Jump to content

Kai G. Llewellyn

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Kai G. Llewellyn last won the day on May 14 2021

Kai G. Llewellyn had the most liked content!


About Kai G. Llewellyn

  • Rank
    Gold Member
  • Birthday 03/11/1992
  • Member # 370544
  • Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • City
  • State
  • Interests
    Vintage computing, motorcycles, photography, hiking, homelabbing and politics/law.

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    IR-1/CR-1 Visa
  • Place benefits filed at
    Texas Service Center
  • Local Office
    Seattle WA
  • Country
  • Our Story
    I'm a Canadian and British Dual-Citizen currently living in Washington as a US Permanent Resident, I had met my husband online in 2016 in an IT Professionals Telegram group, where both of us happened to be furries who enjoyed running home-based server and enterprise networking projects. We built up a close friendship over the months of 2017 where I visited him out in Washington State, and we vacationed together in Vancouver, BC while I was going through the immigration process to Canada.

    I wasn't sure if I was ready to make the big jump of getting married, but I wanted to try living out on the West Coast and see how well I would adapt hence why I came to Canada. Three years later, the hubby moved up from Wenatchee to Blaine, WA to close the gap. Back in January I proposed during a romantic dinner out in Bellingham, and a month later due to the COVID-19 pandemic becoming a concern we decided to tie the knot early with a small ceremony in Stanley Park.

    As we came out of the pits of the pandemic, I had my US Visa interview in Montreal in August 2021 and moved out to Blaine to live with my husband while continuing to work remotely for my employer up in Canada. I was sworn in as a Canadian citizen on June 21st 2022, having benefited by recent changes to the Canadian citizenship Act which permits nonresident PR's to apply and gain citizenship so long as all other requirements are met.

