LolaOkhuofu

My husband and I separated for a year!!! What do I do

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

When filing my taxes it was difficult through turbo tax to add my husband because he doesn’t have a social I’m becoming worried they will deny us with this little proof. What about evidence of legal name changes...does that hold any weight. I am also going to visit him in November. His family and I speak a lot and he speaks with my parents as well. I have joint credit card with him as a user and he has me on his lease in Nigeria since 2017 and I’m on his bank account even when he pays his rent over there. I sent him money a few times are these good? 

you don't go thru turbo tax / file the paper work/  it pays to do it this way

He (you for him )  fills out W7 IRS form for his ITIN (individual Taxpayer ID Number) with the proof of his ID and marriage certificate (or other as IRS directs)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

you then file as married joint or filing separate /  i would file joint and take the extra credit for 2 instead of 1 but this is personal choice

only time to do this is when filing tax returns 

so, if this interview is denied for lack of proofs,   add him to 2019 taxes and get more evidence (more face time,  photos, etc)

be prepared in case you need to do it all  again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, missileman said:

That was a mistake.......You cannot legally file as single if you are married.......you could have filed "Married Filing Separately".....but you can not file electronically ....Since this is Nigeria, you might have some issues.......time to be creative....

missileman is absolutely correct. That's exactly what we did in our case: MFS. You can still use Turbo Tax and all you have to do is write NRA (Non-Resident Alien) in lieu of the SS# or ITIN #, write your spouse's name, print your files, sign them (just you) and mail them instead of filing electronically. I think you have up to 18 months to amend your 2018 taxes and file as MFS. No ITIN Needed. We were going down the ITIN route (so we can file as Married Filing Jointly), but they required the original passport, so we did MFS w/o the ITIN. Good Luck!

Edited by Karim2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
14 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

When filing my taxes it was difficult through turbo tax to add my husband because he doesn’t have a social I’m becoming worried they will deny us with this little proof. What about evidence of legal name changes...does that hold any weight. I am also going to visit him in November. His family and I speak a lot and he speaks with my parents as well. I have joint credit card with him as a user and he has me on his lease in Nigeria since 2017 and I’m on his bank account even when he pays his rent over there. I sent him money a few times are these good? 

Provide all of this documented information and any pictures he may still have on his phone, if you've deleted them from yours.

6 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

We have seen each other 3 times during our marriage and he stays for a few months at a time. I actually HAD a lot of proof before the separation but when we separated I deleted everything like pictures and messages because we were having issues that time. But yes we have reconciled and we are back together. So u guys only had those three things with no pictures?? 

We had 6 wedding photos with both of us together, I hate the camera always have... but yeah we had very little when first filing... but have gathered more since... eg lease, bank etc in case they request more..

in ref to your taxes, my husband filed head of household as I haven’t got my alien tax ID number yet, that’s something you could do or get for your husband or file married seperated.. 

you should be be careful though trying to determine evidence based on others, it’s variable based on alien country of origin... I’m in Aus, not exactly a high fraud country with a tonne of people wanting to move here... Nigeria on the other hand, I’d imagine is the reverse and would need far more evidence to prove legitimate marriages 🤷‍♀️

Like KE I said earlier tho, file what you have, don’t fabricate, and spend the next 12 months gathering more supporting evidence... if the relationship is legit, you shouldn’t have too many problems doing so.

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Head of Household requires one to be "considered unmarried" in that they did not live with a spouse for at least the last 6 months of the tax year, and had covered at least half the household costs of a non-spouse dependent (or very limited other cases).

See the 1040 instructions, page 16, for the full set of rules for HOH: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

as for filing single when married...you try filing an immigrant spouse with turbo tax and see what they say

I also used TurboTax. Opted to self-file, printed out my 1040, wrote my husband's name down under where you put your spouse, wrote NRA (non resident alien) under SSN section as per IRS instructions, and mailed it to IRS (as you can't e-file without an SSN/ITIN, but paper filing IS still an option. Not everything is required to be done online...). It was that easy. TurboTax telling you to file as single because you can't e-file is no excuse. You cannot legally file as single if you are married no matter where your spouse is. Paper filing exists, and you must file as married regardless of whether your spouse is in the US or has an SSN or not. Amend your taxes.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

6 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

U have not said anything helpful or beneficial...

A man of few words, but much wisdom!  😊

24 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Were you a volunteer-nanny, or were you receiving a salary? You might have to correct other tax years also.

Exactly. Any salary received as a nanny must be reported to the IRS as income and taxes paid on such income. This is a must to straighten out. 

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Head of Household requires one to be "considered unmarried" in that they did not live with a spouse for at least the last 6 months of the tax year, and had covered at least half the household costs of a non-spouse dependent (or very limited other cases).

See the 1040 instructions, page 16, for the full set of rules for HOH: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Agreed... it applies to us because he has custody of his kids

also in that same document it states about married people who live apart, which also applies to many of us

726BD443-0BC7-4996-BBF8-4932844416A7.jpeg

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

He had a visa before he met me...in which he traveled with...when he went to renew it when it expired it...he was renewing it as a married person...and still got denied...I am now financially stable as I have a full time job and I am well over the poverty line now...I will try my hardest to submit evidence even more if I need it.

I figured since he is married now no way they would renew. Unfortunate but we must pay for the sins of those in the past who didn't return when they were suppose to.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sister, what i can tell you is to pause the filing for now and build enough evidence and maybe file it this same time next year... Visit each other and spend enough time and gather everything, it also helps your relationship too... According to everything you said you have i think you need more evidence. US embassy in Naija can be a hard rock to crack with a weak case... 

Goodluck

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Raleigh NC
Date Filed : 2020-10-03
NOA Date : 2020-10-03
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date :  
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments : INA 328 and 329 [ Military ] 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, kemm360 said:

US embassy in Naija can be a hard rock to crack with a weak case... 

Immigrant visa interview in Nigeria are only conducted at the US Consulate in Lagos.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
21 hours ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

You don’t need a social to file taxes, you can always just get your husband an ITIN (individual taxpayer ID number) and that is how you jointly file while the other person does not have a social. You could attempt to amend your taxes but I don’t know if that could cause you problems...you might want to ask someone that files taxes. Only certain tax people can request ITINs also by the way

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.