Captain Ewok

Biden's Plans for US Immigration (Big Changes)

174 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 11/8/2020 at 7:23 PM, JFH said:

I am curious about this too. I have seen more than one poster here who has filed petitions for upwards of a dozen family members (parents and many siblings). The siblings also have spouses and children. Will these “temporary visas” allow them to work? Without the public charge rule in place I foresee dozens of family members arriving on day one without adequate housing, lack of financial support. This will lead to people living in overcrowded conditions and place a strain on resources such as schools and medical care. 

I have four siblings, all married, and between them they have 9 minor children. That’s 17 people. Does he seriously think it’s right for the country and for the immigrants to add 17 people to a 3-bed 2-bath home, in an area of higher-than-average unemployment and without verifying that I even make enough to feed them all? 

Yeah  I think I would need to buy a small hotel.  Down to 20 sibling ( one died )  and most are married with an average of 4 kids.   I guess he could bring them here and dump them on " the system"   And then right away the spouses could petition their families and we  will have the whole village here before the next election. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I am a legal immigrant and my wife was not able to get a stimulus check ....fact that i use an ittn # at the time ....so legal or not ...that was (removed) ..... And an illegal wont be on the irs radar unless a citizen or resident married one AN currently goin through the process .... But my comments are just based on my experience not assumptions

Edited by Unlockable
language

*** A reminder to all that inappropriate language is not allowed on this forum at any time. Please abide by the rules or administrative action will occur.

Thanks for understanding,

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

On 11/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, Ryan H said:

***Several posts that were nothing but political arguments, completely off topic, or both have been removed and this thread is back open for discussion; as previously stated, the purpose of this thread is for discussion of policy positions of the next Administration not back and forth political discussions (the Current Events and Hot Social Topics forum is the place for that).  Posts that deviate from the topic of this particular thread will be removed, suspensions may also be imposed if appropriate.***

Thank you very much for this. And thank you for being thorough about removing all of them, regardless of the assumed "side" they are on. Seeing moderators being fair helps a lot.

Edited by Alenx

On 11/8/2020 at 6:03 PM, Visitor User said:

What about the wait time from 5 to 3 years on qualifying for USC?

Was this proposed?

Honestly, 5 years is fairly common throughout the world.  Many countries have longer wait times, very few have shorter wait times. 

DISCLAIMER:

NOT A LAWYER.  ADVICE IS GENERAL IN NATURE.  CONSULT AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY (OR MULTIPLE ATTORNEYS) REGARDING YOUR SPECIFIC CASE.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:10 PM, HRQX said:

Do you have SSN now? Because stimulus credit can be claimed during 2020 tax filing in early 2021.

One could also file taxes as MFS and then amend it to be MFJ after the SSN has been received.  I know someone who did this because of the ITIN issue.

DISCLAIMER:

NOT A LAWYER.  ADVICE IS GENERAL IN NATURE.  CONSULT AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY (OR MULTIPLE ATTORNEYS) REGARDING YOUR SPECIFIC CASE.

6 minutes ago, ProbeGT said:

Was this proposed?

Honestly, 5 years is fairly common throughout the world.  Many countries have longer wait times, very few have shorter wait times. 

Canada is 3 years

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Adjusted from Visa B1/B2 via Marriage to USC 

Sent Package July 26th 2016

EAD approved in (87 days)

Received EAD Combo Card (101 days)

Interview May 30th 2017 (308 days) 

Case Approved May 30th 2017 (308 days)

Greencard received June 7th 2017 (316 days)

ROC Approved in 955 Days (time affected by covid office closures)

Spoiler

Sent Package - 5/11/2019 - (0 days)

NOA Date - 5/14/2019  - (3 days) Conditional Greencard with ext expiration date 11/30/2020

Biometrics - 6/18/2019 - (38 days)

Transfer to NBC - 4/20/20 - (345 days)

Transfer back to Vermont Center - 4/21/20 (Never received that letter but USCIS agents over the phone advises this and have no explanation as to why it was transferred nor transferred back) - (346 days)

InfoPass - 11/20/20 (to get 1 year temp I-551 Stamp in Valid Passport) - (556 days)

Case Ready to be scheduled for interview - 1/4/2021 (601 days)

Interview Scheduled on 9/22/2021 for 10/20/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 9/23/21

Interview Scheduled on 9/26/2021 for 10/28/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 10/4/2021

Called to get info pass to get second i-551 stamp before it expires in November, They will call back within 2 weeks to schedule infopass - 10/6/21

Infopass scheduled for 10/26/21 and told 10/28/2021 Interview still on. Went to Interview. Told need to call USCIS for another infopass appointment. Emergency Infopass scheduled for 11/2/2021.

Infopass - I-551 Stamp - 11/2/2021

Case Approved January 28 2022 (955 days)

N-400 Application

FO: Atlanta, GA

Filed N-400 Online - 3/4/2022

Biometrics Reuse - 3/4/22 (Service Center NBC)

Interview Scheduled - 9/12/22

Interview Date - 10/19/22

Decision: Decision cannot be made at this time

Application Recommended to be approved and submitted for Quality Review - 10/26/22

Oath Ceremony will be scheduled 10/26/2022

OATH CEREMONY MAILED - 10/27/2022

Checked online Oath Ceremony is - 11/18/2022

2 minutes ago, Nipperswife said:

Canada is 3 years

Isn't it 3 out of the 5 years prior to the application?  Or can one apply immediately after 3 years of residence?