Recent Profile Visitors

3,133 profile views
  1. You should reach out to Mazda US, I think you are supposed to get a letter from the manufacturer's US Representative.
  2. You should have a spool through the Canada regional sub-forum, a few do. I've seen it to be 50-50. Usually they do want proof that you're emigrating, such as a copy of the visa foil before they'll issue you the letter. And why should they? Idk, customer service? But yes, you're right, there isn't much incentive. You can thank Congress for heeding to the US manufacturing lobby for giving them such control over the process.
  3. Huh? You've not heard of folks getting compliance letters and importing vehicles? Anyways, I've done it both ways. I had a VW Jetta which VW of America happily issued me a Compliance letter, ran it through the border and showed the letter and my Canadian title to CBP. They did all the paperwork and gave me a stamped CBP Form 7501 entry summary. That allowed me to register/title it in WA. Easy peasy, the folks at CBP Peace Arch were great about it. I used a Customs Broker (Registered Importer) for my motorcycle, a BMW F650 GS, which BMW Motorrad refused to issue a letter. The process was awkward, but not impossible. I have a guide for that in my signature. I paid about $700 to a RI to do the process. Worth it tbh. The biggest headache is if you cannot find any evidence that your vehicle was certified to EPA requirements (and CARB if your state requires it), as the RI only helps with DOT requirements, not EPA. If your vehicle is EPA non-compliant, it's virtually impossible to import it as ICI's (EPA version of a RI) are few and far between, only do very expensive vehicles, and cost an absolute fortune. My bike didn't have an EPA sticker, but I was able to obtain a certificate of compliance for my engine from the EPA and CARB which was enough to mark it as compliant for import purposes. One other guy did this with a 2005 BMW Montauk.
  4. Plan looks good to me. If your citz cert is not expedited it'll take 2.5 weeks to show up after the ceremony. This didn't impact me as I'm a UK citizen which allows multiple nationality. I know that isn't the case for Indian citizens, though I also understand there is a grace period where you can travel on an Indian passport for an indeterminate length. So I don't know if that impacts traveling on an endorsed IV if the passport is invalidated. I'm suspecting that it doesn't for three reasons: 1. You're an LPR, and those who have a colorable claim to LPR status at the land border -will- be granted entry as returning residents or applicants for admission regardless of documentation they posses. Although CBP would give them a little bit of grief. 2. The endorsed IV on its own is in-effect a green card, noted by the statement 'Serves as form I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year'. 3. LPRs are not required, but encouraged, to have a valid passport when entering the US. They are only 'required' to have a valid proof of status such as a a valid GC, endorsed IV, re-entry permit or ADIT stamp. 4. It is common practice for visas to be used in expired passports. I'm presuming land border travel here. Traveling by air is subject to stricter requirements, but I think an endorsed IV alone that's less than 12 months old, regardless of passport validity/voiding is enough to be boarded. When re-entering Canada. Getting back in without a Canadian passport as a citizen is pretty easy. Present whatever travel documentation you have, or none, and claim Canadian citizenship. I usually present my Green Card and NEXUS card and I get in without issue at all. I've STILL yet to get around to getting a Canadian passport (been a citizen for 3 months now lol), and I'm in no hurry to do so while the Passport Office is a mess. I cross 1/2 times a week and have had zero issues from CBSA. If you're traveling by air to Canada, you do not require an eTA or a Canadian passport. IRCC recently changed the rules where an endorsed IV/green card alone is sufficient to be boarded onto a Canada-bound flight.
  5. The opinion on the forum is that Canadian health care automatically terminates when becoming a LPR. Though I've indicated here several times in the past that I'm unconvinced that is the case, mostly in that Provinces are not privy to US immigration information. Indeed BC confirmed I'm still on MSP here, I haven't bothered cancelling it although I don't use it at all. This was mostly out of laziness, and also testing out my theory. I'm waiting to see if they will eventually send me a letter saying I'm no longer covered given my time outside of Canada. Provinces will use a variety of criteria to determine if someone is a resident of a province, such as primary home, place of employment, centre of vital interests, social and financial ties. So if you're maintaining all of that, I don't see your province deeming you a non-resident. You'll probably need to continue filing taxes as a Canadian resident, and declare residency of a province. I don't see issues continuing with Canadian health care on that basis. You can try returning to the US with your existing LPR status in the future when you are ready to move, but be prepared to answer questions to CBP regarding your intentions. You may face a NTA and potentially an immigration court case over whether your residency was abandoned. If you don't want to have your status in limbo, you may find it prudent to abandon your status officially, start again and hold the case at the NVC until you're ready to move. If you're going to be out at least two years, this may be your best option.
  6. Expedites are usually given for the USC having medical illnesses or other urgent matters, sadly not as much for foreign national beneficiary. You're free to try, but chances don't look great unfortunately.
  7. Never said they did. Just that they didn't need an ESTA for a land crossing. See my point about a 'denied ESTA indicates an ineligibility for the VWP'.
  8. Congrats! It seems the case that given enough time after a visa denial, they will approve an ESTA. Great news and happy travels!
  9. This is incorrect. VWP travelers do not need an ESTA to cross by land. Both my mum and a Swedish friend have successfully entered the US without an ESTA on the VWP. They do have to manually fill out I-94W which is a pain but doable. However, a denied ESTA indicates an ineligibility for the VWP so attempting to cross at a land border after an ESTA denial may be ill advised in case CBP decide to do an expedited removal. It's up to OP whether they want to try for an ESTA first, or just try hitting the land border without. Though OP can certainly try. They'll either be admitted, or probably asked to withdraw their application for admission, and be asked to get a B visa.
  10. It's quite rare for sure, but not unheard of. What seems to happen more often is that USCIS will issue RFE's and if the petition is approved but the Consular Officer has doubts, they can send the petition back to USCIS for revocation. If any of this happens in a USC-Canadian case I'd be surprised, there'd have to be red flags abound rather than a lack of evidence. It has sometimes been the case in the past that the petitioner could accompany the beneficiary to the visa interview, but the Montreal consulate which is the only post in Canada which issues immigrant visas, does not allow this.
  11. The rule is that you need 1095 days as a permanent resident of Canada to be eligible for citizenship. HOWEVER, each day as a temporary resident (incl. visitor status) will count as half a day towards the requirement up to a total of 365 days. To get the maximum temporary resident credit, you'd need 730 days, which would count towards 365 days for the citizenship requirement. You would then need 730 days as a permanent resident to then meet the requirement Given she lived in Canada as temporary resident for 18 months, say 545 days, then the credit she would get towards citizenship would be 272.5 days. She would then require 822.5 days physically in Canada as a permanent resident to then be eligible for citizenship. Please note they count days -physically- in Canada, not days simply holding the status. So a permanent resident who spends 7 total days outside of Canada would need to stay an extra 7 days in Canada to meet the requirement. Any part of a day physically in Canada counts as a full day. They only count the 5 years immediately prior to signing the application. Finally, I also strongly advise applying with extra days in case you make an error in the calculation. I strongly suggest using the Physical Presence Calculator, not only is it required for the application itself, but it is useful for determining eligibility. https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
  12. Fingerprints are needed to my knowledge for Canadian police certificates to be valid in the eyes of NVC. Interestingly, not needed for the UK one.
  13. I was under the impression that IRCC would only mail to addresses in Canada. That might not be the case. Regardless, it is faster to have it delivered to a Canadian address. It seems that it takes 2.5 weeks for it to show up after the Ceremony. You can certainly ask IRCC if they would mail the certificate to a US address. I didn't stay in Canada waiting for it to arrive, but I had a second home in Canada which I had the certificate sent to. I was able to re-enter Canada using my GC and NEXUS card without issue. I have still yet to apply for a Canadian passport as I'm waiting for the mess at the passport offices to clear up. I don't have the time to queue outside Service Canada for hours. xD I don't believe there is an obligation to report a new citizenship to USCIS, but I did so anyway for the sake of transparency and to basically cover my backside. I just sent them a message in myUSCIS. I did that a few days after the ceremony. As mentioned before, you must attend the Ceremony physically in Canada, even though it's online. If you attend it while in the US, you won't be properly naturalized and it may be subject to revocation.
  14. The denied SB-1 may hurt your case for sure. But I'm doubtful over it, it'd be down to the evidence presented to the IJ. But if you have a 10 year green card, you can be boarded for a flight to the US and you'll see CBP. They may pressure you to sign I-407 but refuse. They may issue you a NTA and the government will have the burden of proof to demonstrate that you abandoned your LPR status. The burden of proof for DHS is extremely high as it requires “clear, unequivocal, and convincing" evidence that you abandoned your status. I'd get on a flight to the US, refuse to sign I-407, then prepare a defense to the immigration judge that you always intended to return during your absence. A strong case should be successful but I would say this is def not DIY. Get into the US, then see a competent attorney. Good luck.
  15. CBP take the view that they'll take the 'meh' approach regarding requirements to permanently import your vehicle for the first few entries. So you'll probably get a couple of entries without hassle, but at some point they will insist that you properly import your vehicle. There has been one instance where someone was activating their visa, but while they were stamped in as a LPR, their vehicle was denied entry, so they had to come back in a UHaul. So your mileage may vary.
  • Create New...