veronicabiondi

Husband is an Inmate..What do we do?

95 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm a British/Greek national. I live in England but my husband is incarcerated in Ohio. He has been incarcerated for the last 20 years. We met in 2018 and we got married in 2019. We followed the process from the beginning until then end. We received the warden's approval, we went through the process and we got married .  I really need some advice from anyone who has experienced similar thing.

So far so good. Earlier this year, we decided to hire an Immigration attorney so that we can kick off the US Spouse Visa application process. They all discouraged me. Only 2 accepted to take my case and that with conditions.

His release date is 2034.  He was sentenced for armed robbery and involuntary manslaughter. He has been eligible for Judicial release but he hasn't filed yet. I hired one of the best attorneys in Ohio, to represent him for the judicial process. He's filing next year although we do anticipate that he will get rejected first time. Before I go into detail, I must say that I never had a problem hiring an immigrations attorney in the first place. They charge a lot of money but so be it, the problem we had with most of them is that they didn't know how to handle such a case. Mr.A would say this, Mr.B would say the other. To me that was/is a problem. If I was to pay 20k$ you better tell me where I stand and not "I will let you know". After chatting with more or less 8 different attorneys, I decided to pause and not to do anything. I had arguments with my husband(yes, he's my husband despite what people think), that we have to keep looking for another attorney or me trying to reach out online for help (so this is what I'm doing). He really does not understand why is it so difficult. I do (but that's because I'm the immigrant).

So here are some details for those who need context and think they can help. My husband has nobody, no financial support from anyone in his family. I'm the only one he has. Thankfully, I'm doing financially well. I'm a software architect and work as a contractor in the UK. I bought a property in Ohio and I managed to add my husband as an owner of that property. The property has a value of 300,000USD. Outside of that I have a property in the UK, cars plus a few bank accounts. I have business accounts and HMRC(uncle Sam) books that show taxes, payments etc (in other words I'm not a drug dealer). All my income is traceable and linked to the work I do.

I visit him every 4-5 months. I have also been supporting him financially since we got together. Phone calls via GTL, Commissaries, food/hygiene, recreation, Video Visits all in all, his expenses are roughly 10,000USD annually since 2019. Again, all that is traceable. I have met his step mother and my mother has also visited him.

I have been travelling on ESTA every time and I don't stay more than 7-8 days. I'm there just to visit him and then next day after the last visit day, I'm going home. One attorney said to me "You can try a working Visa". I'm not interested to migrate to the States to find work!! I have work. The reason I want to move is my husband, that's all!  If we file and I get rejected, we will have more problems. I prefer to visit him on ESTA rather than go a head to apply, get rejected and then never see him again for years.

I'm a 40 years old female professional. I don't have children, I don't have problems. I've always lived a very routine--professional-quiet life. I Went to university and then afterwards started working like a dog, as many of us have.

I married a US prisoner because when I saw his picture first time accidentally, the time stopped for me. I loved him very much and he loved me back. We made this choice, to walk this path no matter how hard it is and we don't regret it.

With this honest message, I call out anyone who had similar experience. What did they do? Also, did they hire an attorney or they file themselves? 

Thanks for reading.

Edited by veronicabiondi

Thank you for your reply what your reply is incorrect. That's not what I read here https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/income-requirements-for-green-card/ (Can I include income from the relative seeking the green card?)

I can tell you that more than few attorneys have also advised that we can use my assets and they have also provided references to the law. I can also provide more links to support that. Among all the difficulties, this was never the problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Paging @mallafri76

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Thank you Rocio0010If that's indeed the case and he needs to meet the financial requirements(I was literally told the opposite from attorneys that I paid for consultation), then we are in the process to add him as the main owner of the property that I purchased in Ohio. We have initiated that process so basically he will have assets. Would that count?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 minutes ago, veronicabiondi said:

Thank you Rocio0010If that's indeed the case and he needs to meet the financial requirements(I was literally told the opposite from attorneys that I paid for consultation), then we are in the process to add him as the main owner of the property that I purchased in Ohio. We have initiated that process so basically he will have assets. Would that count?

Thanks

Assets cant be primary home. Will this be rental property? Plus all assets if you choose to use them would have to be in a US bank account of petitioner. Your property in your country also does not count unless you sell it and deposit monies in US bank account.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Assets cant be primary home. Will this be rental property? Plus all assets if you choose to use them would have to be in a US bank account of petitioner. Your property in your country also does not count unless you sell it and deposit monies in US bank account.

She can rent an apartment in the USA to be the primary home. Or buy another home in joint title. Or open a joint bank account. 

Scott Fitzgerald famously wrote: Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand.”

There is no I-864 issue here.  

edit: OP my compliments on the inspired choice of avatar for your profile. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.