JoJoJoJo

Bringing in parents and me being in closet

17 posts in this topic

Hello

I obtained citizenship through marriage. (I was an international student and am employed now.) Is there any possibility to keep my parents in the dark about my marriage while bringing them here?

I fear that the interview would be mission impossible. Would a lawyer be useful? Would me joining their interview be useful? They don't understand English.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

5 years and your parents haven't sniffed that you're married? Hard to belive this or you must be good at burying stuff.

And should your parents obtain visas without knowing about the marriage, how will you juggle your living arrangements? Is your spouse going to leave the house the whole time your parents are around? 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, JoJoJoJo said:

Hello

I obtained citizenship through marriage. (I was an international student and am employed now.) Is there any possibility to keep my parents in the dark about my marriage while bringing them here?

I fear that the interview would be mission impossible. Would a lawyer be useful? Would me joining their interview be useful? They don't understand English.

An attorney would be of no benefit.  I don't think there is any way to ensure they won't find out.  I think you're walking a tightrope.  Good luck. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

The officer might want to ask them about your relationship and there is obviously nothing that an attorney can do if/when this happens.

But additionally, if they do indeed come, is your spouse leaving when they visit you? And most importantly is your spouse ok with this?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

The CO will either ask in local language or have a translator so don't worry about them not speaking english. Questions like what's your son doing there? How did he get the GC/citizenship? are normal.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Assuming you live with your wife and you’ve being filing your taxes as married (either joint or seperate) what happens when your parents upload proof of income? Or household members? You don’t think they’ll ask questions then?

What about when they go for their interviews? You don’t plan on giving them copies of this info to take with them?

how does your wife feel about you hiding her existence from your parents? 

honesty is the best policy.. time to come clean and inform them that your married 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Do you file joint tax return returns with your spouse? If so, your parents will have access to the tax returns as part of the visa process (I-864).  

4 hours ago, JoJoJoJo said:

Hello

Do you mean that it was a marriage done for the sole purpose of immigration, rather than a relationship?

I don't believe you would be allowed to attend the interview.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Whatever reasons you have to keep your marriage a secret from your parents; be it cultural or societal or fear or fraud, etc etc, you'll be doing your parents a disservice by not letting them know if you want to sponsor them. They'll need all the relevant facts in order navigate the consular processing and interviews smoothly and get not tripped up the CO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JoJoJoJo said:

Thank you all for your replies. The reason for not coming out to them is that gays are not culturally acceptable in their world but are acceptable to the US government.

I’m in the minority here and so  think your reasons for not disclosing your marriage are not relevant to your question.  Are you filing joint tax returns with your spouse?

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m in the minority here and so  think your reasons for not disclosing your marriage are not relevant to your question.  Are you filing joint tax returns with your spouse?

Yes, joint returns.

Would my W2 not be enough for 864?

I was hoping to do all the paperwork so that my parents won't see any of it.

Edited by JoJoJoJo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Us lawyer  who knows immigration laws?  u can pay the price for one to travel and advise your parents? you want a lawyer to expose the relationship because u can't

if the embassy allowed a lawyer into interview,  he /she is not allowed to answer questions

• Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions.

Talking as a parent

U need to let them know as its important to the relationship u have with them

and to the relationship with your spouse

they will see all when they come / even your  daily friends will give you away

you can not just "not hide your marriage"

you   can not just "hurt your spouse in this way"

Tell them

then it will be up to them if they want to accept the marriage and come to stay with u

or refuse to acknowledge and stay in their home country

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.