Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'travel'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion
    • K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures
    • IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures
    • Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion
    • Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America
    • Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America
    • What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration
  • Non-Family Based US Visa Discussion
    • Tourist Visas
    • Work Visas
    • Student & Exchange Visitor Visas
    • Diversity Lottery Visas
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Consulate & USCIS Service Center Discussion
    • National Visa Center (Dept of State)
    • US Embassy and Consulate Discussion
    • Waivers (I-601 and I-212) and Administrative Processes (221g)
    • USCIS Service Centers
  • US Visa Holder and Permanent Resident Immigration Discussion
    • Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas
    • Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas
    • Working & Traveling During US Immigration
    • Tax & Finances During US Immigration
    • Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion
    • US Citizenship General Discussion
    • Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits
    • Military Immigration-Related Discussion
    • General Immigration-Related Discussion
  • General Discussion Area
    • Off Topic
    • Games While You Wait
    • Regional Discussion
    • Moving to the US and Your New Life In America
    • Finding Work in America
    • Emigrating Outside the US
    • Current Events and Hot Social Topics
    • Introducing our Members
    • General Polls
    • US Immigration News and Discussion
    • Site-Related Discussion - Updates, Ideas, etc.
  • Moderator and Organizer Forums (Hidden)

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



miles from

Is online?

Has photo?

