Shelldb

Detained at Customs

170 posts in this topic

My fiancé traveled on the 18th of May and currently he is being detained at the Chicago Border Protection. His visa has been canceled and they can’t fly him home because London will refuse him. I was advised to contact my Congressman, but I can’t get a hold of anyone after business hours. He is being held like a criminal and we don’t know what to do. He is still in the United States. I just want him here with me. Any suggestions would be helpful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Shelldb said:

My fiancé traveled on the 18th of May and currently he is being detained at the Chicago Border Protection. His visa has been canceled and they can’t fly him home because London will refuse him. I was advised to contact my Congressman, but I can’t get a hold of anyone after business hours. He is being held like a criminal and we don’t know what to do. He is still in the United States. I just want him here with me. Any suggestions would be helpful

Do you know why he was detained? If he's a London citizen, they can't refuse him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Was he traveling on his K-1 visa?

You can notify the nearest consulate or embassy of his country that he is being held.  

Edited by Mike E

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If London is “home” why would they refuse him? Was he illegally in the UK?

So I looked the other thread linked above. He’s from Nigeria, and there are direct flights from the US to Lagos. What does London have to do with it? Did he tell you this “London” information or did someone from CBP tell you?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If London is “home” why would they refuse him? Was he illegally in the UK?

He is Nigerian and presumably does not have a UK visa but could transit with a US one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That’s an interesting post, however, I’d be surprised if they treat boyfriend /girlfriend of someone presumably coming in on tourist status as seriously as they treat someone coming in on a visa based on a petition by a USC, that a CBP officer (apparently) has cancelled. Did that officer post anything about denying K1 visa holders entry that we can use as comparison?

2 hours ago, Shelldb said:

fiancé traveled on the 18th of May and currently he is being detained at the Chicago Border Protection. His visa has been canceled and they can’t fly him home because London will refuse him. I was advised to contact my Congressman, but I can’t get a hold of anyone after business hours. He is being held like a criminal and we don’t know what to do. He is still in the United States. I just want him here with me. Any suggestions would be helpful

Something is NOT what it seems about your fellow…and if they have cancelled his visa, then he will be sent back to Nigeria ( am assuming he will be asking you to pay for the return ticket..but even if you refuse, they will send him back) and nothing the Congressman nor an attorney can do . 

At most , if you get a chance to talk on the phone, your fiancé can tell exactly what questions he was asked, was his phone searched and if so , what did they find…looks like they found something that did not line up with his visa. 

Thank you @Mike E the speedy research/ and post straight the horse’s month . OP will have a chance to FOIA CBP encounter , and then decide IF you want to continue with…on the VERY LONG road ahead.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.