igoyougoduke

MEGATHREAD- All USA Flights from EU banned for next 30 days

312 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had my IR1 interview scheduled for 3/16 in Frankfurt. Just got an email that it's cancelled. No additional info.

Online it says it's still scheduled. Interviews are available in April. Hesitant to reschedule at this point in hopes I can still get an interview before April.

58 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

(ix)    any alien whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee;

This one is an interesting one... Can anyone enlighten me what that might mean?

1 minute ago, Fenja said:

This one is an interesting one... Can anyone enlighten me what that might mean?

It's a general exception on a case by case basis.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Ok so obviously spouse of USC can go to US but I don’t understand the 14 days .

mu husband and I are currently living in France so could we fly or not ? 

Edited by Mr & Mrs T

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

It's a general exception on a case by case basis.

So, this might be a stupid question, but could this be a potential way around this travel ban? And if so, how would you get into this group?

2 minutes ago, Fenja said:

So, this might be a stupid question, but could this be a potential way around this travel ban? And if so, how would you get into this group?

Theoretically, yes. But it means having your case looked at by the secretary of HHS or the CDC director's team.

So unless you have a way to get your case to their attention and have them determine you are fine, it's not practical.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Fenja said:

I would think these cases would be very, very rare.........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 minutes ago, Fenja said:

14 + days in a non EU country/ Non ban country  that still has flights open to US. i dont expect flights lasting long. Pretty soon air travel will get shut down. IMO

Edited by Donald120383

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I live in a red zone in Europe, where everything has been locked down. 

I am scared that travel restrictions will reach an extent where wedding will be canceled, graduations missed, family reunions postponed. And no one knows for how long. 

Instead of reason, rationality, openmindedness and altruism, most people are teaching their kids to panic, be fearful, suspicious, reactionary and self-interested.

We need to temper fear with reason, panic with patience and uncertainty with education. No matter where we are from. 
Because the virus is nowhere near over. 
And I wish the governments could see this as well. 

Edited by Reyess

10 hours ago, Fr0210 said:

Since I cannot return to France or I wont be accepted back in the US for the birth,

Spouses of US citizens are exempted from the ban, how this will work out in practice however is unknown since the ban isn't in effect yet. Personally I wonder if flights will be available at all and how the airlines are involved in verifying marital status to USC.  

Either way, as it stands now, spouses of USC are exempted from the ban. 

do you think I can ask for the national visa center to make an expedite request with our case

You can always ask, I haven't heard of a case in which they expedited a case but perhaps other members here on VJ have heard of such a case. You'd ask for such thing by calling USCIS or the NVC directly (I believe they give you a direct number to call in one of the NOAs).  

Or would they let me stay in the US in order to attend the birth

No, there's no such provision available and overstaying may cause issues when you try to enter on a tourist visa/VWP the next time.

If you're hell-bent on staying in the US then you can file for AOS from within the US, if you add the NOA of your I-130 you don't have to refile that one. Keep in mind though that this brings extra costs with it and you wouldn't be able to leave the country and work for about 6 months (although getting an EAD and AP can be expedited, there are established ways of expediting these). There are some other practical downsides to adjusting from within the US (e.g. collecting necessary documents, tying up life overseas etc.) but only you can determine how practical that is.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Poseidon1212 said:

Spouses of US citizens are exempted from the ban, how this will work out in practice however is unknown since the ban isn't in effect yet. Personally I wonder if flights will be available at all and how the airlines are involved in verifying marital status to USC.  

Either way, as it stands now, spouses of USC are exempted from the ban. 

You can always ask, I haven't heard of a case in which they expedited a case but perhaps other members here on VJ have heard of such a case. You'd ask for such thing by calling USCIS or the NVC directly (I believe they give you a direct number to call in one of the NOAs).  

No, there's no such provision available and overstaying may cause issues when you try to enter on a tourist visa/VWP the next time.

If you're hell-bent on staying in the US then you can file for AOS from within the US, if you add the NOA of your I-130 you don't have to refile that one. Keep in mind though that this brings extra costs with it and you wouldn't be able to leave the country and work for about 6 months (although getting an EAD and AP can be expedited, there are established ways of expediting these). There are some other practical downsides to adjusting from within the US (e.g. collecting necessary documents, tying up life overseas etc.) but only you can determine how practical that is.

Alright sounds like I have to make a choice, I think leaving the country around mid April and returning before the birth could be possible. That if I do not catch this virus and they put me in quarantine and if the CBP lets me pass the border again. But there is not much other option anyway I believe. unless they indeed expedite my case. 

Edited by Fr0210

2 minutes ago, Fr0210 said:

Alright sounds like I have to make a choice, I think leaving the country around mid April and returning before the birth could be possible. That if I do not catch this virus and they put me in quarantine and if the CBP lets me pass the border again. But there is not much other option anyway I believe. unless they indeed expedite my case. 

How often have you traveled to the US in the last year? Did enter on a B visa or under the VWP? I'm asking because it might be a better idea to leave now instead of waiting until next month. Coming back give or take two months later vs. two weeks later could make a difference at the border.

Whatever the case, I wish you and your wife good luck and should you find yourself at the border and things are going sour, ask if you can voluntarily withdraw your application for admission. It will save you an entry ban.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Poseidon1212 said:

How often have you traveled to the US in the last year? Did enter on a B visa or under the VWP? I'm asking because it might be a better idea to leave now instead of waiting until next month. Coming back give or take two months later vs. two weeks later could make a difference at the border.

Whatever the case, I wish you and your wife good luck and should you find yourself at the border and things are going sour, ask if you can voluntarily withdraw your application for admission. It will save you an entry ban.

Thanks, will make it work ;) 

8 hours ago, Catalyst2020 said:

Hi guys

So just to be clear this is a ban on flights leaving from EU only right? Not those with EU passports

If that's the case people can still travel to the US via other continents if I am not mistaken

If you’ve been there for 14 days prior to entering the U.S.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Is there a possibility that an approved k-1 visa will be extended  due to: special circumstances --> corona virus travel ban? According to the link down below? If or example the travel ban will continue several months. 

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/special-situations

Edited by Brookeandluuk

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.