KimberlyNMustpha

AssalamAlikum from Delaware <3

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I apologize for not knowing how to attach the conversation I am replying to.

• I am 52, my husband is 47.......not a big difference in our ages.
  • I have all the paperwork from the interview.  I have disclosed everything I have read and explained to me by the lawyer, there is nothing to hide, my husband is the type of guy that drives 59 in a 60mph zone because he is afraid of getting into trouble.  
  • There was obviously communication breakdown before and after an interpreter was assigned to him
  • I agree on enforcing immigration laws.  I am thankful that we have them and am not playing a victim to what has happened to my husband (then fiancé) but I do believe that we have CBP Officers that fly by the seat of their pants and make decisions based on the current flavor of the day.

I came here not to argue or defend my case.  It is what it is and I have accepted that.  I came to this forum to introduce myself and in support of how people manage their waiting time.  Every one of the cases I have read are unique in and of itself and nothing seems to be normal, just a guideline to help.  Perhaps I am using the wrong lingo.....this is new to me.  On July 12, 2017 I was contacted by CBP and told that my husband would not be entering the USA Today.   When I was faxed over the paperwork and had the several consults with the lawyer before choosing one, I was told he was banned for 5 years.  Might sound suspicious to you, but I can only go off of the paperwork/interview/ and stamp in his passport.    If there is something more to it, I am not aware of it and it was not documented int he interview.

I am just trying to survive the waiting game.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Him having a USC brother and you as a fiance, then all the paperwork with him, I definately understand why they denied him entry on basis of possibly not returning home. As for the ban, something else had to have happened because people are allowed to voluntarily leave/withdrawl all the time. Bans are very serious and it takes something more than stated to receive it. Has nothing to do with "misguided administration policies" or what not, I would expect the same from them with anyone from any country.

Now....:pop: .. 

I agree.  It certainly could be seen as a classic "enter on a B2, then file AOS" scenario, but usually, those people are just told "Go home, and file the appropriate visa".  Something is very odd here.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, KimberlyNMustpha said:

• I have all the paperwork from the interview.  I have disclosed everything I have read and explained to me by the lawyer, there is nothing to hide, my husband is the type of guy that drives 59 in a 60mph zone because he is afraid of getting into trouble.  
  • There was obviously communication breakdown before and after an interpreter was assigned to him
  • I agree on enforcing immigration laws.  I am thankful that we have them and am not playing a victim to what has happened to my husband (then fiancé) but I do believe that we have CBP Officers that fly by the seat of their pants and make decisions based on the current flavor of the day.

I came here not to argue or defend my case.  It is what it is and I have accepted that.  I came to this forum to introduce myself and in support of how people manage their waiting time.  Every one of the cases I have read are unique in and of itself and nothing seems to be normal, just a guideline to help.  Perhaps I am using the wrong lingo.....this is new to me.  On July 12, 2017 I was contacted by CBP and told that my husband would not be entering the USA Today.   When I was faxed over the paperwork and had the several consults with the lawyer before choosing one, I was told he was banned for 5 years.  Might sound suspicious to you, but I can only go off of the paperwork/interview/ and stamp in his passport.    If there is something more to it, I am not aware of it and it was not documented int he interview.

Don't worry, it may seem like the questions asked her can be aggressive sometimes but they aren't to interrogate you. There are a lot of stories here on VJ where it takes a long time to drag pieces of information out of people and without that info answers/suggestions and help can't be given. That's main reason we are all trying to really understand full scenario to better assist you in this.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

9 minutes ago, KimberlyNMustpha said:

Well hello ma'am to you and we hope you have a good day.

We are not trying to interrogate you here  it's just we are just asking question to understand everything. A lot of time we have to pull information out of people with pliers in order to help. Also the age was brought up because usually what we see on here is a USC woman about your age with a 25 year old man from Morocco or Algeria, so that's why we asked about that. 