Regardless, most countries have 5 or more years, some have 10+

DISCLAIMER:

Just now, ProbeGT said:

Isn't it 3 out of the 5 years prior to the application?  Or can one apply immediately after 3 years of residence?

Regardless, most countries have 5 or more years, some have 10+

Where I’m from it’s definitely more than 5 years but In Canada where I highlighted anyone regardless of how you obtained a resident card as long as you had that card for 3 years you would be eligible to apply for citizenship

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Adjusted from Visa B1/B2 via Marriage to USC 

Sent Package July 26th 2016

EAD approved in (87 days)

Received EAD Combo Card (101 days)

Interview May 30th 2017 (308 days) 

Case Approved May 30th 2017 (308 days)

Greencard received June 7th 2017 (316 days)

ROC Approved in 955 Days (time affected by covid office closures)

Spoiler

Sent Package - 5/11/2019 - (0 days)

NOA Date - 5/14/2019  - (3 days) Conditional Greencard with ext expiration date 11/30/2020

Biometrics - 6/18/2019 - (38 days)

Transfer to NBC - 4/20/20 - (345 days)

Transfer back to Vermont Center - 4/21/20 (Never received that letter but USCIS agents over the phone advises this and have no explanation as to why it was transferred nor transferred back) - (346 days)

InfoPass - 11/20/20 (to get 1 year temp I-551 Stamp in Valid Passport) - (556 days)

Case Ready to be scheduled for interview - 1/4/2021 (601 days)

Interview Scheduled on 9/22/2021 for 10/20/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 9/23/21

Interview Scheduled on 9/26/2021 for 10/28/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 10/4/2021

Called to get info pass to get second i-551 stamp before it expires in November, They will call back within 2 weeks to schedule infopass - 10/6/21

Infopass scheduled for 10/26/21 and told 10/28/2021 Interview still on. Went to Interview. Told need to call USCIS for another infopass appointment. Emergency Infopass scheduled for 11/2/2021.

Infopass - I-551 Stamp - 11/2/2021

Case Approved January 28 2022 (955 days)

N-400 Application

FO: Atlanta, GA

Filed N-400 Online - 3/4/2022

Biometrics Reuse - 3/4/22 (Service Center NBC)

Interview Scheduled - 9/12/22

Interview Date - 10/19/22

Decision: Decision cannot be made at this time

Application Recommended to be approved and submitted for Quality Review - 10/26/22

Oath Ceremony will be scheduled 10/26/2022

OATH CEREMONY MAILED - 10/27/2022

Checked online Oath Ceremony is - 11/18/2022

5 minutes ago, Nipperswife said:

Where I’m from it’s definitely more than 5 years but In Canada where I highlighted anyone regardless of how you obtained a resident card as long as you had that card for 3 years you would be eligible to apply for citizenship

This is true, but Canada appears to have more stringent physical presence requirements (it appears to be 3 years of physical presence, which ends up being similar to the US, which requires half of the 5 years to have physical presence) 

Argentina is even quicker (2 years).  On the other end, we have countries like Switzerland (10+, depending on situation), Nepal (15), Austria (10-30, depending on the situation). 

Honestly, I doubt that they will reduce the US naturalization below 5 years. 

DISCLAIMER:

1 hour ago, ProbeGT said:

Honestly, I doubt that they will reduce the US naturalization below 5 years. 

There's also other paths like enlisting in the US Armed Forces. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-i-chapter-3 Those applicants can apply on Day 1 of bootcamp. "War on Terrorism   September 11, 2001 → Present" "An applicant who files on the basis of military service during hostilities is exempt from the general naturalization requirements of continuous residence and physical presence."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 minutes ago, HRQX said:

There's also other paths like enlisting in the US Armed Forces. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-i-chapter-3 Those applicants can apply on Day 1 of bootcamp. "War on Terrorism   September 11, 2001 → Present" "An applicant who files on the basis of military service during hostilities is exempt from the general naturalization requirements of continuous residence and physical presence."

On October 13, 2017, the DoD implemented two key policy changes to the expedited naturalization process for military service members. 

One of them -  the completion of at least 180 consecutive days of active duty service before receiving certifications of honorable service. 

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/1342317/dod-announces-policy-changes-to-lawful-permanent-residents-and-the-military-acc/

3 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

On October 13, 2017, the DoD implemented two key policy changes to the expedited naturalization process for military service members. 

One of them -  the completion of at least 180 consecutive days of active duty service before receiving certifications of honorable service. 

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/1342317/dod-announces-policy-changes-to-lawful-permanent-residents-and-the-military-acc/

That policy was illegal and was struck down by a federal judge a few months ago: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/08/26/judge-strikes-down-minimum-service-requirement-troops-applying-us-citizenship.html "U.S. District Court Judge Ellen Huvelle ruled that by law, DoD must provide service members who request the needed citizenship certification the paperwork if they have "satisfied one day of qualifying service.""

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 minutes ago, HRQX said:

good to know! Thanks ! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.