Content Count

Between and

Last Visit

Between and



Immigration Status

Place benefits filed at

Local Office


Our Story

Found 65 results

  1. Am I allowed to visit my husband while we are waiting for his approval for his visa?
  2. Hi everyone! Can anyone tell me their experiences with the advance parole? How does it work? My husand and I are in the process of his adjustment of status & applying for an Advance Parole. We’re anticipating on going out of the country & would like to know any tips if there are any to make his entry back in the country with no issues. Thanks!!
  3. My husband was denied entry on his plane last night by Air Canada in the Lima, Peru airport. He had his passport, expired green card, and his I-797 notice of action showing that his green card is extended a year and he is authorized for travel while we wait for the removal of conditions on his green card. He also had an ETA (electronic travel authorization), which as far as I can tell, is all that is needed for a US permanent resident to travel to/through Canada. His flight goes through Toronto before entering the US. He was told that the I-797 was not a valid travel document. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions about what we can do to get him home? All Air Canada agents on the phone are very unhelpful, and they no agents arrive in the airport until 10pm, so he wasn't able to speak with anyone this afternoon. We're looking at other airlines, but don't want to pay an outrageous cost for a new ticket when there's no valid reason he's being denied entry.
  4. What documents do I need to travel outside the United States? In general, you will need to present a passport from your country of citizenship or your refugee travel document to travel to a foreign country. In addition, the foreign country may have additional entry/exit requirements (such as a visa). For information on foreign entry and exit requirements, see the Department of State’s webpage at www.travel.state.gov. What documents do I need to present to reenter the United States? If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States. For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage at www.cbp.gov. Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status? Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence. What if my trip abroad will last longer than 1 year? If you plan on being absent from the United States for longer than a year, it is advisable to first apply for a reentry permit on Form I-131. Obtaining a reentry permit prior to leaving the United States allows a permanent or conditional permanent resident to apply for admission into the United States during the permit’s validity without the need to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. Please note that it does not guarantee entry into the United States upon your return as you must first be determined to be admissible; however, it will assist you in establishing your intention to permanently reside in the United States. For more information, see the USCIS Travel Documents page. If you remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years, any reentry permit granted before your departure from the United States will have expired. In this case, it is advisable to consider applying for a returning resident visa (SB-1) at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. An SB-1 applicant will be required to establish eligibility for an immigrant visa and will need a medical exam. There is an exception to this process for the spouse or child of either a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or civilian employee of the U.S. Government stationed abroad on official orders. For more information on obtaining a returning resident visa, see the Department of State’s webpage on returning resident visas at www.travel.state.gov. Additionally, absences from the United States of six months or more may disrupt the continuous residency required for naturalization. If your absence is one year or longer and you wish to preserve your continuous residency in the United States for naturalization purposes, you may file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes on Form N-470.
  5. Hi all, I have really urgent question. I am I485 + I360 Pending. I am divorced with I485 sponsor due to abuse in the relationship. I485 interview was not scheduled yet. My current EAD+AP which are based on pending I485 Expires on 29NOV19. I have an invitation of my client for a business meeting in Toronto on 25-26NOV19. Is it safe to travel or not? Will I be admitted back to the US? Let's say I return on 27NOV19, but AP expires on 29NOV19. Can I expedite EAD+AP based on invitation letter from my client? I applied for an extension on July 16, 2019. I360 will be pending for 1 more year. Please help!
  6. My husband and I want to travel within US. My visa was expired. I just received my NOA1 for my adjusment of status. Am I allowed to fly within US without having a problem in the airport? Advance thank you for the response! God bless.
  7. Hello all, My divorce process is not final yet. I filed as a Waiver and received the Extended Letter. I checked my application number online, but it says VALIDATION ERROR(S). I’m wanting to travel to Canada. I’m worried that Customs can’t validate my application number and I can’t reenter the US. Is there anyone had the similar situation but traveled and reentered US recently, like 2 or 3 months ago? Thank you all!
  8. Hi all, I'm currently waiting for my AOS to be "approved" and in the meantime my Green Card has already expired. I received a letter that states my status has been extended for 16 months and I can work and travel but I'm wondering if it's safe to do so? I'm planning on traveling out of the country for vacation but I also need to travel for work. I would appreciate any feedback or experience anyone's had with this :) Regards,
