kshoemoney

Has anyone used WebWed Mobile for getting married for their CR-1/IR-1?

71 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

he an Italian citizen? If so, as soon as the bans are over have him come here on the VWP and get a quickie wedding in Vegas - @Loren Y can help with that, file the I-130, enjoy a vacation together and he goes back to Italy to wait for the process to be complete. Simple. Why make a stressful process any more difficult than it needs to be. 

Feel free to message me anytime. Can get you married and a marriage certificate in hand in less than a hour.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

2 hours ago, kshoemoney said:

Well, we could do this marriage online, then meet up somewhere and consummate it. That would be pretty expensive for sure, but probably quicker than waiting until travel bans are over, which no one knows how long that will be but my guess is at least through the rest of this year, and maybe as long as the middle of next year.

This will not be 'quicker' than getting married in person, since you cannot file a petition until after that, anyway.

And since a proxy marriage with subsequent consummation and petition filing is likely to be fraught with issues for USCIS, it may in fact lengthen the overall time for the immigration process. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 7/27/2020 at 1:37 PM, kshoemoney said:

I came across this service last night called WebWed Mobile that offers 100% legal marriages online and given that my boyfriend are not able to see each other right now because of COVID (I am in NYC and he is in Italy), but we want to get married, I thought that if this is legit it would be a lifesaver. I am skeptical because I haven't heard much about it, but they have been operational since 2016 and they do not do proxy marriages, but instead specialize in cyber jurisdiction and you get a traditional marriage certificate. They say they do not offer immigration legal advice, as immigration approval is more complicated than just being married, but that customers of theirs have used marriage licenses through WebWed to get spousal visas.

I am wondering if anyone has used this service and can speak to whether it is acceptable to use for immigration purposes? I would think if it was legit that everyone would be raving about it, but it seems like no one has heard of it. Conversely, if it was a scam I would expect to find people saying that loudly as well, but there isn't really. There are many positive reviews on reviews.io but I would love to find someone that could speak to its legitimacy for immigration purposes. I don't want to do it if it will mean USCIS doesn't look at our marriage as legitimate, but if it does work, then it would be a no brainer to do, since we could get our petition rolling now, since the travel restrictions are likely to be in place for many months in the future anyway. Also, if we were married, they would let him in to visit during covid because they allow in Spouses of U.S. citizens, I believe.

Thanks for your help!

@kshoemoney did you find out more information about this? I still can’t quite wrap my head around how it works- even the marriage certificate is the same as it would be if it were in person in Utah 

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

1 hour ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

@kshoemoney did you find out more information about this? I still can’t quite wrap my head around how it works- even the marriage certificate is the same as it would be if it were in person in Utah 

From what I can gather, it is a legit wedding, but for the purposes of immigration, you would have to find a way to consummate it before filing the petition, as the USCIS would view it the same way they view proxy marriages, even though legally speaking it is a traditional marriage and your marriage certificate would look the same as one that is issued when you get married in person. Most of the licenses that come as a result of getting married with this company, are coming out of Utah County, Utah or Washington D.C., as I guess those are jurisdicitons that have pretty open marriage laws. Also people have said that you could bypass the company and do an online wedding on your own through Utah County and save yourself hundreds of dollars if you wanted to.

Having said that, after a poster here mentioned that Gibraltar is open to all travel and has legal gay marriage (two things I was not aware of), as well as an easy marriage process for foreigners, I have shifted my focus to researching that as many here have said that if you can try to do your marriage in-person you should, since USCIS looks online and proxy marriages with much more scrutiny. 

Edited by kshoemoney

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, kshoemoney said:

From what I can gather, it is a legit wedding, but for the purposes of immigration, you would have to find a way to consummate it before filing the petition, as the USCIS would view it the same way they view proxy marriages, even though legally speaking it is a traditional marriage and your marriage certificate would look the same as one that is issued when you get married in person. Most of the licenses that come as a result of getting married with this company, are coming out of Utah County, Utah or Washington D.C., as I guess those are jurisdicitons that have pretty open marriage laws. Also people have said that you could bypass the company and do an online wedding on your own through Utah County and save yourself hundreds of dollars if you wanted to.

Having said that, after a poster here mentioned that Gibraltar is open to all travel and has legal gay marriage (two things I was not aware of), as well as an easy marriage process for foreigners, I have shifted my focus to researching that as many here have said that if you can try to do your marriage in-person you should, since USCIS looks online and proxy marriages with much more scrutiny. 

Gotcha! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing :) I hope you and your fiancé are able to get married in Gibraltar soon! ❤️

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 11:52 PM, kshoemoney said:

So, if we were to use it get married, and then find a way to meet up and “consummate” the marriage, wouldn’t that fulfill the USCIS requirement?

Thanks for your concern. Yes, we lived together last year when he was here on a J1 and have visited each other many times since, pre-covid. I appreciate that everyone would be using it if it worked but it didn’t appear that people have ever heard of it (again this isn’t legally a proxy marriage) so I was curious. Also while everyone is saying ‘don’t risk it!’, which I tend to agree with, I am curious if anyone actually knows definitively, any examples of this working/not working since it appears these are legal marriages and the licenses are issued by courts in the United States, so is worth at least looking into.

Hey someone i know did it and they got their spousal visa on it 

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This service does actually work and is legal.  Some of the rules have changed because of covid.  You don't have to consummate after the marriage.  As long as you have been together before and have proof (photos, travel tickets, hotel receipts, etc) a service like this is fine.  

