kshoemoney

Has anyone used WebWed Mobile for getting married for their CR-1/IR-1?

71 posts in this topic

I came across this service last night called WebWed Mobile that offers 100% legal marriages online and given that my boyfriend are not able to see each other right now because of COVID (I am in NYC and he is in Italy), but we want to get married, I thought that if this is legit it would be a lifesaver. I am skeptical because I haven't heard much about it, but they have been operational since 2016 and they do not do proxy marriages, but instead specialize in cyber jurisdiction and you get a traditional marriage certificate. They say they do not offer immigration legal advice, as immigration approval is more complicated than just being married, but that customers of theirs have used marriage licenses through WebWed to get spousal visas.

I am wondering if anyone has used this service and can speak to whether it is acceptable to use for immigration purposes? I would think if it was legit that everyone would be raving about it, but it seems like no one has heard of it. Conversely, if it was a scam I would expect to find people saying that loudly as well, but there isn't really. There are many positive reviews on reviews.io but I would love to find someone that could speak to its legitimacy for immigration purposes. I don't want to do it if it will mean USCIS doesn't look at our marriage as legitimate, but if it does work, then it would be a no brainer to do, since we could get our petition rolling now, since the travel restrictions are likely to be in place for many months in the future anyway. Also, if we were married, they would let him in to visit during covid because they allow in Spouses of U.S. citizens, I believe.

Thanks for your help!

2 minutes ago, Miriamc said:

From what I understand, this won’t work. Your marriage has to have ‘ consummation’. . 

1 minute ago, designguy said:

For immigration purposes the marriage must be "consummated" to be considered legal. Having a zoom wedding and then filing for an immigration petition would not work without seeing each other

Sorry, but what does consummation mean in legal terms?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-2

Consummation means sleeping together 

and in the above site it says 

The applicant must establish validity of his or her marriage. In general, the legal validity of a marriage is determined by the law of the place where the marriage was celebrated (“place-of-celebration rule”). Under this rule, a marriage is valid for immigration purposes in cases where the marriage is valid under the law of the jurisdiction in which it is performed. [1] 

So, the only place such a marriage is valid is online since there is "no place that it was celebrated except online"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, kshoemoney said:

Sorry, but what does consummation mean in legal terms?

I’m not sure the exact legal term, but the closet word I would pin It to ‘ have sexual relations’.

51 minutes ago, kshoemoney said:

I came across this service last night called WebWed Mobile that offers 100% legal marriages online and given that my boyfriend are not able to see each other right now because of COVID (I am in NYC and he is in Italy), but we want to get married, I thought that if this is legit it would be a lifesaver. I am skeptical because I haven't heard much about it, but they have been operational since 2016 and they do not do proxy marriages, but instead specialize in cyber jurisdiction and you get a traditional marriage certificate. They say they do not offer immigration legal advice, as immigration approval is more complicated than just being married, but that customers of theirs have used marriage licenses through WebWed to get spousal visas.

I am wondering if anyone has used this service and can speak to whether it is acceptable to use for immigration purposes? I would think if it was legit that everyone would be raving about it, but it seems like no one has heard of it. Conversely, if it was a scam I would expect to find people saying that loudly as well, but there isn't really. There are many positive reviews on reviews.io but I would love to find someone that could speak to its legitimacy for immigration purposes. I don't want to do it if it will mean USCIS doesn't look at our marriage as legitimate, but if it does work, then it would be a no brainer to do, since we could get our petition rolling now, since the travel restrictions are likely to be in place for many months in the future anyway. Also, if we were married, they would let him in to visit during covid because they allow in Spouses of U.S. citizens, I believe.

Thanks for your help!

You need to travel and do it the right way, otherwise you will regret later when dealing with immigration.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

31 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

In USCIS terms it basically means you were both physically present at some point after the ceremony.  I think legally it means you had marital relations, but I don’t think USCIS probes that level of detail.  As to the online marriage thing, I believe USCIS would treat this in a similar manner as a proxy marriage even though it is not exactly the same thing since both spouses will be present online, therefore I agree with the other posters above, if you take this route, you would at some point have to be physically present together before any visa would be approved.

So, if we were to use it get married, and then find a way to meet up and “consummate” the marriage, wouldn’t that fulfill the USCIS requirement?

29 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

You can not get together now because of covid?   Have you even met in person?

and no,  if this was legal for immigration ,  all of us would have saved a lot of money in traveling and done this 

Thanks for your concern. Yes, we lived together last year when he was here on a J1 and have visited each other many times since, pre-covid. I appreciate that everyone would be using it if it worked but it didn’t appear that people have ever heard of it (again this isn’t legally a proxy marriage) so I was curious. Also while everyone is saying ‘don’t risk it!’, which I tend to agree with, I am curious if anyone actually knows definitively, any examples of this working/not working since it appears these are legal marriages and the licenses are issued by courts in the United States, so is worth at least looking into.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The question is not if it would be a legal marriage in the US the question is would it be valid for immigration purposes. Even with a valid marriage certificate if you can't prove the two of you were in the same place at the same time at some point during or after the marriage your petition will be denied. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, kshoemoney said:

So, if we were to use it get married, and then find a way to meet up and “consummate” the marriage, wouldn’t that fulfill the USCIS requirement?

I am curious if anyone actually knows definitively, any examples of this working/not working since it appears these are legal marriages and the licenses are issued by courts in the United States, so is worth at least looking into.

1.  Yes

2.  No examples needed, the USCIS has specific guidance on this.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, kshoemoney said:

Thanks for your help!

I, too, have seen this floating around on the Love is Not Tourism groups I'm in.

I think the reason most people are using it is to travel to the EU countries that have opened up the borders to couples. People in the groups seem to think if they show the WebWed marriage certificate, the border officers will let them pass no questions, since it's a "legal" marriage.

I also think something seems too good to be true. It seems to me like a way to capitalize on what people want right now - to be reunited with their loves. 

Edited by Strawberrymermaid

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
15 minutes ago, kshoemoney said:

Often, this is a route that will lead to delays and headaches.

You have to meet to consummate the marriage, so you might as well get marry when you're both together.

Do this the normal way and make it simple.

Do it the creative way with a proxy marriage and you'll gonna regret all the difficulties.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.