LolaOkhuofu

My husband and I separated for a year!!! What do I do

63 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Put yourself in the shoes of the consulate officer:

1.  Married 4 years with only 3 total visits.

2.  Separated for a year.

3.  Very little evidence of time together and continued communication (which are the BEST evidence you can provide).

Does that sound like a real, bona fide marriage?    

I understand thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Okay first calm down. I am someone who knows Lagos very well and have navigated many successfully through it. Forget about tax filing changes for now. Amen all that when he gets here with SS#. You don't live together it matters not.

You may have deleted all you messages and pictures but what of his side. He has the same messages you do. What about IM's, text, Whatapp, phone logs, Facebook post. You need to go back to the beginning of the relation and gather a few conversations a month that shows the evolution of the relation.

People break up all the time. Just show your pictures, especially those with family and friends. You say he came to US also and visited. That's great. Here's a list of things to consider for evidence.

For Lagos they want to see communication, phone logs and here affidavits. You know Africa and how much family approval means EVERYTHING. Get like 2 to 4 of family and friends who have seen you together.

I also strongly suggest you use a relationship timeline.  It really pulls out key milestones since the relationship was so long. Even though That's your strongest evidence so no problem there.

1. Evidence of Communication Before and After Marriage

• Phone bills showing who called whom
  • Letters
  • Greeting cards
  • Chat logs
  • Emails / PM’s
  • Delivery receipts (of gifts you send each other)

2. Evidence of Visits / Vacations / Meeting in Person

• Boarding passes
  • Passport stamps
  • Hotel receipts with both your names
  • Vacation / honeymoon photos
  • Receipts or bank statements showing remote ATM withdrawals (to show you were pulling money from that location at such time)

3. Evidence of Co-habitation During Marriage

• Birth certificates of any children born to you together
  • Mortgage loan contract or lease contract with both partners’ names in it
  • Utility bills with both partners’ names
  • Receipts with both partners’ names in shipping/billing address
  • Pictures of you two living together

4. Evidence of Joint Ownership of Assets and Shared Financial Responsibility

• Joint bank account statements
  • Proof of joint credit card use
  • Money transfer receipts
  • Power of Attorney
  • Wills (never used this)
  • Utility bills
  • Life insurance policy showing spouse as beneficiary
  • Health insurance
  • Car insurance

5. Photographic Evidence

• Photos of you two together
  • Photos of you two with family (such as wedding, parties, kids’ graduation, etc.)
  • Photos of you two in various locations and times

6. Evidence from Others in Support of Bona Fide Marriage

• Sworn affidavits of friends and/or family
  • Letters/cards from friends and/or family

Relationship Timeline example.doc Affidavit-example.doc

Edited by dwheels76

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Okay had to read again 3 visits over 4 years. You really will need that timeline to highlight. Even mention the separation. People fuss and fight and separate and break up but you are back together. And this next visit you can update you case file when you get to the NVC stage sop they can see.

When last have you seen each other? That's the big thing. I have known many cases where by interview over 2 years went by they haven;t seen each other but they had explanation of financial hardship, sickness, family tragedy. So keep that in mind when compiling your evidence together.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline
2 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Okay had to read again 3 visits over 4 years. You really will need that timeline to highlight. Even mention the separation. People fuss and fight and separate and break up but you are back together. And this next visit you can update you case file when you get to the NVC stage sop they can see.

When last have you seen each other? That's the big thing. I have known many cases where by interview over 2 years went by they haven;t seen each other but they had explanation of financial hardship, sickness, family tragedy. So keep that in mind when compiling your evidence together.

We last saw in August 2017. His visa expired in 2018 and when he went to reapply because of the new immigration laws and etc they denied him. So he couldn’t come all of 2018. I will be traveling there this November and every holiday I get with the school system because I am a school social worker ( I now have a full time job) So I will be going there November 2019, March 2020, and all of my summer next year. I was unable to travel earlier this year due to financial hardships(only working part time) 25  hours a week as a school social worker and paying for nursing school (RN associates 2 year program) community college out of pocket. Plus the other bills I have car..insurance..up keep etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

New immigration laws?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On VJ we try not to judge.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

On VJ we try not to judge.

