Pat2021

IR1 - Difficulty finding work

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I would put this somewhere on your resume

Suggested earlier. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Try joining the local Chamber of Commerce/  u will meet important business people in the area u live in and make the connections as said in one response

"its who you know"

I joined here in 2 cities near me just to meet people

Every community has a Chamber of Commerce, or at least they should. The goal of any Chamber is to help to further the interests of small businesses in a local area. The activities can range from hosting events, to lobbying local representatives to charitable works for the betterment of the community

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Have you had anyone look over your resume and get their feedback? That's what my wife did. Edit: apparently you have done this too.

Have you reached out to temp agencies? My wife's first two years of work experience was through those agencies. Not ideal, but easy way to get some American work experience on your resume. Also another way to get feedback on your resume.

Engineering is always in high demand, and the US has a reputation for having too few of them. If you're not getting many responses, then maybe something is "amiss" on your resume. HR looks for keywords, and if they aren't there, your resume is tossed aside.

57 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

Also, consider applying for jobs that you are overqualified for. It would help to get some work experience in the US. The great thing about jobs in the US compared to my experience in Europe, is that it is easy to climb up to better paid positions when you show that you are good at your job. I started 5 years ago at an entry-level position, and in the past few years I have received a promotion and several raises; I now make almost double that initial salary.

Good luck!

This is similar to my wife's experience. Her first jobs here were data entry and the like, and now she's a manager making 4x her first temp jobs several years ago.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Really recommend working with a recruiter. You can try to message them yourself on LinkedIn, there are so many out there. There might also be recruiters/staffing agencies in your city you can contact.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It can’t be the M. Eng. I have an M. Eng from NC State and a jaw breaking foreign name however after graduation during interviews never had any questions to clarify what it was. Also just choose the MS option like you’ve been doing.

A word for you though, I don’t know what country you’re originally from however if it not from a handful of western developed nations like the UK or Canada, your chances of getting a position related to your degree particularly STEM positions are slim to none except perhaps software and programming and IT positions if you’re from India.

Sadly and May I say ignorantly many/most Americans or perhaps American recruiters don’t have much respect for foreign degrees and for many immigrants getting a masters degree in the USA is not by choice but to make it easier to integrate or be accepted in the American workforce.

In the interim keep churning out those applications and welcome!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I also had similar trouble getting my first US job despite having earned a master's degree and working for a very large institution for 10+ years. Like others have said, it helped when I added "US Permanent Resident" right at the top of my resume. Another thing I did that helped was I worked with a temp agency to get a role tangentially related to my field just so I could get some experience on my resume. I actually wanted a temp role so I could leave more easily. Less than 2 months into a temp role I could apply for jobs actually in my field and got interviews much more often. I know temp work isn't exactly desirable for everyone, but I think it was helpful to be able to demonstrate I was in the US and working for a US company without trouble. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Sadly and May I say ignorantly many/most Americans or perhaps American recruiters don’t have much respect for foreign degrees

In my part of the STEM world this is not the case. In particular degrees from UK, India, Canada, Australia (I.e. where most foreign computer programmers working in the USA are educated) are considered equivalent.  

I can’t think of a single hire / no-hire decision that was made during my career because of what country issued a degree. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

If you are not afraid to start fresh, then you can go work for Amazon get some experience and money while you searching. That is what I did, was head of IT for a whole region and it was hard to find something, went to work for Amazon after 3 months i was promoted twice and got back into IT within Amazon. Worked there for a year as I was get US work experience. I now work as a Global sr manager information systems with a different company. Don't be afraid to start fresh from the bottom. 

This may not be relevant to OP, but I graduated from US University and when I was applying for jobs I also listed my foreign degree I obtained before moving to US. I received very little interest as a new graduate. 

After I decided to drop my foreign education from my resume I received a lot more interest and more invites for the interviews. I believe this may be related to ageism even though I was only in my early thirties when that happened. I believe listing my foreign degree made my appear older. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

I was going to suggest temping too.  It lets you get a good feel for the company (to decide if you really want to work there).  Often companies hire temps into permanent jobs, as it is a way for them to try out the employee as well.  Good luck!  Looking for a job is soul destroying, so just remember what you are doing is hard and give yourself lots of grace.

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.