Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About kiwibean

  • Rank
  • Member # 232222
  • Location Boston, MA, USA

Profile Information

  • City
  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Naturalization (approved)
  • Place benefits filed at
    Texas Service Center
  • Local Office
    Boston MA
  • Country
    New Zealand
  • Our Story
    J visas. Spouse won DV while in US. Did AOS from US.
    Filed for citizenship in 2016 (me) and 2019 (spouse)

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

665 profile views
  1. I'd agree with everyone else. I had to sit around and do nothing for the first 9 or so months, and it drove me crazy.
  2. We used a lawyer, because I just didn't really know where to start. If I'd found VJ first, I would have been golden. The lawyer didn't do much - our case was pretty straightforward.
  3. After getting very bored, I did a lot of volunteer work with the church. You could also try the local senior center or community center. The transportation can be a bit of a bummer. I was luckily that it was only about a mile or so to the church, and the roads were shoveled by the town in winter. Some of the connections I made through my volunteer work actually ended up getting me my first US job! You could also try and skill up. Take a MOOC course (online learning) through Coursera or edX or something similar. You can audit the courses for free (Coursera is currently $49 if you want to receive a certificate at the end). Might be a good way to pad your resume a bit.
  4. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Life happens. Many, many people have stayed in relationships and hoped against hope that they would work.
  5. There's really not so much. The most common work visa is your H1-B. Your employer can sponsor you to move to a green card after that, but the wait can be horrendous. Not as bad for UK citizens though. You have to find a company that's willing to apply for an H1-B visa. I know my company most often employs workers on the OPT work-after-a-degree visa, and then sponsors them for H1-B if they prove to be a worthwhile employee. They won't look at hiring anyone who needs sponsoring for a visa, because it's such a toss up as to whether or not the employer will get one. Here's information on the L-1 (international work transfer) visa. You can see if that sounds like you http://phelpsattorneys.com/l1-visa-the-intra-company-transfer-visa-for-usa/#:~:text=The L-1 visa is,or workers with specialized skills.
  6. I'm so sorry this is such a difficult time for you and your wife. I hope you visa gets finalized soon.
  7. I'm so glad to hear you're making some progress towards getting out. It must be wonderful to see there's light at the end of the tunnel. Keep going. I bet there will be some bumps on the way, but you're almost there!
  8. I'd be interested too! I know that I'll have to file US tax returns even if I happen to move out of the country. What else should I worry about?
  9. How about a summer in the US? It wouldn't be a glamorous job, but could be your easiest bet. https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel/ Your brother might be able to get an H2 visa.
  10. And plus one on check the rates carefully! I transferred a large sum of money. It came from my home country back to Bank of America (if I remember correctly) before coming to my local bank. And although I'd carefully checked out the rates, that second (middle) bank really screwed me over on the rate. Your best bet to really know what you're going to get, is to get the first (local) bank to send the money in USD.
  11. I got my green card through the diversity lottery. There's a whole forum for us!
  12. I've bought packaged seeds in before (correctly declared). They didn't mind. And then I never planted them anyway!
  13. My husband was just naturalized. At the ceremony, they advised you to apply for passports for your children along with YOUR citizenship certificate. But. They said sometimes the Dept of State won't accept that, and asks for a certificate for the child. In which case you have to pay $1k to receive one. They advised you to apply without it, and "see how you get on". It sounds ridiculous to me. Left hand not talking to the right. USCIS says you don't need one, but it's up to the Dept of State, who sometimes don't know you don't need one.
  14. I was wondering if that was the case - that your husband needed it to prove his father was his father. Man, this is a difficult one! Your husband being deployed really seems like a special case.
  15. It almost seems like they missed the joint sponsor information. I agree that your wife's income alone was probably pushing it ($25K at 100% or $32k at 125% for a household of 4). But adding in a joint sponsor with an income of $33k and a household size of 1 seems like it would be enough.
  • Create New...