Captain Ewok

Biden's Plans for US Immigration (Big Changes)

174 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was interested in what this all means for those who were denied a visa (and now wait to hear if embassy is granting a  waiver)

Will these applications go forth now or will they require new applications ?

this year's DV lottery makes the person need a passport (did not require this in past years) / that being said,  it is hard for many to apply for a passport in these times and limits many.  i wonder if this will change in the future.

And what of the DACA people that have already had court dates?   will they be reconsidered?

any thoughts on any of all that will happen because of the changes? Politics aside / just the proceedures that may take place

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I was interested in what this all means for those who were denied a visa (and now wait to hear if embassy is granting a  waiver)

Will these applications go forth now or will they require new applications ?

this year's DV lottery makes the person need a passport (did not require this in past years) / that being said,  it is hard for many to apply for a passport in these times and limits many.  i wonder if this will change in the future.

And what of the DACA people that have already had court dates?   will they be reconsidered?

any thoughts on any of all that will happen because of the changes? Politics aside / just the procedures that may take place

We do have the 8 years he was VP to use as a guide.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

This is all theoretical, I understand, but am I reading correctly under the expanded family-based immigration that a sibling of a USC, once approved (a year-ish?) could come to the US witha tempirary visa and avoid the 15-yr+ wait (more for other countries)?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Daisy.Chain said:

This is all theoretical, I understand, but am I reading correctly under the expanded family-based immigration that a sibling of a USC, once approved (a year-ish?) could come to the US witha tempirary visa and avoid the 15-yr+ wait (more for other countries)?

Do you have a link for that?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Duke & Marie said:

There’s an awful lot of approved I-130 petitions out there without gc issuance (millions) .... that’s a massive influx of migrants with no public charge rules attached... some people have severely petitions pending gc how the heck petitioners meant to financially support them in them while waiting gc..... EAD? Lots of completion for jobs at a time when many Americans hurting 

I’m thinking the I864 will still be required- it’s the new forms that were implemented this year that won’t be required (this is my interpretation)

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Do you have a link for that?

It is in the second paragraph of the original post by Captian Ewok above. (Sorry, my phone isn't letting me copy it)

2 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

There’s an awful lot of approved I-130 petitions out there without gc issuance (millions) .... that’s a massive influx of migrants with no public charge rules attached... some people have severely petitions pending gc how the heck petitioners meant to financially support them in them while waiting gc..... EAD? Lots of completion for jobs at a time when many Americans hurting 

My thoughts exactly, though i'd like my BIL to be able to come as much as anyone. Maybe they want the immigration influx to naturalize for the votes, not caring what an unprecedented influx of that size does to the US.

But this is all pretry early.. it's easy to SAY something's going to happen.

Edited by Daisy.Chain

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This doesn't mention anything about the current immigration ban Trump put on for certain visa types till the end of this year. Such as F3 family Visa's which is adult children of US citizens. We had our interview scheduled 5 days before they shut everything down cause of the pandemic and our consulate (in Montreal Canada) hasn't been able to reschedule it until this ban is lifted. 

Again the ban ends at the end of December but do we know if Biden intends to extend it longer? (Initially the ban was only for a few months but Trump extended it till the end of the year).

We are hopeful he won't extend it and we can finally have our interview rescheduled and move next year. 

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

This doesn't mention anything about the current immigration ban Trump put on for certain visa types till the end of this year. Such as F3 family Visa's which is adult children of US citizens. We had our interview scheduled 5 days before they shut everything down cause of the pandemic and our consulate (in Montreal Canada) hasn't been able to reschedule it until this ban is lifted. 

Again the ban ends at the end of December but do we know if Biden intends to extend it longer? (Initially the ban was only for a few months but Trump extended it till the end of the year).

We are hopeful he won't extend it and we can finally have our interview rescheduled and move next year. 

We are on the same page! I am also waiting to know if the Executive order will end by December 31, 2020.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.