  9. I'm in a weird predicament, wondering if anyone else has ever used a Statutory Declaration in place of a Police Certificate when that certificate can NOT be produced? Situation: Myself (and fiancé) spent 7 months traveling together in Cambodia. We spent the majority of that time at one guesthouse in Sihanoukville without paying rent (owner is a friend) My understanding is that I need a police check from Cambodia because I was in the country for 6+ months. ----- However ---- To acquire a police certificate from Cambodia you have to appear in person at the Ministry of Justice in PP. To get the Police Cert. from them you have to provide a "Certificate of Residence" given to you by the Sangkat (community center). The Certificate of Residence can only be produced by giving the Sangkat a copy of your lease agreement. I did not ever hold a lease or pay rent in Cambodia so I can not get a Residence Certificate, Therefore, I also can not get a Police Certificate from the Ministry of Justice. I was a traveler, not a resident, despite the length of my stay. A lease can't be created retroactively, and I've read a lot of old forums on here where people described paying-off various officials to get it done - but the most recent one suggests that the Sangkat people no longer have the ability to "create" Residence Certificates when given tea-money, so that is also not an option. Long story short, I plan on drafting a Statutory Declaration and swearing an oath to the above, and that: Even if I fly to Cambodia (for $1500+) and negotiate with the MoJ (despite not being able to read/write/speak Khmer) that I can't make a Police Certificate appear because I'm unable to prove I ever held residence in Cambodia. Will the USCIS or DOS or the Consulate have any problem with this? I plan on attaching relevant documents supporting my claim, along with a sworn statement from the guesthouse owner stating that I didn't ever pay him for my stay. Thank you thank you thank you, the last thing I want is to find out at the last minute that they demand I fly to Cambodia to get this paperwork, even though I know that it's not possible for me to get it.
  10. Hi everyone I recently received news that my EAD card is being produced (106 days wait). There are no new notifications on my AP, though, and haven't seen anything after that first notice of "your application has been received". Does anyone know if EADs are also created without AP? Or do they always send the EAD/AP card combo now? I applied for the EAD and AP at the same time with my AOS. Thank you all! You are a wise group of people.
  11. Hi team! Does anyone have any experience with traveling abroad while they are processing the removal of conditions and the current permanent resident card w/ conditions has (or will be) expired. Doing my research and bringing my current (expired) card + the letter notice of extension + a I-551 stamp should do the trick, but wondering if anyone has any experience . I travel frequently outside the US - for work and leisure, but did get a little worried once I saw the processing times. Based on the information I find, as long as I take the expired card, stamp AND the letter I should be fine. But would love to hear any experiences from people who are/have been in the same boat. My card expires end of January - and my next travel to Europe will be in March. I751 was sent in back in November, Bio taken in December, now just waiting Any feedback/experiences will be appreciated Thanks team!
  12. Hello everyone, My permanent resident card expires at the end of November. Hence the application window opens at the end of August. I have two main questions, 1. I'll be traveling back home to Belgium for family reasons from 8/22 to 9/3. Do you think I'll have any issues traveling with a green card that's expiring in November? Either when leaving the country, entering the country on my way back, or even when boarding the flight coming back to the US where they'll check my greencard. (I've heard of people getting turned down at the airport when traveling with a passport that expires in the next 3 months. My passport is good until 2026, it's just my greencard that expires 11/30/2019) 2. I'll send the application packet as soon as I get back from Belgium. However, from 9/8 to 10/28 I'll be in Florida for work. I live in Virginia, so I'm wondering how that's going to work with the biometrics appointment. If I remember correctly, that usually happens about a month or so after applying. They will probably give me an appointment here in Virginia. Will I have to come back from Florida to do this, or can I go a processing center in Florida to do this? I'm not concerned about the interview etc, since that probably won't happen for another year or so haha. My husband will still be here, so receiving mail won't be an issue. Thanks, I appreciate the help!
  13. Hi all, We are planning to travel Europe and I need a visa, my question is, when applying for the visa they seek proof of legal status within the USA, which I have but it is in my married name and my passport is in my maiden name. Does anyone have any tips on what to do in this situation? TIA
  14. As the title suggests. I've been researching online for a while now to no avail. I'm not sure if I should pay the Philippine travel tax of Php1,620 for my flight to Chicago. The ticket receipt only indicates a "taxes and fees" item for $91.07, no breakdown of these charges. Maybe someone out there has flown/knows EVA Air and could help me out. I don't want to make duplicate payments. Note: Flight was booked through a third party app called "Orbitz", not the airline site. I thought about calling the airline but I just thought it's unlikely they would have expertise in these local matters. Or is calling them the best option right now? Please enlighten me. If you could give me official links containing the answer I would greatly appreciate it. But any help is most welcome. P.S. I will be flying from Manila/NAIA Terminal 1. Am I correct in saying I don't have to pay the terminal fee? From what I know, this fee applies to airports outside Manila. Kindly confirm if you can. Thanks in advance!
  15. My wife just got her EAD + AP approved (received the I-797 approval notice, not the card yet). 🎉 When she originally applied (concurrently with her I-485), it was done with her old passport. Since then, she has renewed her passport. Will there be an issue with traveling / using her AP (and EAD I guess), with her new passport? Is it tied directly to that passport somehow, and should she be sure to update USCIS with her new passport information before attempting to use the card (especially when traveling abroad)? Or is it only a 'proof of eligibility' type of thing where, as long as you have the card, and a valid passport, they don't really care? Or should she just be sure to take her old passport along with her new passport, when traveling? I doubt she'll even have a chance to use the card as her I-485 interview is in less than a month, but we wanted to make sure there would be no issues just in case she needs to use the card for some reason.
  16. Hi, I don't know where to put this topic but I hope somebody knowledgeable can answer my question. Is it okay to travel using my green card and passport in my old name eventhough my SS and driver's license is in my new name? (I changed my SS and driver's license to my new name(newly married) but my passport and green card still has my old name. I will be filing my citizenship paperwork this year so just waiting for it to change my name in immigration). Thank you
