stech786

Skype Interviews during Coronavirus closing

39 posts in this topic

I HIGHLY doubt this is even close to being on their list of Top 10 priorities right now. There is so much going on with people stranded and trying to get home and so many other terrible situations. I know it sucks to be away from your significant other, but remember petitioning your this person is a privilege, not a right. Their priority is to help citizens. Plus I can't even imagine the security breaches this would entail. I don't think I would want my personal information on someone's computer in their homes.

5 hours ago, stech786 said:

Don't know for sure. VO are trained for certain services and different staff for different tasks. Visa interviews  are on demand service the embassy provide. Other services include, assisting with passport renewal or lost etc types services. I doubt if those include dozen of people daily visit . Airports are open in that country, so any US citizen can buy ticket and leave if situation get worse.  If staff is hired to do certain work and that work is put on hold or moved, that staff is given LOW (line of work) which mean being laid off. 

I'm not saying they should continue visa service during this time, just look for alternatives

Priority is always going to be to assist USCs at embassies.  IV and NIV services go to the end of the to-do list when resources are stretched during a crisis.

15 hours ago, kris&me said:

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Unfortunately, given the strain on resources that government's and economies will be facing worldwide, It's hard to see this being something USCIS would give priority to at this time.  

Not only that but the uscis doesn't issue visas so there is zero reason to expel resources

YMMV

I know it's inconvenient, and maddening to have to wait even MORE time. But people: THIS IS DIFFERENT. Get a grip. This is a pandemic. A 'like you read about in history books' type pandemic. Try to breathe, understand that even the USCIS folks have families, have lives, some are ill, and they also probably have infrastructure support problems right now, just like your own offices, your own businesses. Things are going to be weird for a while, and then, hopefully, things will crank back up. But right now, you're going to have to sit tight. Hang in there and stay well, try to stay positive. 

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

@stech786,

I don't think anything is wrong with you coming up with ideas like Skype interviews. I think that during this difficult and confusing  time you are simply trying to be proactive. On paper, it does seem like it is something that can be put on the table. But then there is the reality of it all.

In reality, it is not going to happen. The reason why... like others have mentioned, immigration cases is one of the lowest priorities of the government right now. Schools are closed, people are not working, the stock market keeps dropping, and supplies are running out. In our state, so many people are trying to get unemployment that the system crashed.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/817950024/unemployment-websites-are-crashing-across-the-country?utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

The reality of it is that immigration cases will simply be put on a back burner for now. We still don't know how bad this thing can get. Best to continue to be safe and keep yourself informed on any changes that may come.

Hang in there.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
14 hours ago, stech786 said:

I think they should grant 30 days visa to all spouses of US citizen to have interview in USA. If they deny, give them 30 days to deport.

And you actually believe they will leave once they get here if they have to?

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
19 hours ago, kris&me said:

Not an option

all your personal info has to be on the computer the CO would be using and this is private.  exposing this info to a hacker by officers using home computers would be a big issue 

plus consider the additional costs of a computer tech to install the safety measures on every home based system /  you willing to pay for this?

What if this goes on for 60 days, 160 days, 260 days, 360 days, 600 days, etc?

When does “not an option” become an option?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, stech786 said:

They can mail that in

They already have that info on computer anyways. I’m not asking to build a network setup in each VO house. All you need is laptop, which they already own

they probably use VPN at embassy & can use VPN home.

They also need to take your biometrics. Can't do that via Skype.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

25 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

In the future? Quite possible. In fact, I think this will change the way a lot of people work. I am fortunate to have a job where I can work from home. I have the entire set up to work, video conference, digitally sign documents,  and even do presentations online. My coworkers and I haven't missed much of a beat this week on closing out an assignment we were working on. We were talking about how this could be the way a lot of people work in the future.

I understand that not everyone has the same capability. But this may shed some light on some remote and virtual options for workers who did not have this option before.

My opinions are based on how I think things will be for the next 30 to 60-ish days. If this isolation and social distancing continues to several months or even over a year... then yeah, I would hope these options would be on the table to discuss.

I also work at home and feel extremely lucky. HOPEFULLY this will change the way way a lot of public and private organizations view their workforce. I know that the biggest problem my agency faced wasn't technological but that some members of middle and upper management giving up their traditional modes of control over workers.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

The webex platform and others we are using for work at being hammered hard and not very reliable.   Skype interviews will not work if we can’t manage having a meeting  with a stable connection a anymore.     

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 hours ago, stech786 said:

Not really. They can send us a document that say visa granted. That’s how I got Dubai Visa. Sent via email, printed out & went to Dubai 

That's not how it works for US immigrant visas.....even when I immigrated to Taiwan, their "consulate" required my physical passport to attach the visa.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.