Balamban

An unhappy ending to a marriage

113 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, Jorgedig said:

I get tired reading story after story here on VJ, written by American men....   as if the women they bring over are commodities.   

it works both ways.

American men see foreign women as commodities 

Foreign women see American men as ATM's, means to an end (better life), and look to dump them as soon as they are legal and want to move to a higher tax bracket

This idea of marrying not just the person, but the whole family, is a concept that you hear for the Latino culture also.  I dealt with it before marriage.  My wife's family doesn't demand or expect any kind of regular payments because I discussed it with my wife before we got married.  It was a deal breaker for me.  I make good money but I was not going to support my deadbeat brothers in law or stepfather.  I had plans for us.  Yet, we do get occasional requests for money if something happens, but it's been about 15-20 times over 13 years of marriage. And we send for Christmas and birthdays but I will never allow myself to be seen as somebody's ATM, my wife or her family.

But the Philippines seem to take that concept 10 levels higher when they start talking about honor and "saving face".  The mistake you made was that you initially agreed to support the family, but you didn't stick to the agreed amount.  Once you gave in to more and more, you should have known that that was only the beginning.  They will never be satisfied.  $60k farm?  That's probably 4 or 5 farms for that price.

And the fact that your wife is not adult enough to say no to her family should tell you something else about your relationship.  She's not all-in.  Divorce and move on.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

And the fact that your wife is not adult enough to say no to her family should tell you something else about your relationship.  She's not all-in.  Divorce and move on.  

The thing that struck me about the decision of OP’s wife’s family to order her to separate from her husband (OP) is what is the rationale / end game here?

OP is working and presumably paying most if not all of the bills. Now the wife is living separately and will have new bills to pay.  Doesn’t seem financially sensible for the wife or her family.  

Is the thinking that there will be a divorce and a big pay day from an asset split and alimony? Sorry folks but the wife and OP haven’t  been married long enough for there to a windfall for her. Or for that matter, a windfall for OP (given she works 88 hours a week, presumably grossing $8K a month … serious coin).  

Apparently OP’s wife’s family are unaware of how social security works, meaning that if she stays married for 10 years, her minimum social security benefit when she reaches retirement age will be 50 percent of OP’s. Granted she is in her 20s to early 30s still and won’t see this for 30 years but still. Sure her own earnings record might make this moot but I doubt she can sustain 88 hours of work per week for 30 years.  

So I am mystified by the command her family gave her.  Unless there is another ATM machine in the pipeline (and OP and the wife deny there is another romantic partner in the mix for the wife), financially this — supposedly financially  driven — decision makes zero sense.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The thing that struck me about the decision of OP’s wife’s family to order her to separate from her husband (OP) is what is the rationale / end game here?

OP is working and presumably paying most if not all of the bills. Now the wife is living separately and will have new bills to pay.  Doesn’t seem financially sensible for the wife or her family.  

Is the thinking that there will be a divorce and a big pay day from an asset split and alimony? Sorry folks but the wife and OP haven’t  been married long enough for there to a windfall for her. Or for that matter, a windfall for OP (given she works 88 hours a week, presumably grossing $8K a month … serious coin).  

Apparently OP’s wife’s family are unaware of how social security works, meaning that if she stays married for 10 years, her minimum social security benefit when she reaches retirement age will be 50 percent of OP’s. Granted she is in her 20s to early 30s still and won’t see this for 30 years but still. Sure her own earnings record might make this moot but I doubt she can sustain 88 hours of work per week for 30 years.  

So I am mystified by the command her family gave her.  Unless there is another ATM machine in the pipeline (and OP and the wife deny there is another romantic partner in the mix for the wife), financially this — supposedly financially  driven — decision makes zero sense.  

She is not on here and we can only speculate. Perhaps she does think she is in for a big pay day she has the I 864 potential. No way of knowing what her plans are.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I was not gonna type this. 

I just came across a post of a USC who married a foreigner and brought partner on CR-1. Partner came in, stayed 4 days and was soon out. 4 months later since arrival, partner is in the US Army. Why? I guess she already had this planned and knew that she will get fast-track to citizenship through army. All she needed was to get someone to bring her on CR-1/ IR-1. She never loved the poor guy. She knew the system better. I am sure she changed the address for GC delivery at POE. 

This was a new one for me. I was shocked. 

I suspect she started this Army application while abroad because she was able to join within her first 4 months in the US. I am sure basic training is like 2 months, at the very least. You never know whom you marry, foreigner or not. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, Balamban said:

My mistake, six years ago, was that I had told her that my “dream” was to have a mango farm on Bohol.  That dream and FaceBook has ended my marriage.  Of course, there’s more to that.  I’m an RN and ran into a situation at work where a nurse filed a complaint with the Board of Nursing, well, not “a” complaint, rather it was over 40 complaints.

The Board of Nursing turned it over to my state’s Attorney General’s Investigative Department (police) and the investigation took over two years.  For those two years, I was unable to work as an RN.  The outcome, not that long ago, all dismissed.  Innocent.  But here I was with no income for two years, and that’s equal to about 10 million pesos that I did not have.

Well, it seemed that long ago my soon to be ex-wife told the family about my dream farm.  It is clear that the family, extended family, neighborhood, compadres and all those in the town started waiting for the daughter who married the (rich) American to buy the farm.  But, nobody, and not my wife ever told me that they were waiting for “the farm.”  This expectation was never voiced, I had no clue that one hundred people were waiting for the happy announcement: “daughter has a mango farm for the family.”

