PandaEat

What happens to my assets if I divorce my foreign spouse with a temporary green card?

69 posts in this topic

Current situation: My foreign spouse's 2-year green card expired in Dec 2022, and I helped her apply for a 10-year green card, it’s now in a pending state. We had a fallout during these 4 months, and I want to get a divorce. Just last week I got a letter from USCIS regarding the green card, and they gave her a temporary extension green card letter of 48 months. With her current situation is she entitled to get a split of my assets when I do the divorce? I don’t have any property only saving money. We do not have any kids. What rights does she have in terms of demanding money from me for the divorce? Can she sue me for doing the divorce? If she doesn’t sign the paperwork to divorce what are my options? Can I do the green card withdrawal or cancel the pending temporary green card?

Anyone with experience in immigration/divorce law please help answer these questions. I really appreciate your help.

Reason for divorce: Our marriage was entered in good faith, but we have a lot of problems in our relationship.  One thing is that my wife doesn't want to pay for anything.  I take care of all the bills and living situation.  She been in the US for 2.4 years and worked for 1 year and still currently working.  I asked her to help pay for the food, but she said no.  I'm to a point where I had enough of this bull.  That's why I'm divorcing her because she just using me.  I know she will fight and not want the divorce, that's why I need you guys to help me answer the above questions.  Thanks

Edited by TBoneTX
prohibited word edited

18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Hi @PandaEat I'm sorry your marriage is heading towards the divorce. Your wife has the same rights just like as if you were married to an American lady. Nothing different in regards to divorce and splitting assets. All depends on the state laws. If you live in a community property state like Arizona or California, you'd have to split anything accumulated during the marriage 50/50 with her, even if she never contributed even a dollar.

Are you sure about that? She is on a temporary GC why would she has the right to claim alimony? I thought only once she obtained the 10 years green card this can be claimed for alimony.

No, you cannot take her green card away. You did not issue it and it's not your property. Only immigration judge can take her GC away and only if she cannot prove her marriage wasn't entered in good faith.

What I meant was to talk to USCIS to cancel or withdrawal since we have problem with marriage.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** One word edited in opening post.  Please avoid profanity. ***

---------------

Your best plan is to hire an excellent divorce attorney, and to avoid accusations of spousal abuse from this time on.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
12 hours ago, PandaEat said:

Current situation: My foreign spouse's 2-year green card expired in Dec 2022, and I helped her apply for a 10-year green card, it’s now in a pending state. We had a fallout during these 4 months, and I want to get a divorce. Just last week I got a letter from USCIS regarding the green card, and they gave her a temporary extension green card letter of 48 months. With her current situation is she entitled to get a split of my assets when I do the divorce? I don’t have any property only saving money. We do not have any kids. What rights does she have in terms of demanding money from me for the divorce? Can she sue me for doing the divorce? If she doesn’t sign the paperwork to divorce what are my options? Can I do the green card withdrawal or cancel the pending temporary green card?

Anyone with experience in immigration/divorce law please help answer these questions. I really appreciate your help.

Reason for divorce: Our marriage was entered in good faith, but we have a lot of problems in our relationship.  One thing is that my wife doesn't want to pay for anything.  I take care of all the bills and living situation.  She been in the US for 2.4 years and worked for 1 year and still currently working.  I asked her to help pay for the food, but she said no.  I'm to a point where I had enough of this bull.  That's why I'm divorcing her because she just using me.  I know she will fight and not want the divorce, that's why I need you guys to help me answer the above questions.  Thanks

Your assets will be split the same as any US citizen would in the state in which you are.

You have absolutely 0 power over her green card. You said marriage was entered in good faith. Leave this part alone as any spiteful action can be used against you in case of ugly divorce court.

If you want a divorce do it and move on. Be prepared to give up 50% of what you accumulated during your marriage. Likely spousal support too if you make much more than she does.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

not knowing your state ,  u should google this info

your wife does not have to leave your living quarters 

and she left family,  friends and home to be with u so go lightly

and understand that some states u need to be legally separated for a year before court will grant a divorce

14 hours ago, PandaEat said:

lets not get carried way. you might be frustrated but its not the end of the world. move on with your life and a positive vibe for the future

file for divorce and move on..

divorce and immigration are two different matters. your assets will be split based on the state laws. what happens to immigration is her problem now.

duh

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
14 hours ago, PandaEat said:

Think outside the conventional box. I will leave it at that

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.