Pat2021

IR1 - Difficulty finding work

35 posts in this topic

I immigrated at the beginning of the year to the US on IR1 and have since been looking for work. However, so far, after 2 months of trying, I have not had a single call-back, job interview, or even invite. Just a few rejections and mostly radio silence.

I've finished an MEng degree, which doesn't seem to be known here, so wondering if that's an issue? I also have 3.5 years of work experience, but with nearly a year gap due to COVID lay-offs in 2020/21 and then I quit my job in Dec. 2022 to move to the US and no work since - is that an issue?

Furthermore, the jobs I had, I was being rotated through various departments on an as-needed basis, so I don't have technical skills in a specific area but rather a wide variety of skills in lots of areas.

I did look at how to tailor resumes for the US market, how to apply, and had my resume looked at by multiple people that said it's strong, but even so, nothing as of yet.

I am wondering if either the MEng or the gaps are red flags and if so how can I overcome them?

From what I've seen MEng is pretty much equivalent to MS, just more engineering focused, so when the online portal only lets me choose between BS, MS and PhD, I choose MS.

I've seen it's now a numbers game, and I'm applying to a big number of jobs, so that should not be it. Could it also be that recruiters think my resume is fake, as the companies on it are based in the UK?

Thank you both for the good advice. The ideas, especially #2 sounds very good. For #1 I've noticed for the big companies it's usually "faceless" and difficult to find out who department head / hiring manager is.

For city, I live near LA, so looking for jobs in LA, there's no shortage of postings thankfully.

20 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

What I suggest doing is at the top of the resume write a short sentence stating “authorized to work in the US - Lawful Permanent Resident”

Most companies I've applied for ask for that during the automatic profile creation thing, but I can double-down on the resume if that's helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

have u thought about going back to college

California has some great offers for honing in your skills 

Who qualifies for free college tuition in California?

California residents or nonresidents under the California Dream Act may be eligible for the California College Promise Grant if they: Demonstrate financial need. Complete a FAFSA or California Dream Act application. Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.

And this:

Do California residents get free college tuition
my add from resources online  (i believe this one requires 366 days residency the state)

Free college isn't a new idea in California: The state's Promise program gives full-time students at some colleges scholarships to cover tuition, and students with a low-enough income can also apply to have their fees waived.Sep 8, 2022

39 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

have u thought about going back to college

California has some great offers for honing in your skills 

Who qualifies for free college tuition in California?

California residents or nonresidents under the California Dream Act may be eligible for the California College Promise Grant if they: Demonstrate financial need. Complete a FAFSA or California Dream Act application. Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.

And this:

Do California residents get free college tuition
my add from resources online  (i believe this one requires 366 days residency the state)

Free college isn't a new idea in California: The state's Promise program gives full-time students at some colleges scholarships to cover tuition, and students with a low-enough income can also apply to have their fees waived.Sep 8, 2022

Hmm fair enough but the only degrees above what I have would be MBA or PhD, both of which I don't believe would qualify for this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You're looking for BIG companies? Good luck. They bleed you to death. I will not entertain any calls from FB, Apple, Tesla. As soon as I hear one of them, I tell them flat NO..

Some people,  however, get tickled by big companies and only want to work for such. Having worked a few years of my career, I only do small or medium companies. Better pay, flexible hours and I do whatever I want, as long as you get the job done. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

17 minutes ago, Timona said:

You're looking for BIG companies? Good luck. They bleed you to death. I will not entertain any calls from FB, Apple, Tesla. As soon as I hear one of them, I tell them flat NO..

Some people,  however, get tickled by big companies and only want to work for such. Having worked a few years of my career, I only do small or medium companies. Better pay, flexible hours and I do whatever I want, as long as you get the job done. 

I do agree with that, however I am applying across the spectrum, from tiny companies all the way to giants like Boeing. Just to get in somewhere, after that I'll have more leverage (and at least income).

When I came to the US, I pretty much had to start my career from scratch again. Not ideal, but I found that the harsh reality is that a career in a different country doesn't seem to count and you'll have to prove yourself all over again in the US.

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Another idea is to search for American engineering societies, such as

asce.org

aiche.org

and others.

They will have discussion forums.  Read and perhaps join them.

Their officers will be prominent academicians and industrialists.  Reach out to them.

The sites may have archived articles that apply to your situation.  Read them.

I honestly think that you're swimming upstream by trying to do everything solo.  Reach out.  Make folks aware of you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Master of Engineering degrees have been around decades if not centuries in this country:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Engineering

https://eecs.berkeley.edu/academics/graduate/industry-programs/meng

I’d be hard pressed to find a state university that doesn’t offer a master of engineering degree. 

Applying for jobs online is rarely effective. You need to have someone inside present your resume to a hiring manager. 

Are there people on your UK LinkedIn network who work for companies that have engineering operations in both countries? Contact them and ask them to make a referral for a job posted externally and then ask them to send a your resume directly to the hiring manager. When I did this on behalf of former coworkers, this generated a phone screen call over 50 percent of time. Literally orders of magnitude more effective than applying for 100s of jobs online each day. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

ask them to make a referral for a job posted externally and then ask them to send a your resume directly to the hiring manager.

Yes... and, often, these employees will get a "referral bonus" for having referred someone who's subsequently hired, so there's incentive there.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

Yes... and, often, these employees will get a "referral bonus" for having referred someone who's subsequently hired, so there's incentive there.

Indeed. I had years earning over $5K in referrals alone. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Indeed. I had years earning over $5K in referrals alone. 

Then Pat the OP should pursue this avenue in order to find highly motivated help!

Timeline

Also, some people have negative reactions to this, but I would put this somewhere on your resume:

”Authorized to work in the U.S.”

or even:

”Lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.