KeratNY

Don't leave without advance parole! A horror story

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

https://www.justanswer.com/immigration-law/bafed-meeting-uscis-tomorrow-regards-getting.html

Look at this poor sap who got married, filed for AoS for his wife, then a few months later they left the country to do a Catholic wedding ceremony, and upon trying to re-enter the US, the wife was denied because she left without having advance parole approved. They thought they would be ok because their green card interview date was for later that same day! It is not unreasonable, if one does not know any better, to think CBP would let you into the country to attend your residency interview that day, but one more reason why it pays to understand this process fully. 

I feel sorry for them, they must be in so much pain and kicking themselves. A good reminder that we are lucky to have found this site to avoid such mistakes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I do feel bad for this guy but just assuming that it is ok because the green card interview has been scheduled and then leave the country without doing any reseach is not the smartest way too do it. I never assume anything and always do my proper research. Especially if the instructions cleary say that the application will be abandoned if the applicant leaves the country.
I hope they will be able to do consular processing though. Crossing my fingers for them.

8 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

https://www.justanswer.com/immigration-law/bafed-meeting-uscis-tomorrow-regards-getting.html

Look at this poor sap who got married, filed for AoS for his wife, then a few months later they left the country to do a Catholic wedding ceremony, and upon trying to re-enter the US, the wife was denied because she left without having advance parole approved. They thought they would be ok because their green card interview date was for later that same day! It is not unreasonable, if one does not know any better, to think CBP would let you into the country to attend your residency interview that day, but one more reason why it pays to understand this process fully. 

I feel sorry for them, they must be in so much pain and kicking themselves. A good reminder that we are lucky to have found this site to avoid such mistakes.

Well, they should know better. Sad but true. Time for them to wait for that spouse visa now. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I dont mean to judge, but what happen to all the paper work they`ve signed? By now they should be aware of all the many rules USCIS and K1 visa process has.....

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

9 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

This is why I think I told you(if I am mistaken I am sorry) not to believe everything you see on these immigration lawyer websites because they have been known to be wrong in the past.  It's unfortunate for them but it is their fault and they have no one else to blame but themselves. But they are probably going around saying things like "CBP didn't let my wife back in because she is Mexican and they are being racist".

1 minute ago, T_P said:

I dont mean to judge, but what happen to all the paper work they`ve signed? By now they should be aware of all the many rules USCIS and K1 visa process has.....

They didn't read up on the rules and regulations involved which is their fault.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

They didn't read up on the rules and regulations involved which is their fault.

That is unfortunate. 

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

This is why I think I told you(if I am mistaken I am sorry) not to believe everything you see on these immigration lawyer websites because they have been known to be wrong in the past.  It's unfortunate for them but it is their fault and they have no one else to blame but themselves. But they are probably going around saying things like "CBP didn't let my wife back in because she is Mexican and they are being racist".

Lawyer not involved in this story, it is the person who made that mistake now asking a lawyer how he can fix it

1 minute ago, Teemo said:

Lawyer not involved in this story, it is the person who made that mistake now asking a lawyer how he can fix it

Yeah he is basically asking one of those free sites online for online consultation, then the lawyers usually give an option on what to do and try to solicit their services. But it looks like he was asking mainly to see what all to do about it in general.

Edit. I have seen a some people the last couple weeks actually quote those type of things on here as if they are gospel when in reality they are not.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

What were these people thinking?  The rules are very clear if a person takes the time to read them.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah he is basically asking one of those free sites online for online consultation, then the lawyers usually give an option on what to do and try to solicit their services. But it looks like he was asking mainly to see what all to do about it in general.

Edit. I have seen a some people the last couple weeks actually quote those type of things on here as if they are gospel when in reality they are not.

This is actually a paid service, so the USC was paying a lawyer to get his answer to his questions on this case. Not saying these are gospel, but this is certainly a couple steps higher than the free sites where the lawyer is trying to solicit services. 

Disclaimer: The guy who answered that question was actually my lawyer, and I happen to think he is the best family immigration lawyer around. After all, his answers to thousands of questions are right there in a public forum. Which is why I sometimes do quote or reference him. Having a lawyer who knows what he is doing and you can trust is a gold mine. 

3 minutes ago, Teemo said:

This is actually a paid service, so the USC was paying a lawyer to get his answer to his questions on this case. Not saying these are gospel, but this is certainly a couple steps higher than the free sites where the lawyer is trying to solicit services. 

Disclaimer: The guy who answered that question was actually my lawyer, and I happen to think he is the best family immigration lawyer around. After all, his answers to thousands of questions are right there in a public forum. Which is why I sometimes do quote or reference him. Having a lawyer who knows what he is doing and you can trust is a gold mine. 

Ok thank you for letting me know that information. I was referring to sites like those free sites and I don't know anything about this one in particular.

That's great that you found a immigration attorney that is actually competent and does a great job, because a lot of them don't and give misleading advice. But I am glad you found a good one.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I do feel sorry for them. But....yeah. Why don't people read the rules and FOLLOW THEM. We haven't even reached the stage for filing EAD or AP yet, and we've been well aware for a while now that he (we, because I wouldn't go anywhere without him anyway) won't be leaving the country for a while. That's the point of AP - otherwise, why would it be a necessity to apply if you can still travel internationally without it?? *face palm*

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.