Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About ADW & JOP

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Member # 316175
  • Location Toronto, ON, Canada

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • City
    San Diego
  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    IR-1/CR-1 Visa
  • Place benefits filed at
    Texas Service Center
  • Local Office
    Phoenix AZ
  • Country

Recent Profile Visitors

2,511 profile views
  1. I get the idea. Has I waited a couple of months to cross the border (>two years after marriage), I would not have to go through this process for ROC. So theoretically, it is possible an interview may be waived. Either way, whatever comes my way I am ready.
  2. There may be a chance - had I enter the country 8 months later and obtained my 10-year card, I nor my wife would have needed an interview.
  3. Glad to join this thread. I can’t believe it’s been almost two years already. It seems just yesterday when I crossed the Canada-US border the day before they shut it down. Window opened on December 20, but filed via UPS today. Fingers crossed.
  4. Fastest way to build your credit score is by being added as an authorized user to a spouse (presumably with a good credit score) on a credit card that has been established for a long time. Your credit score automatically ties in with your spouse’s credit score and you get the credit history. My FICO score is near 800 in less than 2 years. I also got a secured card with Capital One that was automatically reimbursed and turned into an unsecured card 6 months later with timely payments. The problem with these credit cards is that your credit limit is relatively small and credit history is too new. You can also see if you build a relationship with a bank in the US. I put my savings into HSBC, became a “premier” customer and received a credit card with a high credit line and a 30-year jumbo mortgage loan at < 3% when the rates were still above 3%.
  5. I moved from Toronto to San Diego. Taxes - Overall, I am making more money and paying less taxes than in Canada, but that's job specific/state specific Rent - Comparable. Depends on where you are moving to. Cost of food - Food is more expensive than in Toronto - whether dining out/groceries. Access to service - We have a great plan with Kaiser so access to services are faster and we have no copays - again, this would be job specific. Cost of living - In general, cost of living is more expensive in San Diego compared to Toronto. From groceries, dining out, etc., we are paying more.
  6. I forgot what I did exactly but I remember I had a similar issue, but forgot what I chose that allowed me to inquire. Tried it once, generic response. Tried a second time, similar so I filed with the ombudsman and my card was printed soon after. Took 6+ months.
  7. Here is a good read: https://connect.onefpa.org/browse/blogs/blogviewer?BlogKey=924761a0-ec91-4500-b92b-59a8abdf17d2 including summarizing the penalty from OHIP
  8. I had this issue too when I went to a DMV in San Diego. Fortunately, the DMV agent was humble enough to seek help with a senior employee who processes my driver’s license/real ID application with just the passport stamp. One added perk, the senior employee told me my license would expire when my temporary passport stamp expire, but when it came through the mail, I received a 5-year license.
  9. There should be no risk. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect.html#:~:text=Getting a COVID-19,14 days between vaccinations.
  10. I actually made the same mistake. I submitted the rip copy (taped) to the NVC but I got another one. When I explained what I did to the immigration officer, she just took my new copy. I didn’t ask whether she would have accepted the old one in it’s taped condition. Same philosophy as before, you can take the risk but I didn’t want any unnecessary delays. I was in the last batch of interviews prior to the Montreal consulate shutting down in 2020 (crossed the border the day the border closed), so I am glad I didn’t leave anything to chance. Sucks that it cost more, but now that I’ve been here for over a year, it doesn’t keep me up at night =]
  11. I can only speak from my one experience but I think it's very plausible that at some point in the history of the Montreal consulate, someone may have been asked to procure their spouse's birth certificate. My approach to the interview is that it took 15+ months to get to the interview, I was not going to leave anything to chance and have the process delayed any further. If they ask for any documents that is listed on their checklist (they will define what is applicable), I think it's fair game and if you don't have it, then they may ask you to submit it after your interview and result in further delays. At my interview, someone I talked to brought the wrong type of beneficiary birth certificate (short-form vs long-form) and his visa was not approved and he said he had to submit something later (I didn't get the whole story because I was finished and left).
  12. For whatever it’s worth, I did not need to show the petitioner’s birth certificate. You should bring it as it is listed in the documents you should bring on the website. Perhaps make a notarized copy before you send it off via mail. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html
  13. Not in California. You have to redo the whole drivers license process as if you just turned 16 - written test and road test. However, for CRA purposes (NR-73), you can show severance of residential tie by voluntarily giving it up.
  14. Not hard. I wrote about my experience getting one before. I obtained it by filing MFJ with my spouse. Essentially, you can get it if there’s a reason why you need to report something to the IRS. I don’t know how long it took, but when I was applying for licensure, I was quoted 8 months. You won’t get your SSN until at the earliest a week after you landed in the US and there are stories of unexpected delays. I decided to pursue the ITIN route as I awaited for my visa.
  15. Another thing for you to consider when you move to Florida: if you plan to work as a nurse, you should look into getting your licensure. In California, you require either an ITIN or SSN to apply. I obtained an ITIN a year prior to my move in order to get my California license prior to moving to the US, which made it a lost easier to find work as soon as I arrived.
  • Create New...