Now that you are here we are happy you to help you out in everything that you need. You are right that every immigration case is unique so that is why we were persistent with questions so that people can look back at your post and better help you in the future. Also please fill out your timeline.

You do know there is a North Africa subforum if you want to go there to look around and ask some questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/97-middle-east-and-north-africa/

Edited by cyberfx1024

Yeah, misrepresentation is still possible later.

I still think it sounds like an expedited deportation. And an I-212 would be the waiver for this part, thanks.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Find out how Mustafa managed to take 5,000.00 dollars out of Morocco; 

Country rules and Moroccan Border Patrol is extremely tough on such ...

There could lay your answer. Also, he is either a very wealthy man or something is fishy here.

As far as wealthy, I wonder because you mentioned you d be supporting him as he completes his K1.

Lastly, why did he seem so prepared to marry if he did NOT intend to???

Good Luck!

Ps. I am just so curious why all Men from the MENA region are younger than the wives or wives to be; Knowing that those Macho Men

would never ever settle for an older woman, culturally speaking here. I hope I did not offend anyone. Just a remark. 

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Roel said:

Still doesn't explain the ban. People don't get banned for being denied entry. People don't get 5 year bans because of their culture or religion.

People get bans for overstaying their visas. Or people get banned for life for lying to the immigration.

I'm sorry, but it really looks like you don't know the full story there.

Also I believe you don't file any waivers until AFTER he will get denied on the spouse visa interview.

Also on other note, let me guess, there is a big age difference between you?

What does a big difference in age, if there is one, have to do with anything? One cannot be denied a visa based on age, it's discrimination. I am 21 years older than my husband and we didn't have one single issue in the entire immigration process, up to and including citizenship. Age was never an issue.  We have been happily married for 7 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
3 hours ago, geowrian said:

First, there is no 5 year bar for misrepresentation. Material misrepresentation is a permanent bar - nothing less.

Second, there is a 5 year bar for an expedited deportation. This usually occurs at/near the border (including at POE). Usually a CBP officer will allow an applicant for entry to withdraw their application, but it's at the discretion of the officer. Most likely, they think he was trying to immigrate on a tourist visa. This is not permitted on a tourist visa, and they decided that he was trying to evade detection and therefore imposed an expedited deportation. While not common, this is not that rare for somebody denied entry either.

Calling a lawyer while he was detained likely would not have done anything at all for him. He is applying to enter on a tourist visa...he can be denied entry on immigrant intent grounds at any time and without review.

This would be a violation of laws and policies. That said, I see nothing stated that supports this assumption. The extended stay, letters, documentation in his possession, etc. provide a strong case for immigrant intent regardless of an individual's bias in religion or nationality.

Just because they usually permit up to a 6 month visit doesn't mean you should stay for 6 months. All visitors are presumed to have immigrant intent until they show otherwise. They show this via their ties compelling them to return home, such as a job to earn money, property that needs care, etc. Somebody who can visit for 6 months tend to have difficulty showing a compelling reason to come home. It's far from impossible, but anybody planning to stay that long may have an uphill battle ahead of them.

While it's not ideal, 6 month stays are not necessary to show a bona fide relationship or marriage. yes, Morocco is a difficult consulate so I understand the desire and need to gather lots of relationship evidence before pursuing any immigration option, taking it to the extreme has its own risks...namely being denied entry. On the plus side, you are not banned from visiting Morocco (AFAIK) or a 3rd country. You can still meet and spend time together.

Your lawyer is wrong. Whether it was an expedited deportation or material misrepresentation, being married doesn't change the need for an I-601. And it has no bearing at all on I-130 adjudication...the waiver is only for a visa application, not a petition.

An I-601 can only be filed in conjunction with an immigrant visa application. So basically you must wait until the visa would otherwise be approved but is then refused due to the bar. At that point you will be presented with the option for a waiver if one exists. Then you file the waiver. Filing it any sooner will not work.

I would suggest getting a second opinion from a qualified immigration attorney that deals with waiver cases.

If the 5 year bar expires, no I-601 is necessary.

