KeratNY

Don't leave without advance parole! A horror story

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
41 minutes ago, bad4tatt said:

I do not understand why people do not read anything they sign. USCIS site is there for a reason. When you look to file AP it specifically states not to travel without it or AOS is considered abandoned and you will not be let in.  It's like people are afraid to use their website that has any info one would need. Then come to this site freaking out looking for help.  ughhhh!!!

Great point. A lot of people try to blame the system or the "rules"... but yet they are the ones who didn't bother to even think of, read about, or try to understand what they were getting involved in, then turn around and blame the 'game' so to say. Oh well.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

I just shook my head at the part where he said his next strategy was to go to USCIS and plead for them to let his wife back in. At the end it looked like he would move to Mexico to wait it out with his wife.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

This may sound very harsh, but stupidity should be painful. For only one reason: next time they won't do the same mistake, and other people will learn from their experience.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Springrain22 said:

This may sound very harsh, but stupidity should be painful. For only one reason: next time they won't do the same mistake, and other people will learn from their experience.

Not harsh at all - the best lessons we learn are the ones we learn the hard way, unfortunately.

Of course it's easy for us to pass judgement from here, just based on those few comments - it's not as though the person has come here and shared the entire story. But... this really appears to be a case of bad judgement on their part. You come across the disclosure more than once throughout the process explaining the purpose of the AP - it's clear cut with no hidden small print that you CANNOT leave the country until it's been approved. And he says they "figured/assumed" she would be let back in just because of the appointment they had - this is not the kind of process where you should be assuming anything. If that was a thought they had, they should have verified it beforehand - which of course would have educated them on the fact that, NO, the appointment alone would not guarantee his wife re-entry.

Until my husband has full citizenship, even after completing all the necessary paperwork, I'm pretty sure we will be checking and re-checking things before we ever board a plane or otherwise leave the country. One of the most devastating obstacles with immigration, I think, is winding up losing everything you've worked for so far over a small mistake or error on your part where you go "I should've known better".

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

smh...why do people not put in the 5 min worth of research (or asking a question) first? The information to not leave under those circumstances is all over the place. It would have saved them so much money, time, stress, etc.

I still feel bad for them, but their situation is entirely their own ignorance. Choices have consequences....time to pay the piper.

Luckily, they didn't come on a K-1 visa. If so, they would have to start the whole process over with an I-130. Since they did concurrent filing of the I-130 + I-485, only the I-485 is denied...the I-130 should remain open to go through consular processing. Hopefully the IO updates it to do so...otherwise an I-824 may be needed to get USCIS to send it to NVC.

Edit: Whoops...missed the last posts. The IO agreed to do so w/o the I-824.

Also, props to the attorney...proper immigration advice and expectations, including confirming no bar (expedited deportation) for trying to enter without a proper visa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

Not harsh at all. I'm a fiction writer and have worked in all kinds of offices so I'm used to reading insane volumes of everything from legal papers to fiction to equipment manuals. Naturally when it came time for us to go through this process, I was the one who read every single one of the instruction packets and explained it all to my husband because he was the one working and didn't have the free time to research. I don't know how much time I spent Googling all kinds of forums and law websites to make absolutely sure we didn't do anything like accidentally abandon our application. I understand English is not everybody's first language. However, for ALL couples going through this process, it IS the first language for the American citizen so there's really no excuse. EDIT: I shouldn't assume English is the first language for all USC's because I realize many citizens are naturalized and grew up with a different language as their first. However, if they naturalized, it means their English is strong enough. The language on the USCIS forms can be a little confusing but they're not definitely not laden down with complex and technical legalese. The rules of AP and the phrase "abandoning your application" are easy enough to understand.

There have been a few posts lately where people accidentally filed I-90 for RoC or didn't file at all (what?!?!) or things like this where the forms and instructions were clearly not read and understood. It's SO SO SO important and literally decides two people's fates and lives in this country, especially for the foreigner. They messed up big time and it absolutely could have been avoided SO easily. I hope it works out for them but I also hope they smarten up.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Omg I don’t feel sorry for those people at all. They were just flat out stupid. Why would you leave the country without the proper paperwork to return. All of that information is easily accessible. It’s not an excuse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Moral of the story here: read, research, read then research some more then read some more and when you think you know enough about it, read and research some more before doing anything. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Read, read, read... and then read again! This is a shame because even the first "read" would have told them not to do this. I do feel bad for them, I'm sure they're a fine couple, but they really don't have an excuse. This isn't the kind of process where you can just dance your way across the border without knowing the rules for return.

I used the JustAnswer site once for some questions I had. The lawyer gave horribly inaccurate answers, and I actually had to correct some of his statements by citing USCIS instructions. I'm sure there are some good lawyers on there, but I definitely got a dud. I recommend caution with that service (and any lawyer for that matter).

Edited by shumway88
Typo adjustment.

2 hours ago, SaRy said:

In addition to all what's been mentioned in the previous comments, why would anyone book a flight for the same day they have the interview...

Seriously! What if the flight got delayed, plane diverted, or cancelled? That's just extremely poor decision making skills in general.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Seriously! What if the flight got delayed, plane diverted, or cancelled? That's just extremely poor decision making skills in general.

Exactly my thought! Besides, one needs to be prepared and well rested. Not just arriving from the airport.

~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
15 hours ago, Teemo said:

This is actually a paid service, so the USC was paying a lawyer to get his answer to his questions on this case. Not saying these are gospel, but this is certainly a couple steps higher than the free sites where the lawyer is trying to solicit services.

I've used sites like that before, pay a quick fee and get some solid consultation from an experienced lawyer. It also lets you get a refund in case you're not satisfied. Very convenient for some quick professional answer and pretty ingenious concept .

Back to the original topic, rules are rules. Me and my fiance are going to file the advanced parole and only use it for some type of family emergency, we don't plan to use it (Still waiting for the NOA2 right now).

The fact that the person in the link of the original post did this on the same day of a scheduled interview is incredibly insane

Edited by Rocko20

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.