Simon11221

Instant marriage after divorce.

103 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Wonder if be means remarried?

Perhaps wife could explain time line.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

So many things going on here. 

Is your wife of Pakistani origin? What about her ex-husband? Did he gain immigration benefit through her or was he already a USC when she married him? If he gained immigration benefit through her and is not yet a citizen himself do you realise she is still responsible for him on the I-864? Is it common in your culture to enter into a relationship with a married woman? Is it common in your culture to marry a divorcee who has children already? What is she doing about her financial situation (you mentioned before she is on welfare)? 

You say she divorced him because he was cheating on her - but she married you 10 days after the divorce. How long was your relationship with her before you married? Have you applied for a visa before?

You also are likely to be in AP for a considerable period of time. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Simon11221 said:

I have a question about my marriage. My wife got divorced and remarried me again within 10 days will it be fine at interview? We are just waiting for interview now. We have been married since one and half year and we already have one baby together. 

I think you can expect some scrutiny and questions.  A Consulate Officer will have the discretion to ask a lot of questions such as how you met, why marry so quickly after the divorce, religious differences, age differences, how much time have you been together, your wife's financial situation, etc.  It all will be considered.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Simon11221 said:

What you guys talking about? This is my first marriage but my wife’s second marriage. She got divorced from her ex because he was cheating on her and she wanted to be with me. 
why would lie about anything. Everything is crystal clear.

This was not clear, so apologies.  So as I understand it now, a year and a half ago your wife's first marriage ended in a legal divorce, and then 10 days later the two of you got married?  Then I don't see an I130 issue, but there could be questions.  Be prepared to answer about your relationship history if asked.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I I understand you clearly, you mean your wife divorced another man and married you after the divorce was complete in 10 days? if this is so, i dont think there should be any issue with it provided you both entered into the marriage in good accord. Divorce in mast countries take time and most people move on to other relationships before the governing body declares divorce..but you must be divorced officially before you marry again which is what your wife did.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Gotta ask, does the petition ask if the USC (or the wife in this case) is married at the time and if they are, they can't bring someone else in?

If the wife was on a pending divorce at the time while staying with the guy, does these 2 couple have things to prove for bonafide marriage?

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 hours ago, Simon11221 said:

I have a question about my marriage. My wife got divorced and remarried me again within 10 days will it be fine at interview? We are just waiting for interview now. We have been married since one and half year and we already have one baby together. 

I think the problem here is the term "remarried me again".

OP,  that phrase is usually understood as marrying the same person again.

If, as I suspect, you are trying to convey that your wife divorced her ex-husband and married you - that is, you were not her previous husband - then the correct wording would be: 

"My wife married me within 10 days of her divorce from her previous husband."

If this is the case, then it would be questioned by the CO, but is not insurmountable.  Especially if, in your case, your wife was separated for a long time from her previous husband and was just waiting for the final divorce decree.

Edit: clarification

Edited by SteveInBostonI130
typo, clarity

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
4 minutes ago, JFH said:

Normally I would agree. But in this case the OP said the divorce took 5 months. And she remarried 10 days later. Either they had a very short relationship (less than 5 months and 10 days) or they were in a relationship whilst she was still married - which is rich considering she filed for divorce based on her first husband’s adultery. Five months is not long for a divorce. In the UK we have no option of “no fault” divorce, one party must be at fault. The exception is the two-year separation rule (if you have bern living apart for two years with completely separate lives, no shared bank accounts etc anymore then you can divorce without having to prove fault). As such, divorces in the UK can take a long time. I was still legally married when I met my current husband but had been living apart from my first husband for over a year. It was another 1.5 years after we met that my divorce was finalized. In such cases I can understand a quick marriage after a divorce. But not when the divorce only took 5 months. 

I don think it matters in texas where I live, you cannot marry 30 days after your divorce is official...the divorce its self takes 60-90 days.  The question remains, where does the wife's ex husband live?...were they living together in the states before the divorce or was it a long distance marriage like the new one she just contracted. Answers to those questions brings intentions to light. Another thing you should consider is religion...in their country and religion...courtship is short or non existing...they meet and marry thats it

Edited by Sparkle Sparkle

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I mean, other than length of divorce there are issues with immigration that OP hasn't clarified:

- Was the wife petitioned by her ex? - there might be issues considering how quickly she moved on.

- Did she petition the ex? - there might be issues with the I-864 (especially considering she's already on welfare).

Other than those issues, expect scrutiny because you're from Pakistan. Is the wife Pakistani? Is the ex? Did you marry in Pakistan?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

I don think it matters in texas where I live, you cannot marry 30 days after your divorce is official...the divorce its self takes 60-90 days.  The question remains, where does the wife's ex husband live?...were they living together in the states before the divorce or was it a long distance marriage like the new one she just contracted. Answers to those questions brings intentions to light

Let me make you clear that my wife and her ex were living separately for 2 year. When we met she was legally married with him but living separately and they both wanted to get divorced because they both wanted to get remarry again. By the time they filed for divorce we were 3 month in relationship. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Luckycuds said:

Yeah, getting married 10 days post divorce may surprisingly be the least of their concerns.

First tell me is your wife a USC and of Pakistani origin? Who’s the beneficiary? 

Timeline
Just now, Lexushim said:

First tell me is your wife a USC and of Pakistani origin? Who’s the beneficiary? 

She’s not a pakistani. She’s American origin. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.