Misstiq

Dodged a bullett

38 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

Could the charges have resulted in a K1 denial. Maybe but probably not. Should he have been honest, absolutely.

That is the problem.  If he answers "no" to the question he could be denied for failing to disclose information.  The arrests themselves would probably not cause a denial on their own if he were honest.  It could delay things by sending them to Vermont.

Honesty is the only way to get through this process properly.  They will already know about his arrests so they will want to see him being honest.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd also add....you should ask him to officially withdraw the K-1 petition, in case you do end up falling inlove with someone from the US again.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

I get it! you‘re hurt and upset which is understandable when you plan your future wirh someone who is lying to you..honesty is key to a relationship...especially thruout this process...

but wanting to have revenge and report him to the IRS I think is just very childish.

Move on snd find your happiness in a different way. If he is as bad as you think he is karma will probably get him...or not..

but definitely move on

Edited by mrmvkjts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I disagree to an extent with other posters.  Having trusted people and offered a helping hand, I found that the criminal element is often that way by nature.  When someone is charged for such a serious crime, unless they’re extraordinarily unlucky, they weren’t caught on the first crime they committed.  Also, they tend to not know another life or have another social circle.  So they get right back into it.

I know some people do turn their lives around.  But I generally don’t buy the idea of a drug manufacturer with a heart of gold.  I wouldn’t put any faith in him having repented if he lied to you about it.  People in the drug business tend tend to lie a lot.  Part of turning your life around is taking responsibility for your actions.  If he won’t tell his fiancée, he’s not taking responsibility for it. You also can’t have any idea of what else he’s lying about, details big or small.

You could read him the riot act, but it probably would do as much good as telling a wall.

6 hours ago, Misstiq said:

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share my news as I just discovered my fiancee lied to me with the k1 and did not disclose he had 3 drug charges against him. We applied back in the summer and I explained the steps required. After sending the application in he tells me he has not filed his taxes in 3 years! I said that is tax evading and he better file taxes asap and straighten out that mess. 

Now the drug charges, his lie is it happened 20 years ago and was a charge of selling a joint to an undercover cop. I was able to do some investigating and found out it was 3 charges of manufacturing to distribute and was just 7 years ago, which is a very serious offence . I have not confronted him with the drug charges information i recently recieved. In the meantime I have left his sorry ###. I know there was no way the k1 would have been approved. How did this moron think he was going to hide that from me. He led me on the whole time and would say let's deal with that when time comes lol. I am just grateful I found out now what a pos he is and saved myself from a huge mistake.

Should I confront him with proof of his charges and give him an opportunity to explain?  He tells everyone this lie including his so called friends. Also report him to IRS for taxes?

Yes, props to you for dodging a bullet but move on with your life and forget the guy. You know what happens when you corner animals and threaten them? Their survival instincts kick in and they try to fight back. There's no way of knowing how he would react in a confrontation...a man who has 3 drug charges of manufacturing to distribute. Who knows what else he has done that the police did not know about and charge him for? If he did not engage in violence during his illegal business, he most likely witnessed some at least. You see what I'm saying? Do yourself a favor and just move on.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Misstiq said:

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share my news as I just discovered my fiancee lied to me with the k1 and did not disclose he had 3 drug charges against him. We applied back in the summer and I explained the steps required. After sending the application in he tells me he has not filed his taxes in 3 years! I said that is tax evading and he better file taxes asap and straighten out that mess. 

Now the drug charges, his lie is it happened 20 years ago and was a charge of selling a joint to an undercover cop. I was able to do some investigating and found out it was 3 charges of manufacturing to distribute and was just 7 years ago, which is a very serious offence . I have not confronted him with the drug charges information i recently recieved. In the meantime I have left his sorry ###. I know there was no way the k1 would have been approved. How did this moron think he was going to hide that from me. He led me on the whole time and would say let's deal with that when time comes lol. I am just grateful I found out now what a pos he is and saved myself from a huge mistake.

Should I confront him with proof of his charges and give him an opportunity to explain?  He tells everyone this lie including his so called friends. Also report him to IRS for taxes?

Sure turn him in to the IRS, but you should know you will be audited also. Otherwise all the IRS would do, is investigate people. This stops this. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Calicolom said:

Sure turn him in to the IRS, but you should know you will be audited also. Otherwise all the IRS would do, is investigate people. This stops this. 

he is suppose to do taxes according to her / that makes him the USC

IRS in USA would not audit a foreigner

as for him doing taxes,  could be his income is not quite legal

3 hours ago, John & Rose said:

That is the problem.  If he answers "no" to the question he could be denied for failing to disclose information.  The arrests themselves would probably not cause a denial on their own if he were honest.  It could delay things by sending them to Vermont.

Honesty is the only way to get through this process properly.  They will already know about his arrests so they will want to see him being honest.

Actually if it went to Vermont it might get processes faster))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
6 hours ago, Going through said:

You've already ended the relationship---in my opinion, no need to confront him about anything---he's part of your past life now.  Unless you're still holding a candle for him, and there's a possibility of continuing the relationship should his explanation be sufficient enough for you, there's really nothing to be gained by him fessing up to you.

On an aside---Personally, I can relate to him not being open with you about his past charges.  I have a criminal history and have never told my parents, family or friends about it, because frankly it's none of their business and it's also something I'm not proud about.  My now-husband only found out because I was forced to tell him about it before filing for my AOS, for obvious reasons.  Otherwise, I will be perfectly honest in saying I would have never told him either.

I am in the same boat as you. I was forced to disclose something that is irrelevant in my today life. It was a stupid charge from 11 years ago. The court has no record of it anymore but I had to push push push for the right department to search closed records... took a while. I did it. I got the d*mn paperwork and I sent it along with my petition. I did not tell my fiance until literally the week before the interview. I knew it wouldn't change his feelings about me. But I was very ashamed. I knew I had to pipe up, but it took me a while to gain the courage.

OP: It sucks... I count myself as one of the most honest people I know, and that is no exaggeration. Even I found it very difficult to sludge around in my stupid past and tell my new love about it. Fear is a very very strong thing. Fear of losing the one you love can make a stable and honest person do things they'd never think about.

I feel bad for your situation. I'm sorry, truly. I agree, though... the trust is broken and may be irreparable unless you were to do a LOT of internal work... it sucks that the tough job would be on you. I've been there. It is nearly impossible.

Best,

Tina

Edited by <3T&M<3

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Just now, boris64 said:

Actually if it went to Vermont it might get processes faster))))

The thought was they already waited this long.  You are probably right, Vermont may be a good thing now.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.