Everything is post is correct.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Cathi said:

What does a big difference in age, if there is one, have to do with anything? One cannot be denied a visa based on age, it's discrimination. I am 21 years older than my husband and we didn't have one single issue in the entire immigration process, up to and including citizenship. Age was never an issue.  We have been happily married for 7 years.

One of our Mods explained it pretty well in a post last year in this thread:

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Cathi said:

On it's own, age difference cannot be used as the SOLE reason for a denial.  But it CAN be used as one of the reasons towards a denial should there be other red flags as well.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

6 hours ago, KimberlyNMustpha said:

Good Afternoon.   Yes, that is the only reason.  I have a copy of his paperwork.  When they went through his belongings they found his birth certificate, divorce papers, and other documents that we needed for the I-129F.  Said he shouldn't have come to the US on a B1/B2 visa, knowing he was planning to get engaged/married.  They did not believe that after his 6 month stay he would be returning to Morocco.  Additionally, they said the $5000 was not enough for the 6 month stay.  In his paperwork he also had confirmation from me about sponsoring him financially and housing him.  I spoke directly to the CBP agent, they called me to confirm his story and that he was coming to my home.  6 hours later they called me to tell me he was not entering the US.  No other reason.

4 days later when he returned home and faxed me his paperwork, I hired an immigration lawyer (after consulting several from here).  Had we called a lawyer while he was still retained in Philadelphia he may not have been sent back.  I didn't know to do that, and they told me they sent him back that evening.  (They actually detained him in Philadelphia for 2 days).

Lawyer said that his religion and region of the world he comes from could have played into this. I hope that is not the case, either way, we are dealing with misguided administrative policies these days.  By the way, my husband never overstayed previous visits.  He has a USC brother in Dallas, who has been here for 28 years.

It's a catch 22.  He is given up to 6 months to visa on B1/B2, but they questioned his 6 month visit.....(which he had done previously) - Yet they later will want us to prove our relationship legit, but don't want to afford couples the opportunity to immerse into the family.  I am looking at the many blessings that surround me, I am just getting impatient.  I pray for patience. :)

There is no way your husband recieved a 5 year ban or any ban if he was denied entry into the US at POE. 2 years ago, my fiance attempted to visit me with his tourist visa and was denied entry. His visa was cancelled and he was sent back to his home country. Although he didn't have any of our fiance visa docs on him (he should have never had that on him) he was denied entry for the same reason. On April 27th, we just had our fiance interview at the embassy and we were approved and are waiting on his visa packet to he issued. 

My point in all of this is, you only get a ban if he was deported, or he requested a hearing during his POE and based on whatever findings at the hearing he was placed on a 5 year ban. If he left voluntarily, then there's no ban. 

So something doesn't seem quite right or details seem to be missing for his POE experience. 

Edited by Trinab80

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

6 hours ago, KimberlyNMustpha said:

Apologies if you think we're judging you because thats not what we're doing. The only way we can advise on the best options to follow is to know all the details. My fiance went through the same ordeal, it was a horrible experience. I actually spoke with the CBP officer at the time and they told me that they gave him the option to go home voluntarily with no ban  or receive a 5 year ban and of course he chose the first option. The CBP officer even told him and I to just file the fiance visa because this way he wouldn't have any issues and "he would be my responsibility" (his words not mine).

So it sounds like more occurred during his POE that a 5 year ban was placed on him. Either way, patience is definitely needed for this whole process and hopefully things work out for you and your husband in the end.

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

He is 47, by Moroccan standard he should marry a woman in her late 20s early 30s who can have his child/children. Unless he has already been married and done that before, and divorced. I'm sorry, but PLEASE take a bit of time to know what is really expected of MENA men as well as the language. Don't drink the kool-aid so to speak.....Be aware, that is all. 

Homeboy may have a real wife back home that they found out about, just an example. You don't really know what went on at POE because you were not there and privy to that conversation in person. Paperwork can be vague at best, especially immigration wise.

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."