Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About dnyal

  • Rank
  • Member # 265927
  • Location Longwood, FL, USA

Profile Information

  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    K-1 Visa
  • Place benefits filed at
    California Service Center
  • Country

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

1,049 profile views
  1. I’m glad it is all going well for you! They should’ve just scheduled an interview for you since you already have an N-400 pending. Now, you’ll get a green card that you’ll probably have to turn in in a few months when you become a citizen. Whatever lol
  2. The exact same happened to our removal of conditions case six weeks after I filed for naturalization. Someone else here also had a similar experience. I both our cases, the removal of conditions was sent to the NBC for processing. I haven't had any further updates since Dec. 14, which was when my I-751 was updated to reflect that it was sent to the NBC.
  3. I think some respondents might be complicating the issue too much. OP said that they were “registered.” I’m originally from Colombia, a country where there’s an agency called the National Registry. When you’re born at a hospital or clinic, the doctor who assisted your birth gives your mother what would be the actual birth certificate. It only lists your mother, not your father, since it is a medical document filled out by the doctor. They can only be sure who your mother is, so, medically, they can only list your mother; the doctor cannot assume who your father is because there isn’t medical evidence to attest to that. The parents then take the baby and the birth certificate to a National Registry office. There, the baby is issued a “civil registry of birth,” in which they list your mother as it is on your birth certificate. Your father can be ANYONE who shows up with the mother at that moment to claim you as his child. The civil registry is the legal document that gives you legal life under the law. Although I’m talking specifically about Colombia, this legal procedure is common across many countries in Latin America and elsewhere. The problem arises because your civil registry is not quite the same as an American birth certificate, but it is used as an equivalent during your immigration process. And that’s the key word here: they’re equivalent, but your civil registry is NOT the same as an American birth certificate. Civil registries can be easily and legally modified after birth, while that’s hard to do for an American birth certificate. I’ve heard of lots of cases when someone’s biological father or mother showed up years later, and they go along with their now adult child to amend their civil registry; no adoption or court procedures are necessary. In rural areas, where some people use midwives instead of going to the hospital to give birth, you can register your child simply by showing up to the registry office with two witnesses; no doctor’s birth certificate necessary, either. You can also use a baptismal certificate, which was much more common decades ago, when baptizing children was a much more important thing (in the Catholic tradition) than taking them to the registry office. Frankly, I was registered at age 5, after my father’s death. My mother used my baptismal certificate (I was baptized when I turned 1) with my father’s name on it. It was all completely legal, and I explained so when I went to the U.S. embassy in Bogota for my K visa. I had no issue whatsoever. Now, imagine trying to get a birth certificate here in America for a 5-year-old whose father died, but you still want the father listed on the birth certificate. With all this context explained, it doesn’t have to be the case that the OP’s father LIED and got a fraudulent “birth certificate.” He probably had his kids registered when they were already grown children, and both the father and the step mother both claimed to be OP’s parents. Legally, they ARE the OP’s parents, so OP didn’t necessarily LIE when they filed for naturalization; they had to list their mother as it was on their registry. Their “birth certificate” (probably just a civil registry) could be amended in their home country to register the biological mother. This is the result of different legal systems and customs, not necessarily of malice. However, USCIS and the U.S. government have no obligation to abide or understand the intricacies of foreign governments. So, I suggest the OP to get an immigration lawyer with experience in this sort of cases. They’ll have to tread carefully and fully explain the situation to USCIS in order to have a chance of success.
  4. We had the exact same experience! Filed our I-751 on Nov. 3, 2020, and it was sent to the YSC. I then filed my N-400 online exactly a year later on Nov. 2, 2021. I got a letter dated Dec. 14, 2021, saying that our I-751 was transferred to the NBC to "speed up processing." No updates ever since, and I am not sure what this means. I guess that, since we both filed our N-400 recently, it might have something to do with it. I did not send a copy of our I-751 receipt with the N-400. The online form simply didn't ask for a receipt of it, just for pictures of my green card. It didn't occur to me to send a copy of the I-751 NOA until a few days later, but it was too late. However, can't they see in the system that one has a pending I-751??? Finally, this is not true, and I'm from South America, not some fancy European country. I worked as a primary care physician there in our universal health care system for years. Appointments with me were often same- or next-day. The most someone would wait was 5 days, or they could choose another doctor in our practice who had sooner availability. Appointments with specialists were a few weeks or months out, depending on my judgement of the urgency of their condition. Same for elective procedures. All of that with an awful and corrupt government bureaucracy; I think America could do better. However, this is beside the topic of this forum.
