veronicabiondi

Husband is an Inmate..What do we do?

95 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JamieCO1 said:

All visa sponsors go through background checks as part of the application. Certain crimes make you ineligible to be a sponser,  usually sex offenses, however, anything with violence is going to get greater scrutiny.

Once again, I don't see bank robbery or involuntary manslaughter making anyone ineligible.  Of course they do a background checks when you submit a fiance or spousal visa, this is pretty much common knowledge.......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing much has changed over 6 pages, the issue is more financial and a joint sponsor would seem to be the solution as the House etc scheme seems fraught with major issues, the extent of which I certainly would not wish to be involved in.

And of course VJ is Visa Journey not Judgement, we do not judge.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

18 hours ago, devoted72 said:
21 hours ago, Stranger Things said:

@veronicabiondi you can immigrate to the US with a husband in prison , it has been done by a few people on this site and others who are not. There was a women from France who immigranted to the US with her husband on death row so it's not impossible. As for the interview ,USCIS policy Manuel chapter 5 - interview guidelines clearly stated the interview can be waived for incarcerated petitioners. If you look up @Mattelo on this site you will see she successfully received her green card with a  husband who has a life sentence. If you can prove your marriage is valid , you obviously can because you have the evidence to show , you can prove you will not need government assistance and or have joint sponsor who meets the requirements there is NO reason for your green card to be denied. @Jill Mackie mentioned on this post , uploaded 400+ pages of evidence of an 7 year relationship. That's longer most people who have a "normal marriage" stay married for . You could easily complete the application yourself without wasting money on an attorney , most of them are clueless when it comes to cases that are out of the norm. It can be done , it has been done , so you should be just fine. Good luck and don't listen to those who judge , it's nobody's business but yours. 

Finally a high vibe answer, I also have asked a couple of questions and marginally found help. Most of all are always judgmental cause do not believe in the bona fide of the marriage. Only women like us, married to an inmate, can understand. We are here in this forum to ask for help, cause, even the best attorney can make mistake. Thus, God bless you for your " it can be done, it has to be done", in addition, the reason why women with our situation don't share the final result of the journey might be because,  regarding our specific case, we always find a lot of ostracysm and no willing to help. That's for my experience. God bless all of you who try to support us, no matter what

@devoted72 please know that the majority of posters ask questions , get what they want and sign off never to be heard from again..few stay just to help others. 

You are first person going through  EXACTLY the same process to engage in this post…and you are doing the process DIY! 

Here is one example of what a Consular Officer asked at the interview : Lots of questions on nature of convictions and “ contact “ visits , but not all facilities allow such and one should be prepared for whatever Questions come up . 

Info on IV interview on thread from 2017:

OP, I was able to successfully immigrate to the US with my husband in prison. We did the IR-1 and at the time of my interview, my husband still had nine years left on his sentence. He's down to three years now thanks to President Obama's clemency powers. :) 

Anyway, at the interview, most of the questions I got were around my husband's crime, sentence length and our visits. The CO made it very clear that he wanted to make sure that we had contact visits because without contact, he wouldn't consider it a bona fida marriage. Now this is just what this CO said and there probably aren't specific rules about this, it's up to each CO.

Can a death row inmate petition his spouse?

By SianEdwardEvans,  February 11, 2017 in Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas 

@Family by contact visits you mean visits in person? Being married, I'm allowed to sit next to him but you only get one hug when you go in and when you leave but other than that you can't really do anything else and if you try it the CO will end the visit. I mean on Saturdays, visits tend to be more "free" so he might squeeze in an extra kiss but that's about it and that is too risky!

9 hours ago, veronicabiondi said:

by contact visits you mean visits in person? Being married, I'm allowed to sit next to him but you only get one hug when you go in and when you leave but other than that you can't really do anything else and if you try it the CO will end the visit. I mean on Saturdays, visits tend to be more "free" so he might squeeze in an extra kiss but that's about it and that is too risk

The VJ thread quoted the CO as referring to “ contact visits” ,  though I believe he meant in-person visits. In reality no matter the type of or even lack of  “ contact visits” CO was asking for, bonafides can be proven even for those beneficiaries that do not ESTA or have been refused B1/B2. ( as long as married in person, so at least one)

It’s just good to be prepared .

In a recent reg. spousal visa  thread a Beneficiary wife was actually asked by the CO when she last had sex with her USC husband…( am not writing this for sensationalism), just a heads up so you get less sensitive .

The reality is that marriage to an inmate / lifer or not is out of the norm and it’s human nature to judge and be judged, but as I understand the rules of VJ in the process forum ( where your post is) people need to play nice whereas in the off topic forum anyone can say whatever they want…and public figures are ridiculed non stop. 

You are a good writer, you garnered much attention, use to your advantage to prepare  and figure out when you are ready. ..it has been DIY ed successfully. 

Edited by Family

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.