Jump to content

67 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody, 

 

I have a problem and will try to explain my whole case in a few sentences, hoping someone will be able to help me: 

 

We applied for the 129f in March of 2018, I was admitted to the US on December 20th as a K1 Visa holder. 

My then fiancé and I got married on the 21st of February and applied for AOS (485) along with AP (131) and EAD (765) on March 1st. Two days ago I received an email stating, that the case was received on March 8th.

 

We planned our wedding which will take place in Germany on July 6th of 2019 in the beginning of last year, booked our venue, florists, dj, cake, photo-/videographer and sent out our invites in the beginning of this year.

 

Since it is a destination wedding we are expecting guests not just from America and Germany, but from all around the world. A lot of guests already booked their flights and also booked their hotels. 

 

Last night I checked, how long the processing times for the i131 are and I got stunned. The uscis website says it will take between 5-7 months. I have to be in Germany in 3 1/2 months. 

 

The wedding party costs approximately 30k and that just includes the costs me and my wife have. 

 

Would I be eligible for an expedited AP? 

Is this reason for an emergency, since I would take a severe financial damage of I can't make it to my own wedding? 

Should I just sit and wait and hope that my documents get to me on time? 

 

Thank you in advance everyone! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I have to agree, this is not an emergency. An example of an emergency would be like a significant loved one got diagnosed with a terminal disease and only has 1 month to live or something like that. A wedding is not an emergency. Weddings generally don't just happen just like that, they require planning. You can get married on a whim, but generally to pull together a wedding need lots and lots of planning.

 

You can always make a request. Just put in a request. 

 

Maybe a Skype wedding?

Edited by USS_Voyager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yeah, I have to agree, this is not an emergency. An example of an emergency would be like a significant loved one got diagnosed with a terminal disease and only has 1 month to live or something like that. A wedding is not an emergency. Weddings generally don't just happen just like that, they require planning. You can get married on a whim, but generally to pull together a wedding need lots and lots of planning.

 

You can always make a request. Just put in a request. 

 

Maybe a Skype wedding?

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

  • Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: The request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the Government.); 
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

 

This is the criteria to get the AP expedited. 

 

Also, when we were planning the wedding, the processing times were less than 3 months. Research done, circumstances changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mulugulu said:

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

  • Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: The request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the Government.); 
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

 

This is the criteria to get the AP expedited. 

 

Also, when we were planning the wedding, the processing times were less than 3 months. Research done, circumstances changed. 

 

To have a wedding you would first need to get divorced

 

Your loss  is not attending a party. The money would be gone either way.

 

 


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder who pays to go to a party an amount that would constitute a severe financial loss?


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mulugulu said:

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

  • Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situations;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: The request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the Government.); 
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

 

This is the criteria to get the AP expedited. 

 

Also, when we were planning the wedding, the processing times were less than 3 months. Research done, circumstances changed. 

I get how being out $30k is a financial loss, but that money is spent whether you go or not.  That’s why everyone is saying you likely don’t qualify under those grounds.  

 

3 minutes ago, Six29 said:

Why are you and some others being a ####### to this poor guy? He just needs help and wants some sense of direction as to his options.

 

He clearly says he planned his wedding early last year, so the timelines with this damn shutdown have been affected and how was he supposed to know this was going to happen almost 1.5 years later?

 

Sheesh... Kindness goes a long way for everyone around here. 

I don’t think anyone is being rude here.  Your mistaking harsh truth with rude.  

 

It is never advised to plan anything until all ducks are in a row.  Planning their celebration should have occurred when ducks were in a row, even if it meant the party would be 1.5 years after the marriage vs a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Six29 said:

He clearly says he planned his wedding early last year, so the timelines with this damn shutdown have been affected and how was he supposed to know this was going to happen almost 1.5 years later?

That is kind of the point, he doesn’t know. So the advice is always “do not plan anything or pay any money until you have that travel document in hand” whether it’s a visa or AP or green card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...