YEARS of uncertainty, long distance and another $20K investment ( assuming $10k legal fees, $5k trips and $5k split between paying for psych evaluation to show hardship and sending support to Nigeria)……

Though I applaud the VJ quick responses and presentation of all possible scenarios, the baggage is not an indicator

. The first call from CBP clearly says he will be making the flight, is just finishing the interview, thus his luggage was NOT FLAGGED at that time and allowed to continue its original boarding to next leg of the journey. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When entering the United States from overseas, you must obtain your luggage and bring them through Customs and Border Protection (CBP). You will need to check them back into the airlines to make your next flight. Baggage not obtained after your international flight will not get to your final destination.

Straight from CBP site

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-992?language=en_US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Timona said:

Does he actually require a visa to travel via London? A while back I read that you don't need a visa to transit via UK provided you stay put at the airport. 

I travel a lot and since Kenya is a 20 hour flight minimum, I transit via other countries. I have never got visas for those countries. 

Understandably, there's a direct flight from NY to Nairobi via Kenya Airways. I would never board Kenya Airways. I'd rather walk if that was my last option.  🤣

I have traveled through Heathrow many times and a transit visa is not required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.