However, that being said.  This one is a rip-off...  Here's a review of the service and how you can get around paying their ridiculous prices:

Very slow service and ridiculously overpriced:

They are fast to charge you and pretty good to get you up to the ceremony.  Then things change.  Extremely slow to process the apostille.  

They also rip people off with their prices.  They charge US citizens about $500USD to do the officiant services and $800USD+ if you are not US citizens.  This is the first step in ripping people off.  It doesn't matter at all- I repeat at all- to the state of Utah if you are a US citizen or not.  The process is exactly the same to get the marriage license, for them to submit the ceremony document, and for the county of Utah to issue the marriage license.  Webwed doesn't even need to go to the courthouse.  It's all done on-line.

Second rip-off.  If you need the certificate apostilled, Utah county will let you order this on their web-site and will handle all of it- ie producing the certified marriage certificate and taking it across the street to the State regulatory agency that does the apostille.  Then they will even mail it to you fedex international express.  All of this they will do overnight for ~$160USD while webwed takes 5 business days to even get the apostille and then another day just to take it to fedex- all for around $650USD.  

Why you ask?  Because webwed is so greedy that they pick the 3-5 business day option with the state to process it which only cost them around $40USD.

So do yourself a favor.  If you want to use them, only use their officiant service to perform the ceremony.  The rest you can easily do on-line yourself.  Steps:
1. Go to: https://marriage.utahcounty.gov/ and fill out the marriage license.  Pay your $10USD fee.
You will almost immediately get the approved marriage license back from the county via email.

2. Use webwed officiant services (about $350USD) to perform the ceremony.  The officiant will submit the document after the ceremony to the county of Utah and again within minutes you will have your marriage certificate with a certified copy on its way to the address you provide.  You can provide any address really.  You don't really need this first copy because you have the digitally certified copy in email from the county.

3. Go to http://www.utahcounty.gov/Dept/ClerkAud/MarriageLic/MarriageNameSearchForm.html after you receive your marriage certificate via email from the county.  Search by your first and last name.  It will return your marriage license record.  

4. On the marriage license detail page from the search results, there is a button that says "Order an Apostille".  Click this button and follow the directions, select the options you want (can include a certified copy as well for extra if you want), put in your address (USA or international), and pick the processing time you want from 3-5 business days to "next day".  Pay with credit card and place your order.  All for the much lower price of about $140-160USD depending on the options you pick...

4 hours ago, Jonathan Clark said:

This service does actually work and is legal.  Some of the rules have changed because of covid.  You don't have to consummate after the marriage.  As long as you have been together before and have proof (photos, travel tickets, hotel receipts, etc) a service like this is fine.  

Please provide official source stating that the rules have changed and that consummation of marriage is no longer required for an online marriage to be valid for US immigration purposes.  Otherwise, your statement above is inaccurate and dangerously misleading.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 6/8/2021 at 10:00 PM, Chancy said:

Please provide official source stating that the rules have changed and that consummation of marriage is no longer required for an online marriage to be valid for US immigration purposes.  Otherwise, your statement above is inaccurate and dangerously misleading.

There is no official consummation of marriage requirement in the sense of proving you e had sex with you spouse. Even the application instructions say do not send pics etc of a sexual nature.  All they need is proof that you have met in person and there’s even religious exceptions for that.  

where do you see a requirement to prove consummation? 

2 hours ago, JCC2823 said:

where do you see a requirement to prove consummation? 

It's right there in the I-130 instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf

You may NOT file Form I-130 for a person in the following categories:

4.  A spouse, if you and your spouse were not both physically present at the marriage ceremony, unless the marriage was consummated;

More importantly, it is referred to in US immigration law, specifically INA 101(a)(35) -- https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1101&num=0&edition=prelim

The term "spouse", "wife", or "husband" do not include a spouse, wife, or husband by reason of any marriage ceremony where the contracting parties thereto are not physically present in the presence of each other, unless the marriage shall have been consummated.

-----

As to when the consummation should occur for the marriage to be valid, the USCIS Adjudicator’s Field Manual notes this regarding proxy marriages when adjudicating spousal visa petitions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/policy-manual-afm/afm21-external.pdf

Consummation of a marriage can only occur after the ceremony, there is no such thing as “pre-consummation” of a marriage.

Also, from the Department of State's Foreign Affairs Manual -- https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM010208.html

A proxy marriage consummated prior to the proxy ceremony cannot be considered a valid marriage for visa adjudication purposes unless it has been consummated subsequently.

-----

If you had stated that there's no requirement to prove the sex act after marriage, no one here would have objected, as the requirement is simply to prove physical presence at the same location.  But you explicitly used the legal term in your statement: "You don't have to consummate after the marriage" -- which is contrary to US immigration law.  Then you went on to state that, "As long as you have been together before and have proof (photos, travel tickets, hotel receipts, etc) a service like this is fine." -- which contradicts the requirement for consummation AFTER the ceremony, as noted in the USCIS AFM and the DOS FAM.

[TL;DR]  To be clear -- An online wedding is fine for US immigration purposes, if the ceremony occurred in a jurisdiction where it is considered legal (like Utah), and the couple were physically in each other's presence at some point after the ceremony, before filing the I-130 petition to start the CR1/IR1 visa process.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.