Year one of our marriage, great, everybody was happy.  Year two, odd family demands, unsettling demands for more and more peso.  Originally, we sent 4k peso, then 6, 8, 10, then Covid hit and I sent 20k @ month, to help the siblings out—but nobody ever seemed happy.

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Has OP been working the past two years? It appears he lost his job. I'm not sure if that means he has to get a lower paying job OR his wife was the one supporting them. 

*** Several posts removed for hijacking. Please do not hijack other members threads with side convos.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Given that everybody loses in this scenario, it can only be the result of the wife not being honest with anyone, even herself.  Certainly she was in touch with her family, and was aware of what they were doing. She certainly didn't make her husband aware of this, and when it blows up in her face, she has no choice but to cut an run.  Frankly, as others have said, it would have never gotten better, only worse.  As for the old man young wife thing, everything is a negotiation.  Everybody is in it for something.  I'm 74, my wife is 33. She'll get everything when I die, but she seems to be enjoying the heck out of me being alive.  If she's faking, she should get an oscar.  I can't remember ever giving her or her family a centavo.  Not one.  They never asked. There are good ones out there, and with Filipinas, I think they like older men because they get what they need from them.  Emotional and financial security. Love and faithfulness.  Many Filipinos are married and have a girlfriend on the side.  I imagine the wives know it but are powerless to do anything about it that would make the life a mess. That's how it is here. They know that. IMHO.

Filed: Other Timeline
On 11/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Balamban said:

I told my then fiancée, I wanted to have a mango farm on Bohol. 

Foreigners can't legally purchase or own land in the Philippines.  The "best" you can do is give them the money to buy their mango farm and then hope that you remain in the picture.

Thankfully my wife's extended Philippine family never asks for anything.  We contribute very occasionally to help with major events, e.g. funerals, but they've never asked.

Of the 3 adult step-children still there, two are in college (one in grad school) and progressing well.  It's a lot cheaper to put them through school there than here.

The 3rd one is becoming a bit of a bum, dropped out of college and is now trying to finagle his way to Canada on a student visa that is likely fraudulent.  I refused to be involved any further when I heard the details of what they were doing.  We should find out shortly if he will be studying in Canada, or if his visa application has been rejected with a ban on re-applying.  :D

1 hour ago, notantifun said:

I'm Filipina married to an American citizen. I will be naturalized before the end of this year. Fingers crossed. 

I hate how the OP seems to suggest that he has been an unsuspecting victim to this "Filipina culture". He knew this was coming. I'm not suggesting that he was not taken advantaged at all. As much as I hate being lumped with these Filipinas who take advantage of American men, marrying for green card/citizenship, I'll be naive to deny the overwhelming amount of cases like OPs. I effing hate the stereotype but they exist and will continue to exist, because reasons. BUT let's not also ignore that plenty of these American men marrying Filipinas have the upper hand in what is basically a financial transaction (Yeah, marriage is mainly a financial transaction. Fight me! LOL). No one held a gun to their heads demanding they remain ignorant of the downside of marrying someone from a 3rd world country. If you ever felt like you were taken advantaged of because the wife's family kept demanding money and you couldn't say no, that's not exactly a wife problem. Maybe grow a spine.

To any American men wanting to marry a Filipina, you cannot change the culture. BUT for the love of all that is holy, invest time to know the woman and her family. Also, IMO, not having a job is 1 giant red flag. An adult woman should have a job. If she insists on supporting her family, let her do so with her own money. And remember, NO is a complete sentence.

Amen sister!  At the end of the day they are both adults.  Both have risk that they are taking so if it all goes down to , I would blame both of them.  I’m 44 Filipino and just filed an I129F to bring my fiancé here.  My fiancé is only 26 and very beautiful.  I did my research and her family although not rich are well off to support themselves.  Also family never once in our two years ask for money or talk about financial support.  All they want is I take good care of her.  I never sent money to my fiancé nor she ever asked me for money.  That would turn me off of course and I told her that from the very beginning.  In fact she probably spent more in gifts than me.  Not bragging I’m just saying be aware of little things that can give you hints if she loves you or she’s in for that green card or money.  I’m not saying we’ll workout, but I’m sure she’s in it for the long run. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

How would you do this though? (I mean, putting aside the generalizations about people from the Philippines.) It's generally good advice that people should really know each other before getting married, and ideally before even agreeing to get married. The stories I see on here where there's a scam (as opposed to just a relationship that doesn't turn out to be as great as the spouses expected) seem to have a common theme where people led with their hearts and not their heads, dismissed red flags, rushed things or forced things, and assumed that love was going to be enough. Love isn't enough, even without red flags. 

Something to bear in mind is that historically and in a large area of the world currently marriage is more transactional, obviously exceptions both ways.

There is a reason that the largest number of K1's are processed through PI, from what I can gather there is nowhere close, and most we see here anyway seem to have very little time together,  now we can make assumptions as to why that is but there is little doubt that is how it is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Several derailing posts removed, including posts containing TOS violations. Please remember that it is against the TOS to:

• Post Content intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a broad demographic or group of people identified by a unifying trait or characteristic (discrimination). For instance, racist or sexist content may be considered hate speech.

If it happens again, administrative action will be taken.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.