Sarah G

Impact on relationship

28 posts in this topic

For those who are going through fiancé or spousal visa processes, how has this affected your relationship? 

We have only just submitted the I-130 and already I know the stress is having an impact on us both. I find myself unable to talk to him about almost anything other than immigration related things, and I know it frustrates him hugely. His approach is to not talk about anything much at all, and stay home alone and drink all evening, every evening. Neither of us is dealing with it in a healthy way and it's really tough. 

I only left the US from my last visit nine days ago and already it feels like I haven't seen him in months. 

We tell ourselves this is a temporary situation, that every day that passes is a day closer to me getting the visa, but it really isn't that comforting. 

How on earth do you all cope? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Sarah,

this has been and still tough, we are at the end of this long journey, waiting for interview, my husband and i meet every 3months but this doesn"t compensate the need to be together at all. we talk almost about immigration, our career plan are Stand by-ed, the desire to have kids is stand by-ed also...everything is conditioned by Immigiration, which makes me crazy, my husband handle this better than me, for me i gained weight (8kilos)  daily anxiety and sad most of the time, i still can't accept the idea that your future is in another's person hand 😕 i don't understand questions that would be asked  from CO and not prepared at all to a negative outcome. 

at work i can't apply for new positions because i can leave at any time and by the time i have to leave, 2 months notice 😵  

my husband told me yesterday : our cup is all filed and we will be together no matter, i will never give up on us 

we have to find the words to comfort us and our love, we have to stay strong, lot of people are in the same boat like thousands people are waiting. 

God Bless 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to General Immigration Discussion -- topic applies to various visa processes.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry to hear you guys are having troubles. Immigration is hard...it's even more complicated if your spouse is from a non "friendly" country to the US, often involves even more paperwork in the relationship (visitor visa for the USC, etc.). It's a problem that my other friends who've never dealt with immigration paperwork can't relate to at all. It can feel very lonely!

At the end of the day, it's just a huge waiting game. It takes tons of patience. Stay focused on the end goal and be positive. If your relationship is strong and you are both really sure this is the right next step, that's what matters. If you have any potential "red flags" that CO's will pick up on, just post here on VJ or search the forums, people here are really friendly and accommodating! This website is just an amazing resource, don't know how I could get through it all without VJ.

Things haven't even been that great for us here since we moved to the US (we're already thinking about the next country to eventually move to down the road..lol) but in the meantime we are just focused on the next steps (ROC, and eventually citizenship!) and trying to enjoy the little things. Wish you guys luck!

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I don't like to pry into people's social lives, but you mentioned it, so I'll give my two cents.

Drinking every evening, every day, isn't healthy for any relationship, even if you were together. There's a lot of science to suggest alcohol can create dependency, and no doubt that it can cause issues with anger, depression etc, that carries with it a plethora of other risks and spill over into life and relationships.

- It's hard to help people break such habits, especially from thousands of miles away, but it may be worth (delicately) broaching.

- Don't bring up immigration all the time, it's like watching paint dry, and then talking about it. 

- However, communication and being open about emotions and expectations is so incredibly important, and at the risk of sounding like a jerk, it can be revealing if certain gestures aren't reciprocated by the person that supposedly loves you. I'd disagree with the guy that says being stoic as a rule is a good thing - nobody likes a complainer, but if something is, for good reason, bothering you or the relationship, then there is no good reason to bury it.

To answer your question... yes. It can happen even to strong and genuine couples. Only someone who is naive will tell you that if it's true love then mountains can't stand between you; there is a lot more to relationships than "love".

I have been long distance for over two years now and I can feel that the humdrum of daily life, which ironically used to be novel and fun to discuss, also begins to turn stale. I've made a conscious effort to make a mental note of interesting things that happen to me, I see or read.

And here is the key, the bottom line, the beginning and the end-all, the ring to your golem: you are responsible for your happiness. You need to make yourself happy first, and that will let you live more in moment, more carefree, more interesting, more addicting.

I definitely know we are lucky that I'm from the UK, and will be able to visit him in the interim. 

Alcohol has long been an issue. When I'm there he is better with it, when we are apart he uses it as a crutch. We have discussed it several times, and he is seeking therapy to deal with the underlying issues. 

My problem is that I am a control freak. Usually it manifests quite healthily but in this scenario I have no control over the immigration process. The waiting makes me feel powerless and I find that hard to deal with. My response is to read constantly about this process, knowledge is power, and I need to feel some kind of power or I am all kinds of uncomfortable. 

I know we will be ok, and we will get through. We love each other and usually are great at supporting each other and communicating. Right now we are having a tough patch but I know we will overcome it, too. 

Thank you all for your advice and perspectives. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Sarah G said:

For those who are going through fiancé or spousal visa processes, how has this affected your relationship? 

