lovingbravely2991

Will my symbolic ceremony affect K1 application in any way?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My partner and i are considering a symbolic ceremony in my country this summer, it has been a long and difficult journey for us as we have had to cancel several trips due to Covid and have not seen each other since July 2019 (she's a single mom raising 3 kids on her own and i do not have a visitor's visa to visit her in the US). We submitted the K1 petition at the end of December 2020 and it was delivered early January, we had the intention to just have a wedding when the visa is approved (which we will still have to do, but maybe with just us and the kids instead of the wedding she really wanted) but life has thrown so much ####### at us in just the past month, 2nd week of January she had a psychotic break and was taken to a mental hospital, she ended up being there for 2 weeks i had to use her last know location on google to find where she was and what was happening as her family did not even notice anything was wrong or tried to help her when i got her to call 911, she kept asking for me and so the doctors thought i was a split personality of hers, no family member went with her and so they just made assumptions and locked her away. More than anything else we just need to make the commitment to each other,  that desire is greater than getting approved, greater than finally being together, though both of these right now would be amazing but the very real fact is that we have a long road ahead of us and so we need to take that step so it can be something we can hold on to until we can be together. Same sex marriages are not legal in my country, hence the decision on just a symbolic ceremony.  *Side note, would her current situation with the psychotic break be sufficient to put in an expedite request?  We can manage taking care of her financially but now that she has been out of the hospital, she is still fragile and could use the help to take care of both her and the children.

An expedite is unlikely to be approved. What you are proposing could be construed as work. And you won’t have work authorization until many months after the marriage ceremony in the US and the filing of the relevant paperwork. 

Also, she needs professional help. Whilst your intentions are obviously out of love and compassion, and that is to be applauded, the US has adequate provisions for even the most severe mental health conditions. 

Don’t have the ceremony. It will muddy the waters too much as to whether you are married or not. Keep it clean and simple and have no ceremony until the wedding here in the US. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JFH said:

An expedite is unlikely to be approved. What you are proposing could be construed as work. And you won’t have work authorization until many months after the marriage ceremony in the US and the filing of the relevant paperwork. 

Also, she needs professional help. Whilst your intentions are obviously out of love and compassion, and that is to be applauded, the US has adequate provisions for even the most severe mental health conditions. 

Don’t have the ceremony. It will muddy the waters too much as to whether you are married or not. Keep it clean and simple and have no ceremony until the wedding here in the US. 

Thank you, she is still getting out patient help.  

6 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Perhaps consider thinking deeply about the ramifications of this.

It's unclear how a consular officer would deal with this knowledge.

It is clear that "being too married for a K-1 and not married enough for a CR-1" is a risk taken and dilemma that many have faced.  A great many threads on this exact topic, chiefly regarding African approaches, have been posted and discussed.

Thank you 

Sorry that your fiancé is going through this and for the strain it's putting on everyone involved, including yourself.

I believe there are other ways to show your commitment, apart from a symbolic ceremony that could possibly complicate your fiancé visa application and lead to more heartache later on.

It's not a guarantee that your fiancé's condition will justify an expedite, but there is no harm in trying.

Side note, I just googled that under Jamaican law couples must be legally married prior to having a symbolic ceremony... and that you must provide proof of marriage prior to the ceremony...

so I don’t think you could do this even if you wanted too, irrespective of the possible negative impacts it would have on your k1 application 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Sounds like the best thing would be to do the ceremony, and have her petition you for a CR-1.  Better chance at getting an interview also.

12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Sounds like the best thing would be to do the ceremony, and have her petition you for a CR-1.  Better chance at getting an interview also.

But then they would have to find a third country that allows same sex marriage, where they could both visit in order to do the legal marriage for a CR-1.

I kind of wonder if a same sex commitment ceremony would hold the same risks in a country without legal same sex marriage, but I wouldn't recommend trying it out to see. 

Edited by green_rabbit

3 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

Side note, I just googled that under Jamaican law couples must be legally married prior to having a symbolic ceremony... and that you must provide proof of marriage prior to the ceremony...

so I don’t think you could do this even if you wanted too, irrespective of the possible negative impacts it would have on your k1 application 

What you google about Jamaican law and reality are two different things.....  That being said, I would not have a symbolic ceremony if pursuing a K1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She needs to be your sponsor and of course it will be a long time before you will be work authorised.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 2/22/2021 at 11:34 AM, TBoneTX said:

Perhaps consider thinking deeply about the ramifications of this.

It's unclear how a consular officer would deal with this knowledge.

It is clear that "being too married for a K-1 and not married enough for a CR-1" is a risk taken and dilemma that many have faced.  A great many threads on this exact topic, chiefly regarding African approaches, have been posted and discussed.

It is a ridiculous shame that federal governments have so much control over how, who and when foreigners marry!

--------

May 29, 2020 - Began preparing i129-F and supporting documents for K1 petition
July 13, 2020 - Sent i129-F packet to Texas lockbox

July 24, 2020 - Check cashed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, clintwestwood said:

It is a ridiculous shame that federal governments have so much control over how, who and when foreigners marry!

US gov have no control over marriage. 

Immigration has rules that must be followed.  If trying to immigrate as a fiance, then people must remain unmarried.  Otherwise they will not be "fiance's".  

People can decide to marry and when and how they want.  To immigrate, they would then file for a spouse visa after marriage.  

The US fed gov has no say or jurisdiction regarding foreign governments that do not permit same sex marriage.

The OP has a choice to continue with the K1 or attempt to get a tourist visa to go to the US, get married, return to Jamaica and start over with a CR1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.