wangsit

Do we need to worry about our overseas gay marriage because Amy Coney Barett?

95 posts in this topic

So, My husband is LPR. We are marriage in New Zealand.
We have same sex marriage.
I am from Indonesia that did not support gay marriage, so our marriage in NZ is considered not accepted.

Year 2020 seems like a very hard year for us.
Because we cannot have our plan to have a trip to Thailand in November 2020,  and Trump's visa ban.
My partner is stuck in America because he has better lives in America.
While , I am stuck in New Zealand because migrant cannot come back to NZ because pandemic.

And Amy Coney Barett becomes supreme court, and I heard that same sex marriage will be erased.

Our case has reached NVC and waiting to be DQ.

We are worried what will happen to our case, if Trump win and Supreme Court revert their decision in same sex marriage?
Is our case will be nullified because of the supreme Court Decision?
At this moment I have not seen my husband for almost 1 year, and we really miss each other.

PD 9 January 2019
Approved 20 March 2020
WL by email 24 April 2020
Submit all documents 30 May 2020
First Response 6 August 2020 (Need police record for benefactor)
Second documents submit 1 September 2020

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Not true

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The Supreme Court does not just make a decision or overturn a decision already made   / it has to decide on a case bought before it 

so what case is going to be bought that needs a reversal?

The Supreme Court receives about 10,000 petitions a year. The Justices use the "Rule of Four” to decide if they will take the case. If four of the nine Justices feel the case has value, they will issue a writ of certiorari. ... The majority of the Supreme Court's cases today are heard on appeal from the lower courts.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Initially I found this amusing, but thinking about it more, scary, where do you get your information?

There is a clear push from certain elements for this, including Justice Thomas of the supreme court saying the court needs to revisit the case. (See article linked.) However, even if it were to happen (and I don’t think it would in the way he /she worries, Individual states would presumably still be able to allow gay marriage) for OP specifically no need to worry with a case already in process. 

https://www.voanews.com/usa/conservative-supreme-court-justices-slam-ruling-legalizing-same-sex-marriage

7 minutes ago, JFH said:

Probably from the same news source that claimed that Trump was going to 'ban immigration' and 'send all immigrants home', and '80 million Americans would contract Coronavirus and 3 million would die before July 4, 2020', and many more gems. 

Was that source Justice Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court? “Thomas suggested the court needs to revisit the issue because it has "created a problem that only it can fix."”, from the link above.

The problem with all the b.s. sensationalist “news” is that it obscures real news and real threats to civil rights, or at least gets otherwise reasonable people to lump it all in the same category. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 minutes ago, green_rabbit said:

There are plenty of news articles suggesting the possibility. The Advocate is a respected LGBT news site and they have published several, including:

Justices Alito and Thomas call for overturning marriage equality

kamala harris: ACB will endanger marriage equality

Among others, and other articles in other sources. Hopefully it's not a real concern and it's just an attempt to scare LGBT people into voting, but it's not a crazy fear to have and it is difficult for me to watch when straight people on this site and elsewhere completely disregard the concerns LGBT people have about our rights.

Kamal Harris would say something like that - she's fighting an election. All bets are off with regard to the scaremongering that people will resort to when there is an election at stake. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.