oat12

Worried and scared... Abusive spouse threatening to call USCIS

79 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, oat12 said:

They didn’t ask about my spouse at POE. They only confirmed address change and then reminded me of how long it would take to receive my documents. 

Thank you for answering one of my questions, you were lucky on country of origin . 

Hopefully you feel comfortable about answering IF he knew your flight and was waiting at airport? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP is filing for a re entry permit so looking at longer than 5 years

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I only see it being a potential issue if the OP applies for naturalisation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, oat12 said:

I really don’t appreciate these comments because you don’t know my situation. I was with him for a couple of years before we even put an application forward for our greencard. 

I hid his abuse from everyone. Mostly because I internalised it and thought I deserved to be abused and also because I thought he would change. 

Closer to the interview and my move, he got considerably worse. Extremely bad even and that’s when it became real for me that this would not be possible. I still tried to push through. 

Abusive relationships are very complicated and there is a lot of trauma involved. Escaping is more difficult than people think, but this is usually the case when both partners live in the same house, or country at least. 

I think I am just trying to wrap my head around the timing of when you decided that you had enough (which was literally the minute you entered the US to activate your green card).

Not judging or accusing you of anything, it is just the timing that seems odd. I understand that you did not want to give up easily, but what was it that you wanted to keep going for? Was it the relationship or the move? 

Wishing you all the best! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

9 minutes ago, Daphne K said:

Abusive relationships are very complicated and there is a lot of trauma involved. Escaping is more difficult than people think, but this is usually the case when both partners live in the same house, or country at least. 

I think I am just trying to wrap my head around the timing of when you decided that you had enough (which was literally the minute you entered the US to activate your green card).

Not judging or accusing you of anything, it is just the timing that seems odd. I understand that you did not want to give up easily, but what was it that you wanted to keep going for? Was it the relationship or the move? 

Wishing you all the best! 

He dumped me after my approval. I didn’t ask for the relationship to end. He did. And even after I begged, he refused to be with me. Until a few weeks later when he tried to take me back and I told him no. 

I wanted to keep going for him but the things he did towards the end were unforgivable. They were inexcusable actions after years of me making excuses. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Family said:

and you never know how meticulous scorned  US spouses can be in their heartbreak “ she did me wrong” song to USCIS.

Have you ever seen USCIS acting on it?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're an IR-1, you don't have to worry about filing I-751, your immigration status is yours and yours alone. He can't take it away. Keep all the evidence safe, USCIS does not look kindly upon abusive spouses.

Best of luck to you!

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

4 hours ago, African Zealot said:

We had a similar case here yesterday where a gentleman from Nigeria had been approved but his spouse didn’t want him to come. In his case the spouse had indicated she intended to alert immigration.

Getting through the POE can be tough too, this poor soul never made out the airport , and the USC Petitioner got called …before he made it to safety 

https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-element-cse&cx=partner-pub-3407508467788263:9725800110&q=https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/784093-detained-at-customs/page/5/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwi-vMuM1vf4AhVBVTUKHbnqAFYQFnoECAAQAg&usg=AOvVaw2ZFinvTyHsGv6RIrp1egoZ

Edited by Family

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
16 hours ago, oat12 said:

Hello guys,

I recently got approved for an IR1 in May. 

The day after my approval, my husband began escalating his verbal abuse and vitriol towards me and eventually blocked me on everything claiming he wanted nothing to do with me over some very pathetic arguments we had been having. He then unblocked me and we tried to work things out as things between us were not going well. He kept dumping me and taking me back in a constant cycle over very minuscule problems and abusing me/threatening me over messages. It got so bad to the point where I just allowed him to dump me.

I then entered the USA to activate my greencard. I had hoped that in this time, he would calm down and we could work things out but his behaviour got worse. He asked for me back and I said no. 

He is now threatening to report me to immigration services and claims that I used him for a greencard. We were together for almost 4 years, I entered the marriage in good faith but ultimately could no longer stay as his behaviour started to make me concerned for my safety. I put up with a lot of abuse from him from day 1 because I loved him and believed he could change.

I am now worried because he emailed me telling me that he will report me to immigration and tell them that I left him shortly after I got approved. And that I have been trying to file for a divorce (which I have because I do not believe we can work things out).

How will I know once he has done this?

Will my green card be taken away from me? Will I be able to tell USCIS my side of what has happened? (I have an extensive file of evidence including: emails, whatsapp messages and voice recordings of his abuse). 

I have also applied for a re entry permit so that I can go back to the UK to take care of my ill mother but I ultimately want to move here and make the USA my permanent home. Will his false report affect my re entry application?

I apologise if this is confusing or lacks context. I just need some help.

You are a green card holder. File citizenship after 5 years and get your citizenship. End of kuot

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.