  5. I just did. This topic has discussed ad nauseam here, and no one has ever had any problem by having done it (that I have been able to see in all the years following posts on this website). The good thing about filling online is that you can submit more evidence by simply uploading it to your case. Another positive in my case is that I got 2% cash back with my credit card 😁
  6. Well, refer to the latest exchange of comments on this thread. I was asking you that in the first place because I saw a lot of the first commenters were telling you to get an ITIN for your wife, add her to your bank accounts, and file taxes, etc., as they probably had the impression that your wife was already living with you in the U.S.
  7. I agree with you in that. OP did mess that up! He probably didn't know and his wife can claim that on the next interview. So, he should probably file an amended return, though. He should just go to his local tax office and have them do that for him just to make sure everything's done correctly and whether he can keep his dependents. One can claim dependents, even if you're married, if you pay for over half of the expenses of that person or if they are your children (as long as your ex won't claim them as dependents, too). Again, he should consult a tax pro.
  8. I was thinking that he could have filed as "married filing separately." It would've been a better option, and he could have still claimed dependents. But I think, for that, it is best that he contact a tax pro. Now, before I moved to America to live with my then-fiancé, he tried to add me to his employer insurance so I would be covered the moment I set foot in the country. They refused saying they can't cover a person who does not live in the U.S., even in he claimed cohabitation/marriage. We had to wait until I came here and got a SSN. It is not about taxes, but health insurance coverage. Now, for life insurance, that might be another story. I imagine it is hard to show financial commingling when they other person is still living overseas, if that's indeed the OP's case. He hasn't commented on that yet.
  9. Lemme see if I get this straight. He is talking about embassies and student visas being denied because of lack of ties (let alone a B visa), and the post shows it is about a spousal visa. Doesn't it mean that his wife still lives overseas? If that is the case, he cannot include her in his taxes as she is not a resident of the U.S. for tax purposes. You can't add a person who's not a resident and lives overseas as a dependent on any kind of insurance. Same goes for authorized users of credit cards. OP, is this your case?
  10. You’re right: if they gave you a specific address in the notice of rejection, then do as they say. Use USPS in that case to deliver your package to a P.O. Box. Now, it’s up to you if you want to add a signature request upon delivery. It is useful in case that something happens and they say they never received anything. We used signed delivery for this package and always have for all the packages we’ve ever sent them (K-1, AOS), and we haven’t seen any delays. It’s just the person who picks up the stuff from their P.O. Box signs off on it; I don’t see how might put a delay on your case. And when I called earlier today to USCIS asking about my case (filed in early November but had not gotten any sort of notice), the agent asked me twice what I meant with "delivered." I explained to him that I had sent our package via certified mail and I had signed proof that they received it. Then he went on their system and looked up our case.
  11. You can use FedEx and UPS to send your package. The USCIS website gives you a different address should you choose private companies (those can’t deliver to "Post Office boxes"). Just use a two-day delivery method, and don’t forget to use certified mail with signature request. But I agree with everyone: USPS has lost three of my Amazon purchases just in the last week, so you might be better off using a private service. Those poor USPS people are seriously understaffed and underfunded to handle the December surge.
  12. If they give you a receipt number, does it not mean your application was filed correctly? I put “N/A” EVERYWHERE in our application. Each blank space has one. I became obsessed with it after reading about the people who had their apps rejected because they left blank space which didn’t apply to them. Yet just today we got our receipt number, and they said our check will be cashed.
  13. An update for you all November filers! I just hung up with an USCIS agent and our petition was processed last Friday (Dec. 11, 2020), but our check hasn’t been cashed (it’ll probably take a few days because banks, I guess). They received our application on Nov. 4, 2020, so it took them around 37 days to process. From what I read from all of you, it’s taking around 5-6 weeks for them to process apps at this point, and it’ll probably be a few more days after that to receive the NOAs.
  14. I’m lucky the lady at our local DMV got confused or something. I had read everywhere online that they give you a driver’s license that is valid up to the expiration date on your green card. However, when I got my DL, it came out with an expiration date 10 years from the issuing date. Maybe she didn’t know how to handle it as I live in a rural area in central Florida, and they might not get a lot of conditional green cards. Hopefully, this won’t cause any issues, although I don’t know if I should renew my DL once I become a citizen. Does anyone know if you need to get a new DL when you become a citizen or they remove your conditions?
  15. I'm relieved to know I am not alone in this 😪 I was about to call USCIS because our package was received on Nov. 4, and we haven't received any texts or NOA, and the check hasn't been cashed yet (to this day, Dec. 3). Guess I'll give it a couple more weeks.
  • Create New...