We have only just submitted the I-130 and already I know the stress is having an impact on us both. I find myself unable to talk to him about almost anything other than immigration related things, and I know it frustrates him hugely. His approach is to not talk about anything much at all, and stay home alone and drink all evening, every evening. Neither of us is dealing with it in a healthy way and it's really tough. 

I only left the US from my last visit nine days ago and already it feels like I haven't seen him in months. 

We tell ourselves this is a temporary situation, that every day that passes is a day closer to me getting the visa, but it really isn't that comforting. 

How on earth do you all cope? 

patience. it is what it is. you cant change it. 

that's how i survived 1 year. 

Hi Sarah, I'm sorry you're going through this. Which is kinda weird to say since a lot of us going through immigration and we know it's certainly difficult but not impossible. When my (now ex) husband filed for me, we received NOA and then he came to live with my in my country. This way we weren't separated for long. During the time we were separated, we kept ourselves busy with online games. That's how we initially met. Even during the time we were waiting on my visa, we played a lot of video games for distraction. Since he was with me, we were able to plan things together and actually live together. We went grocery shopping together, we had daily walks in the forest. 

So when you say you can't talk to him about anything but immigration, do you mean you guys don't talk about anything else at all? How does that work? You need to be able to communicate. It's difficult being separated and all but it is so important to keep the communication going. Especially because you are physically separated. 

I wish you lots of strength and patience. You will need it during this process.

Edited by little immigrant

I have been terrible for leading around 85% of our conversations towards talk of immigration. I think i have struggled since I returned from the US as I have been waiting to go back to work, so with not much to do it has been consuming my thoughts. However, I returned to work today and I already feel much better. Distraction is good, and it gives me more conversation 'material'. I will be working 7 days a week from today until a few days before my next visit at the end of April so I will be very busy and it will help my mind from becoming so preoccupied as I will have something else to focus on. He is very much affected by my mood so this will help him too, I'm sure. It's not an easy process and I remember people telling me that getting married was the easy part, doing all this stuff would be hard. I'm not sure I appreciated how hard I would find it, but I definitely see it now.

I would love for him to come here and be with me but sadly it's not an option for us, he's unlikely to even be able to visit as his job is not flexible and he doesn't have any vacation time accrued - nor do we have the funds to cover a trip for him here, as well as my trips there. 

We had a good conversation today about how all of this is affecting us both and agreed we will try harder to be open with each other about how we are feeling, rather than both trying to be strong for the other and pretending we are fine when sometimes we aren't. 

None of this is going to be easy, but we have a strong marriage and we will get there. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband and I have seen our relationship grow stronger in the last 14 months, living apart.  Keys to this growth while waiting for the immigration process:

1.  complete honesty, sharing everything including feelings of jealousy, misunderstanding, doubts, fears

2.  trust, trust, trust

3.  constant communication every day via text, email, with a nightly video call to see each other, share how our day went, say good night, I love you

4.  frequent visits to be together--we have had seven so far

5.  be positive and focus on little daily things that we both appreciate, avoid too much doom and gloom, negativity, sadness, pain at being apart communication

6.  spend time on yourself, to be strong individually, set goals and work on them whatever they are like exercise, learning a language, career development, etc.  If you are strong individuals, you will be stronger as a couple.

Good luck everyone with your waits!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No changed for us honestly during the process. Real change came during the initial month of living together, having to both adjust and all, getting used to each others tendencies and all.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Hi Sarah, 
I feel for you and your spouse. We all know what it is like because we have all been through it and it sucks! I am also a control freak that is also a pessimist, so I struggled greatly having no power over the situation. It feels like it will last forever, but it really won't be forever and that is a positive - it is longer than we all want, but this is the decision we have all made and committed to and we have to accept that. I agree that you and your spouse should take this time to work on communication and work on a healthy way of communication, this could help your spouse with relying less on alcohol and it will be extremely important for when you move to the United States because that is going to be another level of realness for your relationship (the first few-six months ain't easy). 

- Try Journaling  - I recommend to this to every person. Write down your thoughts and feelings, especially about immigration - this could help relieve your need to have to talk to your spouse constantly about immigration and it will also be an emotional release for you. 

- Skype Dates - It sounds odd, but it can be fun and if you set a certain time then you have something to look forward to. Watch a movie or Netflix show together (hit play at the same time). Play a game online together. Cook a meal together in your own kitchen at the same time. 
-  Focus on the here and now. - It is overwhelming to constantly be thinking about the months you have left. Just focus on this week. When you get to talk, what you are doing, etc. Plan time together if possible, so you have something to look forward to. 
- It is difficult, but every time you have a negative thought about the immigration process, the long wait, being away from your spouse, etc. Reprimand yourself by thinking about why you chose to do this, why you love your spouse, etc. Re-training your mind to be positive and release the negative thoughts. 
Good luck! There is a community here that will support you and we will be here to congratulate you when your long wait is over. You can do it! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.