  17. Hello all, My husband's grandmother is 93 and recently took a turn for the worse. We are scheduled to have our big family wedding in October (we had the official court wedding in March) and she was expected to attend. In the past few weeks, it has been decided that she cannot come and we are very worried for her health. We just had the biometrics appointment today (woo!) 6/24. Is there any way to expedite or get an emergency AP to go and see her in the next few months? I dont believe she has any actual health issues or doctors note - her health is just failing in general due to age. I was thinking we'd just make an appointment to request one and see what they say, but would like to be as prepared as possible. Please help! Thank you!
  18. My wife's green card expired a few months but received extension letter letter up to 18 months, yesterday she went for finger prints ( removal of conditions) , we are planning on traveling for about 2 weeks to colombia, will it be a problem when reentering united states? She is panicked she will be denied re entering us
  19. Its been about 2 years since I immigrated to the US as a permanent resident (spouse visa). I haven't visited my home country ever since. my parents are pretty old (in their later 60s/70s) and I wish to visit them for a couple months (3 months at least). How safe is it, especially with the kinda subtle changes in immigration since 2018? A few data points: I have been in the US without break for about 2 years; ever since I immigrated. I'll stay abroad for about 3 months with my wife and kid on the trip I plan for. I'll be paying for my US apartment as we don't want to lose it and we'll simply sublet it to some friend or family for 70-80% the the rent and absorb the remaining amount as a loss. I'll be working remotely with my US base company while abroad (i guess that adds to my 'still a resident' status?). My job in the US is work from home as well. So my questions are: Do I need to take or bring any important documentation that the immigration might check? I've read stays up to 6 months on green cards are safe but I don't really want to risk it after the recent atmosphere around immigration. Is 3 months a safe amount of time or it should be less? Essentially the air travel is pretty expensive for three people so I just want to kinda make up for it by spending extra days with my parents. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and how was your experience when coming back through immigration? Thank you.
  20. I'm currently on OPT and will file for STEM OPT within the next few days. My current EAD expires on February 04, 2019. It's very important for me to travel to India on February 10th. Since It's very unlikely that I would be receiving my new EAD before my travel, Would it be safe to travel and re-enter USA without EAD card? Can I use valid I-20, password, visa, EAD application receipts to re-enter? Also, would it be safe if I travel to India without EAD and then once received, my roommates send me the new EAD to India?
  21. Hi everybody, I have a problem and will try to explain my whole case in a few sentences, hoping someone will be able to help me: We applied for the 129f in March of 2018, I was admitted to the US on December 20th as a K1 Visa holder. My then fiancé and I got married on the 21st of February and applied for AOS (485) along with AP (131) and EAD (765) on March 1st. Two days ago I received an email stating, that the case was received on March 8th. We planned our wedding which will take place in Germany on July 6th of 2019 in the beginning of last year, booked our venue, florists, dj, cake, photo-/videographer and sent out our invites in the beginning of this year. Since it is a destination wedding we are expecting guests not just from America and Germany, but from all around the world. A lot of guests already booked their flights and also booked their hotels. Last night I checked, how long the processing times for the i131 are and I got stunned. The uscis website says it will take between 5-7 months. I have to be in Germany in 3 1/2 months. The wedding party costs approximately 30k and that just includes the costs me and my wife have. Would I be eligible for an expedited AP? Is this reason for an emergency, since I would take a severe financial damage of I can't make it to my own wedding? Should I just sit and wait and hope that my documents get to me on time? Thank you in advance everyone!
  22. Hello everyone. I am a current student on F1 here in USA. I finish my MS in May and my I-20 has been changed to show the last date as May 16, 2019. I will be coming back to the same school for PhD in Fall and the new I-20 starts from 3rd September, 2019. I want to travel to my home country over the summer and want to return in July which is a time that is not covered by either of my I-20s. My school says since I am a continuing student I will be allowed in the country without a signature on my PhD I-20. Has anyone here have any experience with this? Will I be allowed to come back in the US mid-July? Thanks for all the help.
  23. Hi there so I’m about to depart on Monday and I just want to ask if I need to pay the travel tax? I already have my receipt of my flight and there is already a paid travel tax there for the Philippines. So should I still pay it or not? Thanks for the replies!
  24. Hello Everyone! My husband and I filed our form I751 at the end of February 2019 to remove the conditions on my Greencard and I haven't yet received my biometrics notice. Has anyone else been waiting equally long? The California Service center is processing our application 😃 I also have a question regarding travel and would appreciate any insight that anyone has to offer 😃 We were planning a 2-3 month trip to Switzerland this summer, but are nervous about traveling since the biometrics notice could come at any time. For anyone who has already received their notice, what is the typical time span between receiving the notice and the actual appointment? We are thinking of going on the trip and taking the risk of having to fly back early in case we do receive the biometrics notice. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any insights to share? Thank you so much!!
  25. Hello , I am new to these forums I have been lurking for a few weeks and enjoy reading of everyone’s experiences and advice. I would love to hear people’s opinions on my situation. I arrived in the USA June 2015 on an ESTA visa from Ireland. Due to unforeseen circumstances I overstayed and married my wife who is a USC in June of 2018 we filed our papers and and I was granted a combo card. Me and and my wife plan on flying to my home country at the end of the month using my combo card. My question is will I have many issues for overstaying back a few years ago. I’m nervous to use it however my immigration lawyer says I should of no issues. id love to hear of people’s experiences using it . Thanks in advance
  • Create New...