Based on your comments you are judging 

1. This is Lagos 

2. Immigration laws

if you have nothing beneficial or helpful please don’t comment..simple..thanks 

*** Friendly reminder it is against the site's TOS to tell other members not to post or comment.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

58 minutes ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

Based on your comments you are judging 

1. This is Lagos 

2. Immigration laws

if you have nothing beneficial or helpful please don’t comment..simple..thanks 

The ignore function on the site works for me when some posters get on my nerves. Good luck!

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

3 hours ago, missileman said:

Put yourself in the shoes of the consulate officer:

1.  Married 4 years with only 3 total visits.

2.  Separated for a year.

3.  Very little evidence of time together and continued communication (which are the BEST evidence you can provide).

Does that sound like a real, bona fide marriage?    

4. Petitioner filed their taxes as "single" despite being married, probably more than once if they've been married for 4 years. 

IMO the OP is gonna be in for a fun time.  I obviously have no personal experience with Lagos but reading through many many threads here, seems like the best course of action is going to be for her to pack her bags ready to go live in Nigeria for a while to prove a bonafide relationship to one of the toughest consulates in the world. 

All that said, as someone else has suggested  - check in with the hubby and see if HE still has copies of messages/emails/photos, etc. That said, most of that is what I (and many) consider "secondary" evidence - it's really not that tough to fake a conversation or photos - it's harder to fake everyday stuff like sharing a home, sharing financial resources and such, which is why there's so much focus on financial co-mingling and shared abode. My husband and I aren't "chatty" on SMS or anything like that - mostly it's "what time will you finish work" and "can you collect milk" - not exactly riveting or a decent insight into our relationship - but you look at our bank accounts, and you see both of us depositing our pay into it, our mortgage payment coming out every month, car payments, insurance payments etc - look in our safe and you'll see wills with each of us naming the other as sole beneficiary, paperwork to show each other as the beneficiary of retirement funds, shared insurance cards and things like that.     Some of it is easy to get done without an SSN and some isn't - OP contact your financial institutions and be creative if you need to - go in and speak to people face to face if you need to so they can't just fob you off over the phone. 

I'd also recommend having something pre-prepared with information about the reason for your breakup and how things were mended - especially if you weren't communicating at all during that time, better to be pre-prepared to answer the "what happened for this year?" question than to be scrambling to explain things when asked. 

All of this said - others have said it, and I agree -  Lagos is one of, if not THE most - tough consulates in the world.  MANY couples with PLENTY of evidence are denied.  Be prepared for having to visit more often, answer lots of questions and possibly even move there for 6-12 months to be able to prove the bonafide nature of your relationship. 

Edited by dentsflogged

Timeline
1 hour ago, LolaOkhuofu said:

We last saw in August 2017. His visa expired in 2018 and when he went to reapply because of the new immigration laws and etc they denied him. So he couldn’t come all of 2018. I will be traveling there this November and every holiday I get with the school system because I am a school social worker ( I now have a full time job) So I will be going there November 2019, March 2020, and all of my summer next year. I was unable to travel earlier this year due to financial hardships(only working part time) 25  hours a week as a school social worker and paying for nursing school (RN associates 2 year program) community college out of pocket. Plus the other bills I have car..insurance..up keep etc.

The new rules for Lagos and renewing Visas isn't a new immigration law, but still it's getting many denied. You have to realize he has an American wife in US. So his ties are no longer to Nigeria. Were you married when he applied for the first one?

At least by the time of interview you will have two visits so that great. Also please be sure you meet the income guidelines. Lagos really looks at your current and your most recent taxes. So by the time you get to NVC to submit your financials 2019 taxes and your current income will need to meet the income guidelines or you will need a joint sponsor that meets the guidelines.

Also know Lagos is no joke whether we like it or not it's high fraud and known for it so extra scrutiny means extra eyes and work on your petition package.

Edited by dwheels76

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

New immigration laws?

https://qz.com/africa/1618935/us-cancels-dropbox-visa-interview-waiver-in-nigeria/

Nigeria accounted for over 25% of non-immigrant visas issued to Africans in 2018 alone—but that may be set to change.

The United States embassy has announced an immediate indefinite suspension of interview waivers for visa renewals for applicants in Nigeria. Known as “drop-box,” the interview waiver process allowed Nigerian applicants who met certain eligibility criteria to renew their visas by submitting their passports and supporting documents for review without going through a new in-person interview each time.

The process mainly targeted regular visitors to the US who have a history of applying for and receiving visas. One of the requirements for the interview waiver was for an applicant to have previously received a two-year visa.

ROC I-751

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.