Free Man

Divorce after get citizenship (Please read before judging)

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I got my citizenship last year in October through Marriage.  Last month i.got promoted and now make double what my wife makes. 

Unfortunately, my wife decided to leave her job and for the last few weeks, I have been paying all the bills and this is too much. I have complained but to no avail. 

Am grateful to my wife because I got citizenship through her but the truth is I cannot continue paying the bills 100%. 

Things are not looking good and am thinking of divorce.  This is a hard decision for me and I know she may feel that I used her for papers but that is not true. If she decide to get a job and help with the bills am ready to stay in the Marriage. 

My heart is bleeding as am writing this. We bought a house and bought 2 vehicles together. 

Things are not looking good. Should we be divorce,  I don't wanna around . Am a stronger believer in marriages. 

Should our marriage end, I wanna look for a wife to continue my life. However am not sure where on earth my next wife might come from.

My question is  should my new wife be out of status or outside of the US, am I eligible to petition for her since am already a US citizen without any issue? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The chance of that happening are not very high, so not something to worry about now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The only reason is She quit her job because according to her, she don't like the job. That's is okay. But the issue is I cannot continue paying all the bills, I told her to find a different job. 

Just to be clear, I have no issue if she tries to find a job, I understand it can take time, my issue is she not making any attempt at all.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Sam Burns said:

Yes you’re eligible but my god, this is pretty cold blooded. Sounds like you’ve got one foot out the door already. Why not work on your relationship issues?

I now work 7 days a week to pay our bills. I recommended seeing a therapist she refused. So yes am very frustrated 

2 hours ago, Free Man said:

my wife decided to leave her job and for the last few weeks

It’s  an unfortunate reality both in Senegal and here that most women earn less than men..nonetheless congratulations on your promotion. ..bringing in double what she was making still leaves you financially safe ...but your marriage is definitely in trouble. 

Maybe your wife feels secure enough to take a step back and look for work she enjoys . 

Maybe she feels that if you could take a month off and visit Senegal last year..she can take a month or two off. Did she go with you?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/25/my-wife-and-i-have-been-married-50-years-and-we-have-never-fought-about-money-once.html
My wife and I have been married 50 years, and we’ve never had a single fight about money—here’s our secret

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, you need to talk to your wife at a much deeper level than just look for another job. There could some underlining issue for all this. Maybe she's mentally fatigued, maybe is physically stressed and just needs a break, maybe she just doesn't want to work as you've said, etc. But you guys need to talk at more emotional level. Do you guys have kids together?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

How long has she been out of work?  Is she looking?  If she seems uninterested in working, I will be unlike the others and say your instincts may be right.  I have seen this problem before and there’s never a good outcome.  If it’s been a very short time, that’s one thing but if she seems to be fine letting you pay for everything, she may never look.  

As far as another wife-no one said being single is bad.  At least for a while.  I would just take of myself first and not worry about marrying until you have found someone you like.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.